willoyd

Willoyd's Tour of the States.

21 hours ago, willoyd said:

still not half way!

Nearly though! Were these last changes just for preference? I know it's considered a classic but I hated In Cold Blood, it made me feel really uncomfortable. 

21 hours ago, Hayley said:

Nearly though! Were these last changes just for preference? I know it's considered a classic but I hated In Cold Blood, it made me feel really uncomfortable. 

I'm an inveterate list maker and tweaker!  I set out my criteria, but at the time I made the original list I knew a lot less about American literature than I do now (I still don't know it well!).  In particular, I'm finding out more about where books are set, and which books are 'famous' - America literature appears much more regional, and authors who might be very well known in and around their state may be virtually unknown elsewhere.  Just to give one example, I'd barely heard of Wendell Berry before starting the tour, but he's one of only two (I think) living authors published by Library of America.

As a result, I've been shuffling books around on and off.  The latest shift around was triggered by the fact that I decided that 'In Cold Blood' didn't sufficiently fit the criteria, and that I really wanted to include Prodigal Summer as the book for Virginia as other books didn't fit as neatly.  But that meant shifting around elsewhere too.....

My aim is that by the end I'll have read a really good cross-section of twentieth century American literature. I've already read some stonking books - a couple of  six star reads, a fair number of fives, and several authors I definitely want to follow up, or have already started to follow up, further: Willa Cather, Larry McMurtrey, Wendell Berry and Louise Erdrich just for starters (oh and, of course, Toni Morrison!).

23 minutes ago, willoyd said:

My aim is that by the end I'll have read a really good cross-section of twentieth century American literature. I've already read some stonking books - a couple of  six star reads, a fair number of fives, and several authors I definitely want to follow up, or have already started to follow up, further: Willa Cather, Larry McMurtrey, Wendell Berry and Louise Erdrich just for starters (oh and, of course, Toni Morrison!).

Your method of tweaking the list as you go is working then! 

24 minutes ago, willoyd said:

America literature appears much more regional, and authors who might be very well known in and around their state may be virtually unknown elsewhere.

I do find that very interesting. It's not something I'd thought about before.