Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2016

Little Pixie

New books ! 

Books1 are books I got with a Xmas voucher from a lovely friend ( top row, with the Marie Kondo Book). When I ordered, Amazon were doing a ` spend £50, get £10 off` day - and I wanted Arrow S1-3 BluRay and the latest Coldplay CD too, which meant I spent enough to qualify for the promotion - the second row ( with No Bed for Bacon ) are those free books.  :cows: And `cos I`d ordered any book, Amazon gave me a free Kindle book too ( from a choice of 6, I picked Divergent ).  

Book 2 are books from the Save the Kitties shop, all 50p each ( I also got a beautiful hardback of Amy Tan`s Saving Fish from Drowning, to replace my paperback ).

Books3 are other books wot I got recently. :)

Er, viewing some books may involve the use of Yoga poses.  :giggle2:

post-9890-0-06086500-1456416140_thumb.jpg

post-9890-0-20024000-1456416200_thumb.jpg

post-9890-0-74926100-1456416255_thumb.jpg

Edited by Little Pixie

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow you have a long TBR list. Good luck with it! It's also interesting that you're including how much you spent on books this year. I'd hate to think how much I spend on books :doh:

Thanks ! I did hope that keeping an eye on book buying would make me more likely to read from my TBR rather than buy books, but clearly that didn`t happen.  :hide:

• 2 weeks later...

#36   Hourglass - Myra McEntire     I really liked the plot ( girl can see ghosts, but it turns out that there`s much more going on than she thought... ) , but some of the characters tended to act like they were in a Russian melodrama.

#37   The Complete Peanuts  1995-98 - Charles M Schulz   Just one more wonderful volume to go now. *sniff*

#38   The Black Piano - Constance and Gwenyth Little     Woman is almost murdered but can`t identify which of her family is responsible. A corpse turns up, and her family identify her as dead and inherit all her money. She gets plastic surgery and starts snooping around, to find out whodunnit. Usually, these are screwball comedies, but this one was a bit of a downer - good plot though.  :smile:

#39   The Ghost and Mrs McClure - Alice Kimberley  Excerpt     Woman running old family bookshop realises that only she can communicate with a 1940`s detective ghost, and together they find out who murdered a writer in her bookshop. Great fun. 

#40   A Key to Death - Frances and Richard Lockridge     The Norths consult a lawyer in order to leave their estate to family members who will take care of their cats, just in case something happens to them. Instead, something happens to the lawyer... and the Norths investigate the death. 

#41  The Impossible lives of Greta Wells - Andrew Sean Greer    Excerpt    Starting off in New York in 1985, this time-slip novel involves Greta, whose brother is dying of AIDS and whose partner of a decade has left her for another woman. Struggling with depression, her Doctor suggests a particular therapy...which has unusual results...    While there are magical bits, this is more about Greta and her choices, looking at ` what could have been`. I found this so compelling that I read it in one sitting.  :smile:

#42   The Line - JD Horn      Excerpt   Savannah native Mercy Taylor is the one non-Witch in a long established family. Living her own life, with a job as a tour guide and her non-magical normal boyfriend, she gets sucked into the Family Business when a crime occurs, and finds out that her Family isn`t what it seems.Great fun.   :D

Edited by Little Pixie

Books read : 42                        TBR 808              New Books Bought : 23                       Total Cost : £ 43.55

I bought 5 books ( for £15.38 ) - the next 4 books in the Haunted Bookshop series ( Alice Kimberly ) and Dressed to Kill - Kelley Roos, a 1940`s New York mystery.  :smile:

Books read : 42                        TBR 816              New Books Bought : 31                       Total Cost : £ 72.88

More books :

Bridget Jones : Mad about the Boy - Helen Fielding

Postscript to Poison - Dorothy Bowers

Dancing with Death - Joan Coggin

Tail Gait - Rita Mae Brown

Bad Faith - Aimee Thurlo

Trail of the Spellmans - Lisa Lutz

Invisible City - Julia Dahl

Penelope Passes - Joan Coggin 

:smile:

Edited by Little Pixie

Sadly, the publisher ( Rue Morgue Press ) which brought out a lot of 1940`s reissues has stopped trading. I must have 30 or more of their books. * Sad sigh*.

Awwww :(.

I really like the Bridget Jones books. I hope you enjoy all of your new books :D!

Awwww :(.

I really like the Bridget Jones books. I hope you enjoy all of your new books :D!

Thanks ! I also treated myself to some sweeties ( sherbons - I don`t know if you get them in the Netherlands ? They`re a fruity boiled sweet with a sherbert filling. :) )

Hope you enjoy your new books! I can't say I know any of them - even the Bridget Jones one. I knew there were two books, the ones adapted into films. Are there more?!

Thanks ! I got the 3rd Bridget Jones book ( that`s it, so far... )  :smile:

I read an interview with Spanish author Javier Marias recently ( here`s another one I found on line ) - I`d never heard of him before, but I do like the look of his book All Souls.  Another one for the get-to-at-some-point list.  :smile:

Gretchen Rubin - Tips for getting more reading done.   Lots of good tips in the comment section too. :)

Edited by Little Pixie

Thanks ! I also treated myself to some sweeties ( sherbons - I don`t know if you get them in the Netherlands ? They`re a fruity boiled sweet with a sherbert filling. :) )

We don't have those in the Netherlands, but they sound interesting :).

#43   Death and the Dead Deb - Alice Kimberly    Another author visits Penelope`s bookshop and gets bumped off. Pen and her resident ghost Jack investigate. Fun.

#44   The Black Honeymoon - Constance and Gwenyth Little   Can you murder someone with feathers ? is the tagline for this screwball comedy mystery. Wartime nurse Miriel marries soldier Ian after a whirlwind romance and they move into his family`s home for their honeymoon. Turning up, they find their honeymoon on hold when a group of Ian`s relatives have also turned up... and moved in. Ian`s rich Uncle then dies mysteriously whilst Miriel is nursing him alone in the hospital, and she starts investigating ( before the Police arrest her as a likely suspect) alongside Kelly, her father`s friend and private investigator ( who dons a fake moustache and goes undercover as a butler ). Miriel is wonderfully sarcastic and likeable, having to deal with all sorts of odd goings on ( there`s moaning in the empty attic, a ghost in the garden, and a macabre, jaw-droppingly twisty ending which I didn`t see coming. ) Great fun.:)

I read an interview with Spanish author Javier Marias recently ( here`s another one I found on line ) - I`d never heard of him before, but I do like the look of his book All Souls.  Another one for the get-to-at-some-point list.  :smile:

Gretchen Rubin - Tips for getting more reading done.   Lots of good tips in the comment section too. :)

Thanks for posting the Marias article!  Great reading.  He is one of my favorite authors. I've read several of his, including All Souls.  BTW, the main character in All Souls is the same one that features in The Infatuations.   You definitely don't need to read one to enjoy the other though.  Totally separate. 

Tomorrow in the Battle Think of Me is another I can think of off the top of my head. 

Thanks to your link, I'm now reading The Man of Feeling by Marias.  :)

Thanks for posting the Marias article!  Great reading.  He is one of my favorite authors. I've read several of his, including All Souls.  BTW, the main character in All Souls is the same one that features in The Infatuations.   You definitely don't need to read one to enjoy the other though.  Totally separate. 

Tomorrow in the Battle Think of Me is another I can think of off the top of my head. 

Thanks to your link, I'm now reading The Man of Feeling by Marias.  :)

Ooh, I hadn`t heard of him at all, so it`s great that you`re giving him a thumbs-up, being a `proper reader ` and all.  :D I am tempted by All Souls, though I think it`ll be one of those ` need to be in the mood ` to read books ( those complex sentences seem like the sort of thing requiring dedicated reading, rather than  my current ` pick up during TV adverts` mode of reading ).  :smile:

#45   How the Light Gets In - Louise Penny    The 9th in the Inspector Gamache series. A woman in her 70`s goes missing just after visiting the village of Three Pines, and Gamache investigates, finding that the victim was once world-famous. As the book goes on, a smaller storyline ( corruption in the Surete ) takes over and it turns into one of the most nail-bitingly suspenseful books I`ve read in a long time. If there`s a thing as too page-turnery, this is it ; I almost turned to the end of the book to make sure that my favourite characters would be okay. :blush2:

Books read : 45                       TBR 812              New Books Bought : 33                       Total Cost : £ 80.91

Books bought - £8.03 - The Basle Express- Manning Coles ( another Rue Morgue Press classic),    All Souls - Javier Marias ( Kate says he`s good  ;) )

I also got a whole bunch of Maigret books for Kindle, 12 @ 99p. :)

Edited by Little Pixie