First Line of Current Book - 2016

bobblybear

It Should've been a perfect night.  I was out for a midnight stroll along a dark, deserted highway, somewhere in the middle of Kentucky.

Lights Out by James Patterson the last book in the series of Daniel X.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the morning the last Lisbon daughter took her turn at suicide - it was Mary this time, and sleeping pills, like Therese - the two paramedics arrived at the house knowing exactly where the knife drawer was, and the gas oven, and the beam in the basement from which it was possible to tie a rope.

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

"Know that two thousand, one hundred, and seventy-one conventional years have passed since the Terran Exodus. Today is the fifth-sixth day of the third month." the pale man said. (I know that's two lines, but I felt it made more sense by quoting two lines).

Scott Meyer - Master of Formalities

"On the pleasant shore of the French Riviera, about halfway between Marseilles and the Italian border, stands a proud, rose-colored hotel."

- Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife"

Pride and prejudice - Jane Austen

Got to be one of the most famous opening lines in the history of literature that...

"At ten to nine on a June morning, a shining and brilliant morning that promised a day of great heat, a lady of sixty-three cycled through the streets of Oxford."

- Kolymsky Heights by Lionel Davidson

"When I check my pocket watch, it's already gone twenty past seven. I'm standing in the rain outside Zetterberg's house, where the city's most fashionable street confronts the back lanes."

- Clinch by Martin Holmén

I've just finished this book so it's still clear in my memory, but i love the opening lines of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, it really caught my attention.

First the colors. Then the humans. That's usually how I see things. Or at least, how I try. Here is a small fact - You are going to die.

I've just finished this book so it's still clear in my memory, but i love the opening lines of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, it really caught my attention.

First the colors. Then the humans. That's usually how I see things. Or at least, how I try. Here is a small fact - You are going to die.

Do you cry when you read this? (I mean the whole book, not the opening line ;)).

Jeeves placed the sizzling eggs and b. on the breakfast table, and Reginald ('Kipper') Herring and I, licking the lips, squared our elbows and got down to it.

Jeeves in the Offing by PG Wodehouse

:D