• Announcements

• Michelle

Important Announcement!   07/28/2018

Dear BCF members,   This forum has been running now for many years, and over that time we have seen many changes. Generalised forums are nowhere near as popular as they once were, and they have been very much taken over by blogs, vlogs and social media discussions. Running a forum well takes money, and a lot of care and attention, as there is so much which goes on behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly.   With all of this in mind, and after discussion within the current moderator team, the decision has been made to close this forum in its current format. I know that this will disappoint a lot of our long term members, but I want to reassure you that it's not a decision which has been taken lightly.    The remaining moderator team have agreed that we do not want to lose everything which is special about our home, and so we are starting a brand new facebook group, so that people can stay in touch, and discussions can continue. We can use it for free and should be easier for us to run (it won't need to be updated or hosted). We know not everyone has FaceBook, but we hope that those of you who are interested will join the group. We will share the link, and send invites as soon as we are ready to go. Added: We may as well get this going, find us here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195289821332924/   The forum will close to new registrations, but will remain open for some time, to allow people to collect up any information, reading lists etc they need to, and to ensure they have contact details for those they wish to stay in touch with.    The whole team feel sad to say goodbye, but we also feel that it's perhaps time and that it feels like the right choice. We hope we can stay in touch with all of you through our new FaceBook group.   I personally want to thank everyone who has helped me moderate the forum, both in the past and the present, and I also want to thank every single person who has visited, and shared their love of books.. I'm so proud of everything we've achieved, and the home we built.   Please visit the new section in the Lounge section to discuss this further, ask questions etc.
~Andrea~

Andrea's reading in 2016

Sorry to hear you've been having a stressful time, Andrea. I hope things get better for you.  :empathy:

:empathy:   Life's just been in the way, and it's been too stressful... I'm not sure even the most promising book could've enticed you at this point! Sometimes life is what it is and reading takes a backseat, unfortunately. It's not great, but what can one do. It's not fun to force one's reading... Reading should always be a pleasure, not a chore. I hope you'll find better and more relaxing times ahead of you, to catch up on your reading (and to catch up on some serenity in your life)!  :friends3:

Feeling a lot better. I still have little appetite for fiction but I have at least read a few books, all on theology or christian spirituality, which seems to be what I do have an appetite for at the moment!

The Pursuit of God - A W Tozer

Celebration of Discipline - Richard Foster

Simply Christian - Tom Wright

My mojo is definitely picking up!

I really enjoyed Spectacles by Sue Perkins. It's a quick easy read and really had me laughing out loud throughout. It was also rather poignant in places. She writes as she speaks and you can just imagine her talking as you're reading. She comes across as a very warm person full of humour and she comes from a humorous family. I loved the cheese story! Definitely recommend this.

I'm now reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I'm enjoying so far, with a few reservations which I'll save for later, but we'll see how it pans out.

Thank you lau_lou.

Well I really enjoyed The Handmaid's tale. It was a strange little story but beautifully written, and even though not a great deal happens in it, it was a very engaging read.

I've just started The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill. So far so good!

I enjoyed the Susan Hill book, Andrea, the rest of the series gets a bit patchy later on, but the first one is excellent.

I'm now reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I'm enjoying so far, with a few reservations which I'll save for later, but we'll see how it pans out.

I'm curious: what were your reservations? :)  

I'm happy to hear your mojo's back! :smile2:  :readingtwo:

Thanks Sari.

Well failry early on in the book I found one of the scenes a bit over the top. I think it was one where they were:

in the gymnasium and someone was singled out for having been raped and having an abortion and everyone was made to chant "it's her fault, it's her fault". The scene just made me wonder if the book was going to completely lack any subtlety while making its point.

However the book was so well written, and this was the only alarm bell, so after reading it I think overall it worked well.

I mean, it was a very strange book, but I did enjoy reading it.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Well failry early on in the book I found one of the scenes a bit over the top. I think it was one where they were:

in the gymnasium and someone was singled out for having been raped and having an abortion and everyone was made to chant "it's her fault, it's her fault". The scene just made me wonder if the book was going to completely lack any subtlety while making its point.

However the book was so well written, and this was the only alarm bell, so after reading it I think overall it worked well.

I mean, it was a very strange book, but I did enjoy reading it.

Ah, I understand :) It's been quite a few years since I read the book so I don't remember many particulars about it. I'm glad you still enjoyed reading it! :)