Poppyshake's Reading Year 2016

poppyshake

I have a bit of a list...in my head! They have a small section dedicated to Agatha Christie (and then the rest of the crime/mysteries are thrown in together) so I'll be heading to her section first so I can pick up any I don't already have, but only if they're the particular editions that you and I have. ;) From there I'll probably wing it!

Ah yes .. the all important covers :D 

I wonder how many books you'll come home with Kylie :D Look forward to seeing the list of the one or two books you bring home with you ;):lol: 

Well, it had the *proper* cover so I couldn't pass it by, could I? :D

.. and very beautiful it is too :) Thanks Claire :hug: 

I hope you enjoy The Redbreast I really enjoyed it when I read it.

Thanks Brian :) That's very encouraging! 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

spectacles.jpg
Spectacles by Sue Perkins

Synopsis:
Spectacles is the hilarious, creative and incredibly moving memoir from much loved comedian, writer and presenter Sue Perkins. When I began writing this book, I went home to see if my mum had kept some of my stuff. What I found was that she hadn't kept some of it. She had kept all of it - every bus ticket, postcard, school report - from the moment I was born to the moment I finally had the confidence to turn round and say 'Why is our house full of this shhhhhhh?' Sadly, a recycling 'incident' destroyed the bulk of this archive. This has meant two things: firstly, Dear Reader, you will never get to see countless drawings of wizards, read a poem about corn on the cob, or marvel at the kilos of brown flowers I so lovingly pressed as a child. Secondly, it's left me with no choice but to actually write this thing myself. This, my first ever book, will answer questions such as 'Is Mary Berry real?', 'Is it true you wear a surgical truss?' and 'Is a non-spherically symmetric gravitational pull from outside the observable universe responsible for some of the observed motion of large objects such as galactic clusters in the universe?' Most of this book is true. I have, of course, amplified my more positive characteristics in an effort to make you like me. Thank you for reading.

Review: I do love Sue! I've always liked her so this was a must. It doesn't really contain any big revelations .. not sure it's as in depth as I would like but it's very, very, readable and funny. She makes it clear at the start that there'll probably be some embellishing .. and probably downright lying but for all that it's not silly (looking at you Miranda Hart) because Sue has too much wit for that. She also makes it clear that she comes from a family who find it hard to show emotion so that's probably why we are only scratching the surface here. Lots of great background info on her and Mel, where and how they met and their beginnings etc including details of all their early, very shoddy and completely unrehearsed first stand up gigs and more than touching on the supposed fact that Mel can't keep her bowels in order pre performance :blush2:
 The one thing I love about them is how much they love one another. I'm always so disappointed when it's revealed that a comedy double act can't stick each other. It takes the shine off.

There are hardly any photo's included but quite a few drawings and homework projects from when she was young .. including teacher's comments etc .. so sweet and also funny with Sue's added captions.

Having sad that she's unemotional, she's clearly not .. as anyone who reads her letter/tribute to her dog (called 'I Had You Killed') will tell you, very moving .. though also funny .. the dog would understand .. she lived with Sue for a long time.

Anyway, if you like Sue already .. you'll love this. If you don't this probably won't change your mind as it's very Sue-ey! You can hear her voice loud and clear. Having said previously that I don't really laugh out loud when I read .. this proved a rare exception. I howled at times especially when Sue recounted the hideous encounter she had with the Gorillagram (with dubious personal hygiene) .. ordered by Mel for Sue's 30th. To say he wouldn't take no for an answer is an understatement .. lots of dry humping from him and dry retching from Sue. Mel claims he was only supposed to read poetry :D

I would have liked to know a bit more .. which is a compliment to her as sometimes I can't wait to be done with some celeb autobiographies. Liked it! 

onelastthing.jpg
One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper

Synopsis:
Meet Silver. Forty-four, divorced and living alone. His once celebrated music career is now a faded memory and his ex-wife is about to marry another man. The only good thing in Silver's life is his Princeton-bound teenage daughter, Casey - and she would probably say the exact opposite about him. So in Silver's opinion, things could be going better ...a lot better. Then Casey drops a bombshell: she's pregnant. Yes, it was her first time, and, no, she hasn't told her mom. Silver knows things have got to change, and when he discovers he has a fatal heart condition that means he could drop dead at any minute, he decides it's time to make a list: 1. Be a better father 2. Be a better man 3. Fall in love 4. Die But the question is, can Silver rebuild his life, regain the respect of his family, and be there for Casey when she needs him most, or has he left it all too late?

Review: Great read, quite similar to the other one I've read of his (This is Where I Leave You) .. but this one was even more of a mix of funny and sad. Lots of laugh out loud moments (or the closest I get to it) .. I loved Silver and his band of misfit mates .. most of which are abandoned husbands .. all living together in what sounds like the 'Last Hope Hotel' :D There's some comfort in being in the same boat as others .. some stability. They're quite shaken when one of their number leaves to move back in with his wife .. he's giving it another go! They're both sceptical and envious.
Silver's daughter was just a little unbelievable .. a bit too fictional. There were a lot of arguments between her and Silver where I ended up almost getting involved in the dialogue .. urging him to say the stuff he needed to say etc. This is quite usual though .. once I'm committed :blush2:
  His illness manifested itself in peculiar ways .. for instance he starts speaking all of his thoughts out loud (or the most embarrassing ones anyway.) This of course leads to cringe city!

The ending was a surprise .. quite brave. Not sure I was entirely happy with it but then impossible to say what I would have been happy with. On balance it was probably for the best .. it didn't go down that line where everything is a little too conveniently (and implausibly) tied up. Overall it was a very witty and enjoyable read. It stayed on the right side of sentimental too. Many thanks to Claire for lending it to me :smile: Liked it!

I'm getting behind again (with reviews .. though not with reading. Goodreads informs me that I am one book ahead so woohoo! :D  :cows:

This is always a busy time (for me) for book buying/acquiring .. and I was lucky enough to get three new books for Valentine's Day :wub: I say lucky but I actually put two of the books into Alan's hands .. when we were last out having coffee with Claire and Janet so I'm not sure he had options  :blush2: .. it was going to be a long day/week/year for him otherwise  :D

At the moment he's very busy with work and travelling so is happy for me to take these sort of shortcuts when it comes to present buying and it's only a tiny bit more aggressive than my usual pointing/making sheep's eyes  :D 

valentinesbooks2016.jpg

Just look at the one in the middle!! .. be still my beating heart. I mean the title .. and then the cover!! :wub:  :D It's a hardback .. I'm getting more and more into hardbacks, I don't know what's come over me .. well .. in this instance .. I wasn't going to take the chance that the paperback would be as gorgeous .. they're not always you know *outraged* The one on the right is about a library (I hope it is anyway .. it better NOT be a misleading title :D *note to self .. must read blurb in future :D* ) The one on the left is going to be a challenge I think, but a really good, thought provoking challenge, I hope. I glanced at the opening page and the writing is just stunning.

Looking forward to reading all three anyway  :smile: 

Need to write down some thoughts on the books I've read so far .. just a few random scribblings. Get me up to date .. ish! :D  

justwilliam.jpg morewilliam.jpg
Just William & More William by Richmal Crompton

Synopsis:
There is only one William. This tousle-headed, snub-nosed, hearty, loveable imp of mischief has been harassing his unfortunate family and delighting his hundreds of thousands of admirers since 1922.

Review: Oh what larks! :D I think I read a couple of William books when I was a girl .. you'll forgive me for forgetting .. it was back in the black & white days! :D Anyway, for some reason or the other they didn't click with me particularly but I saw the recent(ish) TV drama and loved it and then it was put forward for a group read on here so I thought I'd give the first one at least a try.

Boy am I glad I did because they are hilarious. The thing that strikes me most about them is the way in which Richmal addresses her readers .. as if they're intelligent beings. William is eleven and I guess his followers would probably have been (mostly) boys of about eight upwards. I remember back then not having much faith in a boy's intelligence because I was pretty sure they were all as dense as fog! :blush2: Richmal knew better and I'm so glad because it makes the books an absolute joy to read for adults as well as children. They are absolutely uproarious. William is the King of bad behaviour. He owns it. But it's not necessarily consciously done .. it's just innate. The birthday party he throws for himself when his family are away for the day is just epic. Midnight feasts .. bah!! This is the way to cause havoc! :D Another thing I like about the stories (each chapter is a little individual story of its own) is that Richmal doesn't labour over William's punishments. She mostly just darkly hints at the retribution to come :D 

I've decided to carry on with the books for the time being, just because of the sheer enjoyment. They actually could be marketed as a tonic. You can dip in and out and they invariably cheer you up and make you giggle. Whether they'll be consistent I don't know but so far, so good :) 

I'll just write up a paragraph here (so much for keeping it short  :blush2: ) to give you a taste.

'William had a strong imagination. When an idea took hold upon his mind, it was almost impossible for him to let it go. He was quite accustomed to Joan's adoring homage. The scornful mockery of his auburn-haired friend was something quite new, and in some strange fashion it intrigued and fascinated him. Mentally he recalled her excited little face, flushed with eagerness as she described the expected spread. Mentally also he conceived a vivid picture of the long waiting on Christmas Eve, the slowly fading hope, the final bitter disappointment. While engaging in furious snowball fights with Ginger, Douglas and Henry, while annoying peaceful passers-by with well-aimed snow missiles, while bruising himself and most of his family black and blue on long and glassy slides along the garden paths, while purloining his family's clothes to adorn various unshapely snowmen, while walking across all the ice (preferably cracked) in the neighbourhood and being several times narrowly rescued from a watery grave - while following all these light holiday pursuits, the picture of the little auburn-haired girl's disappointment was ever vividly present in his mind.'

That's another thing I liked .. William .. is more than a little susceptible to the charms of women/girls :D Liked it! Very much! 

goingoffalarming.jpg
Going Off Alarming by Danny Baker

Synopsis:
The dazzlingly funny second volume of Danny Baker's memoirs: the television years. Since my first book was published I have had countless friends and family members get in touch to say how come I hadn't included this story or that tale. Was I ashamed of being shot twice, once up the arse, in Jamaica Road? How long should a man live with such a secret? If by retrospectively dropping my trousers every few pages I can reveal a fuller picture of myself during these years, then so be it. Besides. Being shot up the arse. In front of your mates. What else did I forget?

Review: This is the second volume of Danny's memoirs as the blurb says and it's every bit as enjoyable as the first or almost anyway. I love the 1970's and especially the music which was the soundtrack to my own childhood/teenage years so the first book (Going Off Alarming) was right up my alley. The second being set in the 80's and mostly about Danny's television work (shows like the Six O'Clock Show etc) was not quite as entertaining but then it's impossible for him to be dull so it was still incredibly readable.
He tells his own story at a rattling pace and there are so many anecdotes, funny stories and eyebrow raising incidents (his dad Spud is just a gift of a character .. a real original) that you just get swept along .. also some sad stories like a quite in-depth piece about Paul (Gazza) Gascoigne which gave me a different perspective on him .. people and situations are more complex than you think.

He has a great writing style .. it's just like he's chatting to you. I've never been that much of a fan actually but I love the way he tells his life story .. so entertaining. Both books practically read themselves .. I didn't notice the pages turning at all.
If you're at all a fan or just like reading about the 70's/80s I thoroughly recommend both books. There will be a third (at least) .. in which he will talk about being ill (from cancer :( ) I'm not looking forward to it so much as I do hate reading about illness .. however, knowing Danny, he will still make it entertaining and I will definitely be buying it. He's incapable of being gloomy for long and is himself a force to be reckoned with. Liked it! 

lollywillowes.jpg
Lolly Willowes by Sylvia Townsend Warner

Synopsis:
Lolly Willowes is a twenty-eight-year-old spinster when her adored father dies, leaving her dependent upon her brothers and their wives. After twenty years of self-effacement as a maiden aunt, she decides to break free and moves to a small Bedfordshire village. Here, happy and unfettered, she enjoys her new existence nagged only by the sense of a secret she has yet to discover. That secret - and her vocation - is witchcraft, and with her cat and a pact with the Devil, Lolly Willowes is finally free.

Review: Oh I do love strange and quirky stories :D This one leads you right up the garden path. It's a book of two halves really. In the first half Lolly is a very sensible young woman. Her life is ticking along quite nicely actually until her father's death (her mother being long dead) and then she loses her home (which passes to her elder brother) and her life. She moves in with her younger brother and his wife and becomes Aunt Lolly to their children .. she's always there to run errands and look after them when they're sick etc and the household grows quite dependent on her. They don't mean to put upon her .. and they do have affection for her .. but really she is no more than the unpaid help.

Though time passes and the children grow up and start families of their own .. there's still no reason for Lolly to leave. She's still very much wanted/needed. Except .. she wants to break free (stop singing Queen :D) .. she's absolutely stifled. It's as much of a surprise (certainly .. as the story plays out) to the reader as it is to the family (who are incredulous.) Things take a very strange turn when Lolly moves far away into the country. I thought she might become reclusive (which she does) and start dabbling with herbal remedies etc (which she also does) but she goes the whole hog and starts chatting to the Devil  :hide:  :D You and I might be horrified but Lolly is encouraged by his presence and sees him as an ally. Very, very weird .. but I love that it takes hold of weird with both hands and runs with it  :D This was written in 1926 so goodness knows what readers made of it then  :D Gob smacked .. I should think. Expect the unexpected anyway. This is a story to make your head boggle. I love the writing of Barbara Comyns .. but this was even stranger than Barbara's fiction. It's not often though that a book can surprise you as much as this one did .. hats off to Sylvia and a big thank you to Janet for giving it to me for Christmas :hug:Liked it! 

wild.jpg
Wild: A Journey From Lost to Found by Cheryl Strayed

Synopsis:
At twenty-six, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother's rapid death from cancer, her family disbanded and her marriage crumbled. With nothing to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life: to walk eleven-hundred miles of the west coast of America - from the Mojave Desert, through California and Oregon, and into Washington state - and to do it alone. She had no experience of long-distance hiking and the journey was nothing more than a line on a map. But it held a promise - a promise of piecing together a life that lay in ruins at her feet.

Review: This is the sort of book to inspire. It makes you believe you can do things .. things like walking the Pacific Crest Trail. In reality I wouldn't even contemplate walking the Pennine Way let alone the PCT .. I'm just not a camper and only an idiot would think I could live on my own wits! :blush2:
 For a start I hate creepy crawlies .. so to have to deal with rattlesnakes and black bears in addition is a bridge way too far .. plus what about murderers? :hide: There's bound to be plenty of them lurking about. No amount of chanting to myself that 'I am not afraid' would change that. I am afraid and it's best I understand that now before I put a lot of people to an awful lot of unnecessary trouble. I HATE my own company too .. I can't even have a bath without taking in some sort of noise .. anything so as I'm not left alone with my own thoughts!! *shudders* So this sort of extensive solitary, dangerous, hiking would sadly be a no-no for me but it was surprisingly enlightening to read it (tucked up in bed .. with cocoa and about as far away from black bears as it is possible to be :D ) .. I very much lived the journey with her. And it's a perilous journey ... 1100 miles of mountainous terrain .. with rattlesnakes, black bears and dodgy individuals to deal with.

Cheryl has rather spectacularly messed up her life .. she's been on a downward spiral ever since her mum died .. possibly there were problems before that even ... her childhood was less than ideal with an abusive, and often drunk, father. She's become irresponsible. She married a very kind man but has managed to make a mess of things, she doesn't value herself or her life. There's two things you can do in this situation .. sink or swim. Cheryl decides to swim (not literally .. that's a whole other book probably) .. she buys herself a guide book on the PCT and begins planning her journey.

One of the things I liked about Cheryl (though she's not an easy person to like .. she's admirable but stubborn and irresponsible) was that she was a reader :wub: Among the things she packed in 'Monster' (her backpack .. of truly epic proportions) were books, which considering how absolutely vital every piece of luggage had to be .. was commendable. She did tear the pages off and burn them as she went along (ouch!) ... it was sadly necessary from the point of view of weight. But the books and stories were her solace .. she could escape into them at times of stress. They gave her something else to think about other than her aching body and blistered and bloody feet.

Conversely, one of the things that drove me up the wall about her was the way she mismanaged her money. It's so important, when you're on a long and isolated journey to spend wisely. Cheryl had put together several boxes of supplies which she had a friend mail to her so that each time she reached a resupply point, she was able to get some clean clothes, a new book, various other essentials and some money. She then, almost without fail, spent that money (more or less straightaway) on a cheeseburger and some fries .. beer/wine and whatnot and spent the next fifty odd miles or so with a couple of cents in her pocket. I mean, on the whole there was nowhere to spend it .. but she often found herself in a scrape because of it. I suppose though .. after living on variations of the pot noodle for weeks you would start craving some hearty junk food .. probably just the smell of it would be enough but each time I hoped she'd be more disciplined (for a start she probably could have got a pile of toast for a fraction of the price .. maybe I should write a trail guide :D) having said that I know in my heart that I would have done the same. I do not plan for rainy days and money always burns a hole in my pocket. I expect other people to have more sense though.

She did meet a band of friends along the way. There was a register at the beginning of the trail so the people she came across already knew who she was (this gave me the creeps a bit as she was the only solitary woman hiking .. which to me is like sending up smoke signals :unsure:) .. but mostly she walked alone and spent days and days without seeing a soul.

They adapted this book into a film (starring Reece Witherspoon .. who's on the book cover) a couple of years ago which I might take a peep at if I come across it. 
My sister bought me this for Christmas and I wasn't sure it would be my thing but it was .. I couldn't put it down. Liked it but definitely verging on Loved it! :)

poemsbyheart.jpg
Penguin's Poems by Heart

Synopsis:
Learning by heart is the best way to experience a poem, but the method has fallen from favor as part of the educational system. This small collection of the best English poems offers the reader the chance to re-engage with poetry. Filled with favorites, and thoughtfully selected by Laura Barber, this anthology is an essential addition to everyone's repertoire.

Review: Last year was another year that I didn't read any poetry (not even a few old Tolkien dirges  :D) and I was determined that this year wouldn't be the same . I already owned this book and have flicked through it from time to time .. dwelling particularly on some of poetry's greatest hits as I call them  :D
 but I've never read it through thoroughly let alone learnt any of the poems by heart. I long ago learnt sonnet 116 by heart (which is included here) but that was because of my Austen mania and some romantic notion I had of being somehow like Marianne  :blush2: I can't say I've learnt any others by heart. I know a lot of them .. but only bits and pieces (I still get excited by the 'runcible spoon' in The Owl and the Pussycat .. I don't know what one is but I love the sound of it.) I was confused by some of the inclusions here .. not all of them seemed the sort of thing you would want to learn by heart but anyway .. it's all subjective I suppose. I will keep the book handy so that I can dip in again .. perhaps more of it will take hold .. but in any case, it encouraged me to read Bright Star which is a collection of Keat's poetry and so that's a positive. Though that is a whole other animal  :hide: Liked it!

Edited by poppyshake

Glad to see you're having a good reading year so far  :smile:  I'm already about 3 books behind according to Goodreads  :doh: 

Lolly Willowes does sound really interesting! I was surprised to see how early it was written! Might have to give it a try  :smile:

Glad to see you're having a good reading year so far  :smile:  I'm already about 3 books behind according to Goodreads  :doh:

Lolly Willowes does sound really interesting! I was surprised to see how early it was written! Might have to give it a try  :smile:

I always do better at the beginning of the year but tail off something dreadful by Christmas. I need to be at least ten books ahead of the game by then (never going to happen :D) I wish I had never given Goodreads this power over me  :D 

Be prepared for weirdness with Lolly Willowes ..  the way it starts and the cover and everything lull you into a false sense of security :D Hope you enjoy it if you do try it Hayley :)

snowsister.jpg
The Snow Sister by Emma Carroll

Synopsis:
Ever since her sister, Agnes, died, Pearl has a tradition every time it snows. She makes a person out of snow. A snow sister. It makes Christmas feel a little less lonely. On Christmas Eve, her father receives a letter about a long-lost relative's will. Is their luck about to change? In anticipation of a better Christmas, Pearl goes to beg credit at Mr Noble's grocery to get ingredients for a Christmas pudding. But she is refused, and chased down the street where she is hit by a handsome cab. The snow is falling so hard that they can't take her home. She'll have to stay at Flintfield Manor overnight, in a haunted room... Will Pearl make it home for Christmas?

Review: I read this in one sitting, sitting by the fire on a cold day :wub: It reminded me of old fashioned children's winter stories and I can see it being adapted for TV one Christmas as it's very visual (helped by the gorgeous illustrations) and quite 'Dickensian' in its way. Pearl did seem like a feisty thing .. not sure it was all that wise to get herself into so much trouble over the Christmas pudding ingredients but then .. at Christmas I am practically steeped in Christmas pudding .. I can't appreciate what it must be like to be denied it  :D
 I did think more was going to come of the 'snow sister' .. I think I have watched The Snowman too much and so had ideas and stuff .. always unwise to let my imagination loose but I was happy enough with the conclusion. I know some people didn't like the ending .. but it felt right to me that there was a bit of a feel good outcome. My only criticism of it is that it felt too short .. there was a longer story in there I think that was struggling to be kept back. I adore a book with illustrations and I love winter/Christmas books. I'll happily pick this up again next winter. Actually, it's the sort of book that I just like looking at :wub: Many thanks to Claire for the gift :hug:Liked it!  

I haven't wished you a happy reading year yet (I'm a bit behind with people's blogs :blush2: )...so happy reading year! :boogie:

You've got some good books on your reading lists....I loved The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. Hope you enjoy it when you get to it.

I loved Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I couldn't believe how brave she was....it's something I could never do on my own. I'm far too anxious and paranoid.  :o  And she did have a very close call as well

when one of those dodgy hunters came back and was watching her. That could have ended very badly.  :o )

I wouldn't worry too much about getting behind with reviews....I'm shockingly behind...I'm going to struggle to remember what the books were about. :doh::giggle:

I haven't wished you a happy reading year yet (I'm a bit behind with people's blogs :blush2: )...so happy reading year! :boogie:

Happy Reading Year bobbs :hug: 

You've got some good books on your reading lists....I loved The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. Hope you enjoy it when you get to it.

That's another one that's been on the shelf for ages ... good to know that you loved it :) 

I loved Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I couldn't believe how brave she was....it's something I could never do on my own. I'm far too anxious and paranoid.  :o  And she did have a very close call as well

when one of those dodgy hunters came back and was watching her. That could have ended very badly.  :o )

I was practically hyperventilating at that point .. but part of me was thinking 'see .. I knew it was a bad idea' :D

I wouldn't worry too much about getting behind with reviews....I'm shockingly behind...I'm going to struggle to remember what the books were about. :doh::giggle:

Perennial problem :blush2:  I've more or less abandoned last years book blog reviews as I lost track. I know I read some very good books too that I didn't review .. sometimes I have more trouble with the ones I love than the ones I like/hate. Ah well .... it's great to share our views on books but it's reading them that's important  :) 

Lolly Willowes by Sylvia Townsend Warner

.. hats off to Sylvia and a big thank you to Janet for giving it to me for Christmas :hug:Liked it! 

Oh phew - I'm relieved!   I was worried about it because it did have a smattering of poor reviews!   I'm glad you liked it!  :)

I've had my eye on Spill Simmer Falter Wither (I really want to put commas in between those words!  :giggle2: ) so I am looking forward to seeing what you think of it.  :)

Oh phew - I'm relieved!   I was worried about it because it did have a smattering of poor reviews!

Pooh! What do they know! :D

I'm glad you liked it!  :)

I did .. very much :hug:  

I've had my eye on Spill Simmer Falter Wither (I really want to put commas in between those words!  :giggle2: ) so I am looking forward to seeing what you think of it.  :)

I'm definitely intrigued by it. I think it's going to be intense but brilliant .. hopefully :unsure: There is definitely a sad lack of commas in the title though  :D .. could that be the first of many annoying things about it? :D 

Perennial problem :blush2:  I've more or less abandoned last years book blog reviews as I lost track. I know I read some very good books too that I didn't review .. sometimes I have more trouble with the ones I love than the ones I like/hate. Ah well .... it's great to share our views on books but it's reading them that's important  :) 

I occasionally have catch-ups when I've fallen several books behind, with several mini-reviews to a post - no more than a paragraph or so long.  I like to write something, as it helps me remember my thoughts later, never mind everybody else!!  It's amazing how easily I can forget some books, even those I really liked or really hated at the time.

I've decided ... in my wisdom .. to participate in a reading challenge (via Instagram) for February  :blush2: To read 5 books in 7 days  :o 

It's ridiculous actually as I'll be out for most of the week (challenge starts 22nd Feb .. eek tomorrow .. and ends 28th Feb) so when I'll have time to read them goodness only knows .. I'd probably struggle even if stranded in a cave  :giggle: 

I'm not expecting to complete it (that's right ... keep your expectations low  :blush2: ) but I'll have a go anyway.

Bearing this is mind (the lack of time, commitment and general lazybonesishness) I've tried to pick .. well .. shortish books  :D 

Books chosen are: 

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

Mobile Library by David Whitehouse

Don't Tell Alfred by Nancy Mitford

Something Nasty in the Woodshed by Kyril Bonfiglioli

The BFG by Roald Dahl (must read it before seeing film later this year :D

Yes .. the only one I'm confident about is The BFG :D

Wish me luck  :blush2: (or .. hit me over the head with a blunt instrument until I see sense  :D )