Your Book Activity - December 2015

Athena

Can you believe it's December already?! What is your bookish activity in December, be it reading books, buying books, organising books.. we like to hear about it!

I just finished Rainbow Rowell - Carry On. I'm not sure yet what I'll read next. It's the read-a-thon at the end of the week so it'll have to be something short. I don't like being without a book for too long, so I don't think I can "not read" for a few days!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting towards the end of The Enemy by Charlie Higson. It's good, some great displays of creativity and it really pulls no punches with killing characters, but it's also not the best writing I've ever read.

Also recently bought the Discworld Collector's Library edition of Men At Arms (I think it's called?) for a friend for her birthday/Christmas, haven't decided which yet.

I've been busily buying Christmas presents for friends and family: bags and bags of books! I love having a family that reads. :D

I've read a little more of Inkdeath but I don't have too much time for reading at the moment because of work.

I'm getting towards the end of The Enemy by Charlie Higson. It's good, some great displays of creativity and it really pulls no punches with killing characters, but it's also not the best writing I've ever read.

I didn't like that one. I think I gave it a pretty harsh review. :lol:

I started The Radleys by Matt Haig last night. Absolutely loving it so far. :boogie:

I didn't like that one. I think I gave it a pretty harsh review. :lol:

I remember, and I can see why. But there's a lot I like about it. I don't like that

literally all the characters I actually like keep dying. Couldn't BELIEVE Arran died. I really thought he was going to be THE central character.

:roll:

I started The Radleys by Matt Haig last night. Absolutely loving it so far. :boogie:

Ya I meant to read that this year and didn't get to it... glad to hear its good.

On the other hand, I am still struggling with Station Eleven, at 50%  :(

Yay!  :D  

I actually just posted in my blog saying I hoped you'd like it when you got round to it - and here you are having got round to it already and you're enjoying it!  :D

I forgot to post what I'm reading! :doh:  :giggle2:

I've just started Mystery in White - A Christmas Crime Story by J. Jefferson Farjeon.  So far, so good!  :grinhat:

Edited by Janet

I remember, and I can see why. But there's a lot I like about it. I don't like that

literally all the characters I actually like keep dying. Couldn't BELIEVE Arran died. I really thought he was going to be THE central character.

:roll:

Ooh, I vaguely remember this. I didn't like how the characters spoke - they were all little know-it-alls! :blink:

On the other hand, I am still struggling with Station Eleven, at 50%  :(

Oh noes!! Well, if you don't like the first half you probably won't like the rest of it, I'm sorry to say. :wibbly:  I loved it right from the start...it just grabbed me and didn't let go! :D

Yay!  :D  

I actually just posted in my blog saying I hoped you'd like it when you got round to it - and here you are having got round to it already and you're enjoying it!  :D

Yeah, I'm loving it! :D I had no idea what it was about when I picked it up, but slowly cottoned on with all the subtle hints in the first few chapters. :D

Haven't got very far with my book The Road to Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead. It's not a light read (not difficult just needs concentration) but I've got too much stuff to do Christmas wise to devote to reading .. though I'm still managing to watch loads of video's etc from Strictly Come Dancing .. go figure!  :blush2: Really struggling too with listening to Sarah Winman's A Year of Marvellous Ways. It's just not going in!  :blush2: Going to plod on .. eventually it'll click into place.

Happy December reading everyone :hug: 

Oh noes!! Well, if you don't like the first half you probably won't like the rest of it, I'm sorry to say. :wibbly:  I loved it right from the start...it just grabbed me and didn't let go! :D

I will preserver!  150 some odd pages left though, :doh:

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm currently not reading any book, since it's the read-a-thon tomorrow I'm not going to read much today, then it will hopefully be even more fun to read lots this weekend. In other bookish news though, I did order myself two recent Chrissie Manby books that I'm looking forward to reading.

Oooh yes read-a-thon, I must remember to do that! Might start after midnight tonight to get a head start! :D

I love reading at night!

I have 90 pages left in Interview with a Vampire... somehow I've gotten committed to the whole series. 

I'm rereading The Lover by Marguerite Duras, and Lumen by Ben Pastor.  I'd started Lumen back in July but got sidetracked.  I'm about a third of the way through wondering if I'll bother to finish.  A bit lackluster. 

Oooh yes read-a-thon, I must remember to do that! Might start after midnight tonight to get a head start! :D

Woohoo :D!

Going to bed with Lily Alone by Jacqueline Wilson. I love having my mojo back!

I haven't read that one I think but I believe the library has it. I hope you like it :). Great you have your mojo back :smile2:.

I have 90 pages left in Interview with a Vampire... somehow I've gotten committed to the whole series. 

I somehow missed that you were reading this. I read it many years ago, and loved it. I must give it a re-read at some point.

I somehow missed that you were reading this. I read it many years ago, and loved it. I must give it a re-read at some point.

Oh my it was good.  I can't believe what they did to it in the movie adaptation :o

I was going to do the read a thon, but I started with Random Acts of Senseless Violence and it wasn't going so well.  I wanted to read Nine and a Half Weeks, but it is only about 150 pages and was 9 dollars :blink: Plus, the whole sample was an introduction (I hate that).  So now I am going to read the sample (and probably the book) to Vampire Lestat.

Just finished 'Violets Are Blue' - James Patterson. A great book, the short chapter thing is quite good for reading at work. Although makes it hard put use the excuse "Just let me finish this chapter" before going to sleep. Starting 'Moby Dick' - Herman Melville. First time read for me, should be interesting. I've always been fascinated by the story for some reason, but never picked up the book and had a read.

Shelfy

Edited by BookShelfy91

I wanted to read Nine and a Half Weeks, but it is only about 150 pages and was 9 dollars :blink: Plus, the whole sample was an introduction (I hate that).

I'm glad you liked Interview with a Vampire :). The sample thing really annoys me too! And 9 dollars is a lot for just 150 pages.

I'm currently reading A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 16: De Cock en het Dodelijk Akkoord and I look forward to find out 'whodunnit'.

Oh my it was good.  I can't believe what they did to it in the movie adaptation :o

I was going to do the read a thon, but I started with Random Acts of Senseless Violence and it wasn't going so well.  I wanted to read Nine and a Half Weeks, but it is only about 150 pages and was 9 dollars :blink: Plus, the whole sample was an introduction (I hate that).  So now I am going to read the sample (and probably the book) to Vampire Lestat.

It's been a while since I saw the movie, but I don't recall it being that bad. Maybe I was distracted by Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt though. :lol:

I read Random Acts of Senseless Violence recently, and thought it was quite good, but I can see why some people wouldn't be that keen on it. The writing style isn't the easiest to read.

I finished The Radleys last night, and have gone back to The Year of Living Danishly. No idea what fiction I will read next....maybe The Exit by Helen Fitzgerald.