• Announcements

• Hayley

Late Autumn Supporter Giveaway   11/27/2020

I know that winter is well on the way, but I'm sneaking the autumn giveaway in here, right at the end of the season...     I thought this giveaway seemed particularly appropriate for this year: Dear Reader: The Comfort and Joy of Books by Cathy Rentzenbrink.  I'm sure some of you will have heard of this book. It came out in September and has had brilliant reviews. It's been described as a love letter to reading and I think all of us have truly appreciated 'the comfort and joy of books' this year.  It is also a really beautiful hardback. Please excuse my picture-taking skills, it's really hard to get a good picture of something that's shiny!   As always, patreon supporters will be automatically entered into the draw. If you're not a supporter but you'd like to join our patreon you can do so here:  bookclubforum.co.uk is creating a book community | Patreon
Kylie

Rest in Peace

RIP Henning Mankell :cry:

He was planning on writing another Wallander novel, for the 25th anniversary. He didn't believe he was going to die anytime soon. 

RIP Henning Mankell :cry:

Awwww :(, I hadn't heard of it until I read this thread. May he rest in peace :(.

So sad about Harper Lee. :( To Kill a Mockingbird was one of those books that really grasped me when I was a kid. I loved Scout and the idea of a Boo Radley in my neighborhood. Her newer book is actually on my TBR pile right now. 

I never heard of Umberto Eco, sadly. I'll have to look up The Name of the Rose.

Louise Rennison, author of the books featuring Georgia Nicolson, of which the first one, Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging was made into a film has died.  She was only in her sixties.  RIP.

I haven't read any of her books, but I have seen the film with my daughter.

Pat Conroy was laid to rest yesterday. He died of pancreatic cancer. He was the consumate Southern author and just the nicest guy. I had the pleasure of meeting with him on several occasions when I set up his book signings at the bookstore I used to work at.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pat+conroy+books&oq=pat+conroy&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l3.5811j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

George Martin (The Beatles' producer, not the author) has passed away at age 90. :( Rest in peace.

George Martin (The Beatles' producer, not the author) has passed away at age 90. :( Rest in peace.

There has been more than one panicked GoT fan on Twitter today . . . 

I think Ronnie Corbett deserves a mention for his 50 odd years in comedy. A good clean family entertainer who didn't resort to swearing to get a laugh.

I think Ronnie Corbett deserves a mention for his 50 odd years in comedy. A good clean family entertainer who didn't resort to swearing to get a laugh.

Oh no! I hadn't heard! I'm truly saddened by that news. Love Ronnie Corbett, a very funny man and like you say Garcia, a really decent family entertainer. A huge loss.

https://youtu.be/6dmhF1rqaZk

Edited by poppy

Very sorry to see Ronnie Corbett has passed away, he was a key feature of Saturday night viewing when I was a kid.

I must admit to getting a lump in my throat this lunchtime when I saw all the candle pictures on Twitter. There were four of them, you see... Very touching.

Very sorry to see Ronnie Corbett has passed away, he was a key feature of Saturday night viewing when I was a kid.

I must admit to getting a lump in my throat this lunchtime when I saw all the candle pictures on Twitter. There were four of them, you see... Very touching.

That's such a great tribute to him.

Ronnie Corbett was so talented. My kids and I can spend hours watching 'The Two Ronnies' on youtube.

This year sucks. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36094827

Rest in peace you marvellous genius, Victoria. The funniest comedian I've ever had the pleasure to see. dinnerladies will forever be one of the best sitcoms ever made and that's just one of a million things I'll remember you for.

Prince died at his Paisley Estate today. He as 57. He was sick Monday and his plane made an emergency landing. He went to the hospital and was released the next day.

Little Red Corvette

Purple Rain

Party Like Its 1999

When Doves Cry...

My heart is broken.

Who let George RR Martin write the script for 2016?

This is another major celebrity death that I have no real in to (I think my only real experience of Prince is the Batman soundtrack in '89).