Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery

Princess Ponti, I was looking at (and drooling over) the whole series of Anne... books in a shop the other day. I might wait until after Christmas and buy a few during the sales :welcome:

I only read an ebook version this year so it would be lovely to own my own copy. Have you read the entire series?

• 4 months later...

I would highly recommend reading the book. I don't think it's really that long and it's very entertaining. It is followed on as a series of books, with Anne growing up and having children. I plan on reading them all eventually - I loved Anne of Green Gables :lol:

Welcome to the forum!

• 3 weeks later...
Why, I think I'll order me up a child tomorrow. Might help around the farm some...

:smile2: Fantastic!!!

I read this only last month. I was extremely bored in work and Project Gutenberg was calling, so I read this, Daddy Long Legs, Clover (follow-up to What Katy Did) and another one whose name escapes me... Cricket? Something along those lines. Astonishingly, I had managed to get to the age of 33 without reading Anne of Green Gables.

I loved the book, but I do think that Anne was a bit of a drama queen. In real life I'd have probably hung around with Gilbert just to get away from her.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I'm new here. so I thought I'd post something on this thread. :roll:

I have read five books from the Anne of Green Gables series when I was in high school and I love them all, although my favourites are the first three. I used to love Anne so much that I signed myself as 'Anne's friend' whenever I'd write letters or notes to my sisters and friends :smile2: (this is back in high school of course).

Edited by Kell
Caps

• 1 year later...

Just finished "Anne of Green Gables" last week, and loved it! I'm going to reserve "Anne of Avonlea" (book 2 in the series) from the library soon, as I think it covers Anne from ages 16-18.

Has anyone else read any of the Anne books recently?

• 8 months later...
I finished reading Anne of Green Gables a few days ago, and I'm going to cheat and copy part of my post verbatim from my reading list:

I found Anne to be a simply enchanting character, and wise beyond her years. I love her way of looking at things, and the pleasure that she takes in everyday things that other people would take for granted. I especially like that she didn't lose that aspect of herself when certain events took place.

Yeah, Anne's childlike wonder and "imagination" is inspiring. A different way of seeing.

I managed to read my first reading circle book! Yay!

At first I found the book slow and a little irritating but I did get into it and found it very enjoyable and sweet. It's the sort of thing you read on a wet autumn afternoon with a mug of hot chocolate. I'll definitely be saving the next book for later in the year (although the weather lately is such that I may end up reading it soon!). I would definitely recommend this to others to at least try.

Yep, that sounds so good about now. A nice cup of hot chocolate or vanilla latte while curled up with a good book. Nice.

Anne's dreaminess and imagination really appealed to me. This book took a surprisingly long time for me to read, too. When I told a friend I was reading this, he said he had watched tv programs when he was a kid -- anybody remember these? I have never seen them! And several people have told me they visited Green Gables, too.

Agree.

Its one of those books where you feel you been there watching her grow up.

This is why the book has lasted because it gives readers the chance to grow up with Anne.

I loved the book, but I do think that Anne was a bit of a drama queen. In real life I'd have probably hung around with Gilbert just to get away from her.:D

Yeah, she overreacted quite a bit. But i guess that made her more interested. If she was too subdued, then her character wouldn't be as provocative or appealing. It was an endearing eccentricity.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow what a coincidence! Anne of Green Gables is part of one of my favourite series of books! I have every book in the series.:D

I haven't read it in a while. I enjoy the book's atmosphere and it kept me hooked when I first read it. Made a nice change to the usual books that I read.

I would definately recommend it.:D