Sign in to follow this  
emelee

Where do you get most recommendations that you buy?

From where do you get most book recommendations that you actually end up buying?

For me, it's probably via TV-shows. Like one of the morning shows on TV where they now and then have guests recommending books and their favorites. Last time that happened was this morning. :) 

Oh gosh, here, mostly.  And Amazon.  That's all I need!  My Kindle Samples pile up and I can't read fast enough! :readingtwo:  I also like the book reviews in BBC Magazine and book lists like " The 50 greatest books of all time", The Big Read, etc.

Edited by Anna Begins

Like almost everyone else has said, I come to BCF to discuss and read about books with like minded people, so a lot of my recommendations come from here. I appreciate that the forum has other areas to chat about other things and that some members visit for the chat, but the main focus for me is to discuss books and find out from other readers I trust what books are worth spending my hard earned cash on, and after getting to know people here, I know which members are likely to recommend a book I'll enjoy.

I do occasionally buy books from radio programme recommendations, but I don't the people who are reviewing them, so it's more difficult to judge whether it's really a book for me.

I get most of mine from Amazon - people who bought this also read that and so on. Some have also come from here, and some from friends offline.

Mostly on here!! Occasionally, something on Amazon will catch my eye or I may read an article on a book that sounds interesting, but for the most part, my recommendations for new authors come from here. :smile:

I don't buy much these days, but the recommended books I read these days come mostly from our beloved BCF :smile2: Goodreads is also catching up. I love their recommendations app on the front page. 

To be honest, the only place on the internet where I get reading recommendations is the reading lists/blogs section on this site.  I don't always comment on people's lists, but I read a lot of them and often make a note of interesting sounding books.

Apart from that, I tend to find books I want just from browsing in bookshops, or if I really enjoy a book by a particular author, I'll have a look and see what else they've written.

I've gotten quite a lot from on here and Goodreads, sometimes in magazines and just a good old rummage in book shops.

On here, the book club tv show that airs here, and amazon recommends. Sometimes goodreads. :)

Edited by Devi

From everywhere. I read some books because they were mentioned here and on other forums. Sometimes I just happen to see a book in a shop or a library and it's subject or title will get my attention. Then there are various kinds of advertisements, either on tv or somewhere else. Our local paper has a small weekly section discussing one book, something like 'book of the week' sort of thing. 

I get recommendations from here, Amazon and my little family. About once or twice a year I'll here about one on the radio that I check out. I also like to just wander around the library looking for interesting books.

I have to say that I pride in saving money, so I look for sales, second-hand bookshops etc. For instance I like I found a good book about traveling with recipes and a fascinating story plot!  But I will definietly use your advice and read New York Times Bestseller List more often.

Edited by chesilbeach
Removed promotional link

I mostly find books in charity shops. But when I'm looking for a specific type of book, or similar books to ones I've already enjoyed, I find Amazon or Goodreads are brilliant. Though since I've been on this form I've had a lot of good ones recommended too!