Sign in to follow this  
Hayley

Penguin World Cup

I would change some of the people in the Dutch team. Some of them I haven't heard of or read anything from or didn't like, I've had Dutch classes at school so I would add some of them I read for that. But that's just me perhaps :).

Pretty happy with the England team (for once  :D ) ... maybe need a Bronte on the bench and a Woolf :D

I would change some of the people in the Dutch team. Some of them I haven't heard of or read anything from or didn't like, I've had Dutch classes at school so I would add some of them I read for that. But that's just me perhaps :).

Is there anyone in particular you thought should be on there Athena? I have to admit I don't recognise any of the authors from the Dutch team, is there anybody you would recommend?

Pretty happy with the England team (for once  :D ) ... maybe need a Bronte on the bench and a Woolf :D

I agree, and I think Pratchett should be on there too (I'd love to hear the conversation on that bench!) :D  

I agree!

I agree, and I think Pratchett should be on there too (I'd love to hear the conversation on that bench!) :D

Yes :D.

Is there anyone in particular you thought should be on there Athena? I have to admit I don't recognise any of the authors from the Dutch team, is there anybody you would recommend?

I looked it up and a few of the authors of books I thought quite important, aren't actually known. We're not sure of the name of the people who wrote them. They were written in Old Dutch. So I guess those aren't allowed. Some of the titles are Karel ende Elegast, Lancelot en het Hert met de Witte Voet and Van Den Vos Reynaerde (I hope I spelled that okay).

Personally I didn't like Gerard Reve's book De Avonden at all, so I wouldn't have him in there. I agree particularly with Mulisch and Multatuli, they were both pretty important for Dutch literature. I've heard of some of the others but haven't read a book by them, and I haven't heard of two of them so I can't comment at all on those other than that I have no idea who they are and am not sure how important they are since I wasn't taught about them in school.

I would replace Gerard Reve by for example Willem Frederik Hermans or Anna Blaman (I loved Nooit Meer Slapen, and Op Leven en Dood respectively). According to Wikipedia these three had a similar impact in literature (here is an English link). I would also put Tessa de Loo in the squad, her works are pretty famous and I loved Isabelle.

One thing to think about is whether Anne Frank could be in there, since her diary is very famous and had a big impact on society. I'm ashamed I haven't read it, I've been trying to find a Dutch copy but I haven't been successful. There are English reprints around but of course I'd want to read the Dutch version.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Lovely idea!!! Italy has an embarassing team.. as the football one :) Bassani and Moravia shouldn't be there and there are no women in there. I'd change Moravia with Melania Mazzucco, a great woman.

England team is great!