The Voices by F.R. Tallis

Michelle

The Voices is published on 8th May, and is by F.R Tallis, a new author to me. It's set in London, during the 1976 heatwave, and the story's oppressive feel matches the weather. Laura and Christopher move into their new home with their young daughter Faye - Christopher is trying to revive his musical career, whilst Laura is trying to deal with the change from model into mother.

Whilst using his recording equipment, Christopher starts to hear voices in the static, and he soons becomes obsessed with this, not considering what else he may be allowing to happen. Soon young Faye seems to be aware by these voices, and Laura is experiences odd dreams, which makes her fear for Faye's safety.

I would certainly class this as a 'chiller' rather than a 'horror - it's a fairly slow burner, with a lot of focus on Christopher and Laura as characters, as well as their relationship. The issue of the voices, along with Laura's dreams, adds a very unsettling aspect to this book, and it is an addictive read.

I'm a little unsure of how I feel about the ending, although that's hard to talk about without giving anything away. It's not the classic build up and ending I expect in this type of book, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.. I just personally felt it needed a little something more.

This is the sort of review where I wish I was better at explaining - I've read a lot of various types of horror in my time, and very little really scares me, so it's sometimes hard for me to judge. This would suit people who prefer their horror to be more unsettling than explicit, and it is an interesting concept and story. However, some may be too unsettled by the fact that a small child is involved. 

I'd love to discuss it if anyone else reads it, or if anyone has read any of his other books. I've ordered The Sleep Room, as I'd like to see what else F.R Tallis is capable of. :)