In one of those internet searches where on thing led to another thing led to a wonderful easter egg (hidden surprise) I found this little gem. 

"The Eye of Argon" by Jim Theis was published in 1970 in OSFAN, the journal of the Ozark SF Society, issue number 10. Photocopies – invariably with the last page missing – circulated for decades among science fiction fans, and it became a regular sf convention challenge to read the story's mangled prose with a straight face.

Jim Theis himself, who was 16 when he wrote and submitted "The Eye of Argon", and just 17 when it first appeared, died in 2002 at the age of 48. He will be long remembered in sf fandom.

There is just so much information about this *ahem* "amazing" short story that has circulated through SF fans for so long that i'm just going to give the link:

http://ansible.co.uk/misc/eyeargon-intro.html

You can read the story here - preferably out loud in your most dramatic voice possible (without laughing - go on I dare you!)

http://ansible.co.uk/misc/eyeargon.html

"From where do you come barbarian, and by what are you called?" Gasped the complying wench, as Grignr smothered her lips with the blazing touch of his flaming mouth.

The engrossed titan ignored the queries of the inquisitive female, pulling her towards him and crushing her sagging nipples to his yearning chest. Without struggle she gave in, winding her soft arms around the harshly bronzed hide of Grignr's corded shoulder blades, as his calloused hands caressed her firm protruding busts.

Now that we have your attention.... Jim Theis's "The Eye of Argon", that notorious sub-Conan adventure embellished with strange typos and purple patches stolen from Clark Ashton Smith's thesaurus, has been circulating in science fiction fandom since the early 1970s. It's a perennial favourite at convention turkey readings, regarded as worthy to appear in the same sentence as Pel Torro, Bron Fane, Leo Brett or even Lionel Fanthorpe. The challenge is to read more than a single page aloud without giggling. The challenge of death – reportedly introduced by Jon Singer – is to do the same with a squeaky voice caused by inhaling helium. Further cultural spinoffs include the Eye of Argon Players at San Francisco's annual BayCon, who use impromptu props to act out the story. As Don Simpson notes, "This really brings out the author's inability to keep track of what object is being held in which hand...."

http://ansible.co.uk/writing/argon-timeline.html

Edited by CuriousGeorgette

No, couldn't get past the first chapter! Awful, yet hilarious!

I think it is the awfulness that is so funny. You think 'this is awful' 'no its REALLY awful' 'can it get worse' 'wow yes it can' and by now the giggle is starting somewhere inside .. a few more lines later, probably after some horrendous bit of dialogue you just burst out laughing. :D

Well I managed to read all of it, but wow! I think I am speechless! LOL I now see why it is a challenge to read and I worry for those who might attempt the Challenge of Death, an injury mght occur from trying not to laugh. :)