Favorite satire novel?

emelee

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I love The Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy as a comedy satire, and Animal farm as a serious satire.

I'm not entirely sure of the definition of satire personally (so I'm not sure which satire novels I've read), but I'd have to agree with this post. I loved both of these ^.

I'm really bad at satire. If I don't know a book is satire, it might just go over my head and I might not understand it at all. And then when I learn it's satire, I think dohhhh!  :doh:  :blush: 

From the wiki list provided by emelee, I would say Candide is my favorite (not that I've read many). It was wack :D 

Great thread idea. :) Thanks for providing those links. From going through them, here are some of the ones I've read and loved the most:

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (without a doubt my favourite satire)

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

Animal Farm by George Orwell

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

For me it has got to be The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. Jonas Jonasson will I am sure in years to come do down as one of the greatest comic authors of all time.

I really liked the 100 year old man. Another one I would add to this list, and one of my all time favourite books, is: Travels with My Aunt by Graham Greene

Another one I would add to this list, and one of my all time favourite books, is: Travels with My Aunt by Graham Greene

Loved this book too Duncan. I see there was a movie made with Maggie Smith as Aunt Augusta. She would suit the part so well :D  I've always meant to read more books by him ....have you read any of his other works, and if so, are there any you particularly recommend?

Loved this book too Duncan. I see there was a movie made with Maggie Smith as Aunt Augusta. She would suit the part so well :D  I've always meant to read more books by him ....have you read any of his other works, and if so, are there any you particularly recommend?

I read The Human Factor and wasn't particularly impressed with it, it was fine, just not outstanding. That is the only other one of his I have read. However, this has prompted me to read more of his work, so I have dug out a copy of The End of the Affair. I will let you know how it goes.

I have not seen the movie with Maggie Smith - I will look out for it :-)