Crime novels and detectives you cannot get invested in

I am not sure why but I have never been able to get into Ian Rankins books. I have tried Knots and Crosses a few times but always lose interest. Not sure why as I know many people find him an excellent writer. Maybe I should try one last time soon.

Liked Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but just could not get into The Girl Who Played with Fire.  I gave it a good 100 pages and then gave up.  I hardly ever give up on a book.  Loved Lizbeth though.

For some reason, I've never been able to get along with any James Patterson books. Given the amount of Lee Child and Robert Crais I've beenb reading over the last couple of years, that's puzzling, but there you go - just can't do it.

For some reason, I've never been able to get along with any James Patterson books. Given the amount of Lee Child and Robert Crais I've beenb reading over the last couple of years, that's puzzling, but there you go - just can't do it.

When I first discovered James Patterson I quite liked his books but as soon as it turned into a writing factory he lost my interest. While I really admire his style and ideas his marketing concept towards writing is something that annoys me more than it intrigues me. If mr. Patt

Perhaps I am too much a fan of the sometimes lonely plotting novelist who have a hard time finishing the book at the deadline.

Edited by saintmark

• 10 months later...

When I first discovered James Patterson I quite liked his books but as soon as it turned into a writing factory he lost my interest. While I really admire his style and ideas his marketing concept towards writing is something that annoys me more than it intrigues me. If mr. Patt

Perhaps I am too much a fan of the sometimes lonely plotting novelist who have a hard time finishing the book at the deadline.

I'm getting this way with Kathy Reichs.

I've gone through heaps of library books this last year - just as well I didn't spend money on them with how lousy a lot of them were. I have to conclude that either the people choosing what to buy for the library have narrow tastes or there are fads among authors.

1 If they want to portray someone as brainy they listen to classical music if not opera.

2 The author will hard-sell you a female character as "strong" and capable, but she will invariably turn out to be helpless, ignorant and hysterical. As if the reader won't spot the split personality there.

Getting really tired the narrow-minded pretentiousness in no 1 and the spoonfeeding of conclusions on no 2.

Rant over (for now; bound to be expanded over time)

Ian Rankin and Rebus. I find it very difficult reading, and how Rebus gets anything at all done I will never know as he drinks himself into oblivion constantly. Tedious and long winded.

... reminds me! Don't care for either of those two, gave them two chances a while ago. No use for characters with too many issues. I prefer a Sherlock-Holmes - stick - with - the - relevant approach.