Stories that have helped you through dark times

Brook

I have just read If You Sing like That for Me, a short story by Akhil Sharma about a woman trapped in an unhappy marriage. It was so beautiful it moved me to tears. I felt a powerful affinity with Anita, and through her all the other millions of people in the world isolated by family ties. Thank God I have stories.

What stories have helped you through dark times?

Edited by Brook

That's an interesting question. I often turn to something by C S Lewis such as The Chronicles of Narnia when I'm in a dark place. I'm sure there are other books that have helped me though. I will have a think. But I also wanted to say I'm sorry you're feeling so sad in your circumstances :(:empathy: If you want to talk about it please do, this is a very supportive forum. Or PM me if you want.

And welcome to the forum :)

Edited by ~Andrea~

I tend to read light, funny books when I'm not in a good head space. Nothing challenging or angst ridden. I just want to escape into a safe, happy place so authors like PG Wodehouse (Jeeves and Wooster etc) fit the bill. If you like animals Gerald Durrell's books are wonderfully funny, particularly his Corfu trilogy 'My Family and Other Animals' and another funny writer, where animais feature strongly, Joyce Fussey.
I hope you can find some peace in your situation :friends0:

Edited by poppy

Elizabeth Flock's But Inside I'm Screaming. I have to say I don't remember anything about the book... But when I was depressed, I happened to come by a copy of this and read it, and I found it therapeutic at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is that type of book for me.

That is the book that helped me through a sad time after mum died. Also Tuesdays with Morrie and For One more Day. All his books have a certain something about them that hits a chord with me.

when I was younger (lots younger) I found it comforting to read the book Mrs. Mike. I always thought it was a stand alone book and have just recently found it to be a series. Althought it is a sad book in parts, it is also a very uplifting book. And, funny at times too.

I used to reread The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment...ie The Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart when I was upset, or blue.  That was ages ago, but at the time they worked.  They were like old friends. :)

When I'm in a really romantic mood I have a couple favorite Historical Romances I love to read. they are old friends that rekindle that feeling of true love being possible. They are from Laurie McBain. the titles were Moonstruck Madness and Devil's Desire. And another title I can't remember at the moment.

I always escape with a fantasy series, I love to imagine what it would be like to be that character and to live in that world. Its almost like living a double life.

Edited by Devi

The books that have helped me through the darkest times (and there have been lots of them) tend to be more non fiction rather than stories - The Conversations with God books for example, or the works of Eckhart Tolle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think I have a particular book or even a genre when I'm feeling stressed or down or something like that. All my reading tends to be a form of escapism of some sort, (relaxing after a long day, getting some time alone, bored in a waiting room), so pretty much anything that isn't too deep or heavy going will always fit the bill for me. 

Actually, I'm probably more likely to turn a to film if I'm really down. A real popcorn blockbuster with lots of explosions and very little plot usually does for me then.

If I'm feeling stressed or anxious, I can't cope with the extra emotion anything romantic or moving will cause - I tend to go for quite violent psychological thrillers as they just take my mind off everything!  I have to be feeling very happy and positive to cope with anything like chick lit.

I love reading Harry Potter. It is cliche but I love leaving behind any troubles and escaping into the world of magic. I do also enjoy reading a book that can help me relate to the problem. Do you have any other books that have helped you through dark times?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I tend to read light, funny books when I'm not in a good head space. Nothing challenging or angst ridden. I just want to escape into a safe, happy place so authors like PG Wodehouse (Jeeves and Wooster etc) fit the bill. If you like animals Gerald Durrell's books are wonderfully funny, particularly his Corfu trilogy 'My Family and Other Animals' and another funny writer, where animais feature strongly, Joyce Fussey.

I hope you can find some peace in your situation :friends0:

am like you.

I tend to go towards funny:

In dark times: Nick horny-high fidelity.

Bonfire of the vanities (BUT from kinde 20% onwards)..the beginning is about characters I don't care about..it's just building structure..but from 20% it becomes the funniest book I've read.

P G Wodehouse always cheers me up, especially the Jeeves and Wooster novels. Clive James' Unreliable Memoirs always have me in fits of laughter  :giggle2:

What P.G Wodehouse book would you recomend I read?

oh, I just read 'Three men on a bender'(normally I would read a book with a title liek that)..but I really enjoyed it.

Oh,

Another book I should have mentioned..which is my guilty pleasure, please don't judge me:' the perks of being a wallflower'...YES, I know I could be criticized infinetly..but I really, really enjoyed it.

Go, ahead put my reader credibility down 1000 points