The Mystery of Mercy Close by Marian Keyes

corina

This is the long awaited book by Marian after her recent battle with depression.

It brings back one of the Walsh family, this time Helen, who, with the economic downturn, has little to no work as a private investigator and has to move back home to live with her parents.

As usual with Marian, she interweaves an issue, this time about depression, with a fiction story which is laugh aloud in parts.

Much of it is old style Marian, with her note for detail of everyday life and it's absurdness and hilarity.

The mystery is a good one, and though other reviewers on Amazon saw it coming, I did not.

It's not a blood and guts mystery, more a chick lit mystery.

I loved it and i am glad Marian is back in the game.

Oh, one thing I found. I had also bought her book "Saved by Cake" bake yourself happy about Maryanns own battle with depression and over 50 cake recipes. I am such a tragic fan girl! I noted that chuncks of what Marian had written in SBC were also written word for word from Helen Walsh. I found that a little unsettling, but shouldn't have really. I think Marian was speaking through Helen.

If you love Marian, you'll love it :P

Edited by corina

I had no idea she was battling with depression. I own one other book by Marian Keyes (Anybody Out There?), though I haven't read it yet. I've put The Mystery of Mercy Close on my wishlist, it says the paperback will be out in April. Is it a good book to start with, or would it be better to start with another book by her?

Edited by Athena

All Marian's Walsh sister books are great (though I haven't read this latest one yet) but it probably would make more sense to read them in order so ..

Watermelon (Clare)

Rachel's Holiday (Rachel)

Angels (Margaret)

Anybody Out There (Anna)

The Mystery of Mercy Close (Helen)

I bought her cake book too. Poor Marian has had a dreadful time of it over the past few years in particular so glad to see that she has turned the corner. Haha .. I will be on the lookout for similarities between Saved by Cake and The Mystery of Mercy Close .. I think they were written alongside each other weren't they? Perhaps she got confused :D

I didn't know Marian was suffering from depression, I'm happy she's doing better and has published another novel. I used to read her books years ago, I liked Sushi for Beginners in particular. I might try some of her latest novels sometime, although maybe not this one, because I'm not that familiar with this 'series'.

All Marian's Walsh sister books are great (though I haven't read this latest one yet) but it probably would make more sense to read them in order so ..

Watermelon (Clare)

Rachel's Holiday (Rachel)

Angels (Margaret)

Anybody Out There (Anna)

The Mystery of Mercy Close (Helen)

Thanks!! I've added the first three to my wishlist.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I really love Marian Keyes and the Walsh sisters books.  I devoured this book in hardback as soon as it came out, it helped me with similar issues that I was going through at the time so that's perhaps why I engaged with it so much.

• 3 years later...

I'm afraid I gave up on this one halfway through and skimmed through tp the end - not enough story and too much rambling for me I'm afraid.  Usually I love her Walsh family books, but I didn't like this one at all.

• 4 years later...

I found the Character which this book focuses on to be very annoying in the previous books of the series. I do have a copy of the book but it is a rather long one but I loved the one before Is Anybody Out There so I might find I am presently suprised by this one too.

I do really, really want to read Mammy Walsh's A-Z though.

• Like 1