Author Chat - Michele Gorman

And I can anticipate the next question :-) I chose Jamie because I wanted an androgynous name, and used Scott in reference to the Antarctic explorer, Captain Scott. And the whole name had to be easy to spell and remember.

I'd never even thought of that question, to be honest! Having said that - what a interesting explanation for the pen name you chose. :)

Another thing I've always wondered is, how many times do you think you read your novel before it's published? Do you re-read your work at the end of every day or the next morning, at the end of every chapter, or every fifth chapter, or do you wait until you've done the first draft and then read through it all in one go? I've sometimes wondered if authors ever read their book as a whole or just read it pages/chapters/sections at a time when re-writing and editing.

Thanks again for all your responses, it's genuinely fascinating!

Hi chesilbeach, that's a good question, and I guess it depends on the book. I've probably read Single in the City 30 times because, as I mentioned, it was edited that many times. I probably read Misfortune Cookie straight through five or six times. I'll read through my current novella twice, once before I give it to my agent and then again after making her suggested edits. In addition to that there are the chapter edits. Using the novella I'm working on at the moment as an example, I've just finished chapter 7 and haven't reread any of the previous chapters. But now, halfway through, I'll do an edit, tightening up the story to the halfway point, before I continue writing. I'll avoid going over individual chapters too many times because doing so makes it harder to see the big picture, and it's as important to edit the broad narrative arch as well as the details in the chapters.

I've never read a book through once it's been published though. I dont' think I could enjoy them - I can't see them as entertaiinment, only as works in progress. That's why I love to read Other people's books so much!

I've got eclectic reading tastes! There are certain authors that I love (John Irving, Isabelle Allende's early books, Margaret Atwood, Maya Angelou, James Baldwin, Julian Fellowes) and several books that stand out as ones I always recommend - The Cloud Atlas, To Kill a Mockingbird, Gone with the Wind, William Walker's First Year of Marriage (A Horror Story). I'm always partial to biographies or realistic fiction set in the early 20th century, like Doris Lessing's The Grass is Singing, Isak Dinesen's Out of Africa, anything by Nancy Mitford. And of course chick lit, where I prefer funny books, Marian Keyes over Jane Green.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm just popping in here to say that I read Single in the City this week, and am halfway through Misfortune Cookie and although I don't read anywhere near as much chick-lit as I used to, I've really enjoyed both books.  I'll write a full review later on, but thought I'd bump the thread because if you like the chick-lit genre, Michele's books should be right up your street, and you can read this thread to find out a bit more about her and her writing here. :smile2:

• 4 years later...