Crocodile on the Sandbank - Elizabeth Peters

Well that November Reading Circle was very good for me! Firstly making me return to Agatha Christie (and one I hadn't actually read previously) and thoroughly enjoying it, then introducing me to Stuart MacBride in Cold Granite and finally this book, Crocodile on the Sandbank. The latter two were nominated but beaten by the Agatha Christie and I'm so glad they were nominated as they are books and authors I'd never heard of

I'm currently halfway through Crocodile on the Sandbank (bought the kindle edition and read it mostly actually on the phone during my lunchbreaks using the kindle app which works surprisingly well) and I'm enjoying it so much I've just bought the second Amelia Peabody book....

Mystery, egypt and great characters - definitely my cup of tea. It's so gripping I abandoned my proper book last night to keep up with this story

Wasn't sure where to post this as 2011 November reading circle is probably dead and buried but many thanks to the nominees of this and the Stuart MacBride book, it's certainly expanded my list of "must-read" authors

• 3 months later...

How did you get on with "Croc" Ali?

I'm currently reading Kathleen McGowans' "The Expected One" trilogy, and already feel the urge to move on to other novels this "mystery" kind, preferably set in exotic locations - "Croc" sounds like a contender :smile:

Might take me a while to come to terms with Ms Peabodys' name, though ... :giggle2:

• 1 year later...

I can't remember who recommended these, but I bought the first four in an omnibus edition on offer at £1.09, and I read Crocodile on the Sandbank last week.  I loved the style with the rebellious, independent Amelia Peabody in her first outing, travelling to Egypt with a companion she picks up en route, and ending at an archaeological dig.  I thought the beginning was a bit slow, but once they got to Egypt, it moved along at a nice pace, and the mixture of manners of society with the need to move beyond the restrictions of the female in that period, Amelia is a rather grown up tomboy, and a heroine after my own heart!

A good mystery, with well developed characters, and a wonderful bit of escapism.  Will definitely carry on with the series, especially as I already have the next three in the omnibus!

I love these books and have read all but the last four or so... They move right along and although you get a feel for the rhythm of the books after a while they are in many ways even more enjoyable for it.

• 2 years later...

I must get back to the Amelia Peabody series, I was thoroughly enjoying them, but have stopped after book 8 for a break and just looked it up to find out that was two years ago. :o   I'd like to try the next one, perhaps on holiday later this year - they work really well as holiday books for me as I don't have to stop reading, and can get through one in a day! :lol:

• 2 months later...

I had no idea there was another one due to be published posthumously, so thanks for the heads up. :)  I've just been looking it up, and it was an unfinished manuscript that she'd written that's been completed by Joan Hess.  From the description, it sounds like it will be a final chapter in the series, and may tie up some loose ends - I wonder if she'd planned that?  I'll definitely be reading it in the future, but I'm only about half way through the series at the moment, so it'll be a while before I get to it.

• 2 months later...

I've read a couple in this series and they're great fun.

Her Vicky Bliss series is also worth a read, it has a definite 1980s vibe to it, but is good fun, I'm about halfway through it and there are only 6 books so it's much more manageable as a series, there's a bit of love interest and some comedy moments too, and great locations.

I've read one more since last time I posted here, so my next book will be the tenth book, The Ape Who Guards The Balance. I like to save books from my favourite series as treats for holiday or when I need to spoil myself, so perhaps if I get my TBR down to a certain number, I might use that as an excuse for the next one! :D

26% read of Elizabeth Peters' The Crocodile on the Sandbank. :) I do love Amelia Peabody! :D 

Edited by Marie H

• 3 weeks later...