Dennis Wheatley

kitty_kitty

I lovbe his books has anybody else read any of them?

I have mainly read the Black Magic ones and i have enjoyed everyone i have read so far, i have some of the historical adventure ones to try as well as i have got a job lot off ebay, i love the old fashioned covers they are fab. Although reading one with naked ladies on the front with their boobies out and a goats head on the back raised a few eyebrows on the bus note to self must read more senisble books in public.

My mum got me into them wheni was 15 she gave me her copies from when she was 15 too so where possible i try to collect the editions of the same set.

Also can i point out that Mr W. has never participated in nor does he condone Black Magic, I am struggling to type this with my black cat sat on my arms!!!!

My mum says he was very poular in the 1960's a chat show darling too

• 1 month later...

Another dennis wheatley fan here. Like kitty_kitty i've only read his black magic books.....actually, come to think of it i did read one of his ww2 occult novels, but yes, i loved 'devil rides out', gateway to hell', ' the satanist' ,To the devil a daughter'.

Think the op may be a bit young to remember this, but i did subscribe to the heron red 'leather' edition books from a sunday paper advertisment back in the seventies :). Didn't get them all though as i only went for a select few. I sold them a years back, but managed to find a them again on abebooks. So i bought Devil rides out and strange conflict. Great to see them again. So many memories :lol:.

Think you'll find his books out of print as there not very PC for many people in this day and age which is a shame.

There was, and i think still is, an excellent site dedicated to wheatley:

http://www.denniswheatley.info/contents.htm

Sadly the original owner passed away recently but the reins have been taken up by one of the sites members.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've only just finished The Satanist. I found it in the loft in pile of books I'd inherited, and I really enjoyed it. The Satanist is not even meant to be the best of his black magic books. I went straight out and bought The Devil Rides Out and To the Devil A Daughter and have put them in my staggeringly high 'to read' pile!:D

I read 'The Haunting of Toby Jugg' which I really enjoyed and I just bought 'The Devil Rides out', I am looking forward to reading it. I really enjoyed 'The Haunting of Toby Jugg', such a great story :D

Great topic Kitty :lol:

I read 'The Haunting of Toby Jugg' which I really enjoyed and I just bought 'The Devil Rides out', I am looking forward to reading it. I really enjoyed 'The Haunting of Toby Jugg', such a great story :D

Great topic Kitty :lol:

There is a silly but good Hammer horror film of the devil rides out too

There is a silly but good Hammer horror film of the devil rides out too

I watched a few weeks ago Kitty, it was silly but good, I could not stop laughing at the Devil :D

Am I right in thinking that the Haunted Airman was the same as the Haunting of Toby Jug? I think they changed the name for a tv adaptation. (could be wrong).

Dennis Wheatley's book were the "thing" during the 60s and everyone was reading them then, but I think they went a bit out of fashion. Glad they are back though. I went through a phase of reading several of them but my favourite remains the Ka of Gifford Hillary. Truly scary.

My aunt gave me a boxful of Wheatleys after clearing out her garage, but I don't know if it's a complete set. Does anybody know roughly how many books he had published?

Am I right in thinking that the Haunted Airman was the same as the Haunting of Toby Jug? I think they changed the name for a tv adaptation. (could be wrong).

Yea - thats right!

The BBC adaptation was called The Haunted Airman rather than The Haunting of Toby Jugg like the book! :D

OK I've been checking these out. Would I be right in assuming the best order to start the black magic series is 1st 'The Devil Rides Out', 2nd 'Strange Conflict' and 3rd 'To The Devil - A Daughter'?

I'm assuming this only because these are the three titles in the black magic omnibus edition. :D

I don't think it really matters which one you start with Charm. They are all good. The Ka of Gifford Hillary is also a Black Magic one. If you google his bibliography you should be able to get the list in written order though.

I found this ..... just look at those wonderful paperback covers!!:D

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/dennis-wheatley/

I don't think it really matters which one you start with Charm. They are all good. The Ka of Gifford Hillary is also a Black Magic one. If you google his bibliography you should be able to get the list in written order though.

I found this ..... just look at those wonderful paperback covers!!:17:

So they aren't a series then... more stand alone books. Thats good to know. :D Oh and :lol: for the link too!

I found this ..... just look at those wonderful paperback covers!!:lol:

You try reading a book with a goats head with convorting semi naked ladies on the cover in a public place like a bus without getting some funny looks :D

Theye are some stand alone books and some series too i think that website has them grouped.

I have some duplicates i think!! If anybody would like them let me know

You try reading a book with a goats head with convorting semi naked ladies on the cover in a public place like a bus without getting some funny looks :D

Yes, I see what you mean Kitty. I think I may well have covered that one in brown paper before going on public transport:mrgreen:

These sound like great books. Any suggestions as to which to start with?

You could start with one of the first books in either of the series the Duke de Richleau are more supernatural or one of the stand alone novels such as the haunting of Toby Jugg, the satanist, the Ka of Gifford Hilary.

Have a look at that link it is really good as the books are grouped

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me where to find a list of which of his many titles are the black magic ones? My husband has read quite a few of them as listed below (years ago) - I'm not sure whether there are any more 'dark' ones.

The Devil Rides Out

Gateway to Hell

The Haunting of Toby Jugg

The Irish Witch

The Satanist

Strange Conflict

To the Devil ~ A Daughter

Unholy Crusade

I've had a look on Fantastic Fiction but it doesn't say which are which genre/style

ETA: I've found the details on the site someone linked a few posts ago - sorry!

Edited by Janet