Looking for Writers Like Cormac McCarthy

Hi Aruki

The main attraction for me is the landscapes he paints with words. I have said it before on here about him but with his vivid descriptive narratives he puts the reader IN the book. I love writers who make every sentence count but McCarthy makes every word count. His stories are mainly set in the Southern states of the U.S. and cover the good the bad and the ugly of human nature. I loved The Road but it was a big departure from his usual themes. At the moment I'm reading CM's Blood Meridian and its one of the most poetic novels I have ever read.

I love the literature map - it has caused my wishlist to expand considerably in the past!

Another fan of Cormac McCarthy here - although I've only read two of his books: The Road, and No Country For Old Men. I find his writing very clean and spare (hope that makes sense - I know what I'm trying to say), and like Milo says, he makes every word count. Having said that I lent The Road to three colleagues and NOT ONE of them liked it!!!

The film adaptation of No Country... is well worth seeing as well. They made a really good job of it.

As for writers like Cormac McCarthy - I'm tempted to say Annie Proulx. She writes beautifully too.

okay then, have a go at The Life and Times of Michael K by Coetzee. In my opinion, Coetzee will make McCarthy seem unnecessarily verbose.

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton: probably the most beautifully written novel most people have never read.

The Waves by Virginia Woolf is about as sublime as you can get when it comes to painting with words. Before I'd read it, I wouldn't have believed prose of this kind was possible.

That should keep you busy.

okay then, have a go at The Life and Times of Michael K by Coetzee. In my opinion, Coetzee will make McCarthy seem unnecessarily verbose.

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton: probably the most beautifully written novel most people have never read.

The Waves by Virginia Woolf is about as sublime as you can get when it comes to painting with words. Before I'd read it, I wouldn't have believed prose of this kind was possible.

That should keep you busy.

Thanks Aruki. I shall have a look at those. Thanks for posting them.