The Hunger Games - Film

Michelle

I know a few people have already seen this film, so I was wondering how you found it? I went on Sat morning, and overall, I thought they did a brilliant job with it. It's extremely rare to be able to copy the book exactly onto the screen, and sometimes that wouldn't actually work. In this film, it remained true to the book, but with just a few changes and omissions.

(The most annoying for me were

the change to the origin of the mockingjay pin, the lack of the gift from Rue's district, and not properly explaining the mockingjays.

I thought the actors/actresses were all really good, especially Katniss. I do think Effie could have been done better, and it was a shame they didn't focus a little more on Cinna's team, and I'm glad they made Cinna himself a lovely character, as I loved him in the book.

At over 2 hours, I felt there still wasn't enough time to fit it all in, and I left thinking they'd done a rather brilliant job, but the book will always contain so much more. I would like to hear from anyone who went to see it who hasn't read the book.. did it all make sense?

Glad you enjoyed it, Michelle. :D

I haven't quite gotten around to reading the book but went to the movie knowing the storyline and ending. The movie was beautifully done and the effects were so convincing. Having seen it on the IMAX screen I could have done with a little less camera shaking because certain points made me close my eyes to try and refocus. The story is wonderful. Its hard these days to find a unique story.

Can't wait for the next movie (hopefully I'll have been able to finish all 3 books by then!) :D

I haven't seen the movie yet, but, a friend seen it and raved about how good it was. Also, it is getting great reviews in the U.S.

I am about 50% thru the second book and am not disappointed so far, thoroughly enjoy it.

I'm glad I wasn't imagining the camera shake Abby - it actually made me feel quite nauseous, which spoilt my overall experience. I hope you enjoy the books.

The worst shaking was at the beginning when they were trying to show the movie from Katniss' point of view. As soon as the camera was on her and not what she was seeing it got much better.

I liked the film, but I felt they missed out too much from the book. I also felt that the film should have been a 15 instead of a 12. The whole book is based on the fighting to the death and I don't feel it was captured very well at all so I was definitely disappointed by that because it was written so well in the book.

I saw it in IMAX on Friday and really enjoyed it. I did a lot of thinking about it over the weekend though and there were definitely some things that I felt they left out of the film that I really would've liked to have seen. I believe also that the action and suspense kept the book going along faster than it did in the film.

I didn't like the way Katniss just happened to come upon the Mockingjay pin in some random pile of junk at the Trading Post. I realize maybe they didn't have time to feature the Madge character (who gave it to her), but the way they did it in the film seemed to place very little importance on the pin. And is it just me, but after Prim's name was called at the Reaping, right after Katniss told her the pin was good luck, it didn't seem like such good luck anymore! :lol: I don't know if I would've wanted to pin after that. I also wish more development would've been done on Gale and Katniss's relationship, as well as hers and Peeta's.

Also, wasn't Haymitch more of a serious alcoholic in the books? Maybe they'll go into that more in the movies to come, but I can't even remember if it was mentioned that he was a former winner of the Games?

With that being said, I loved Cinna and Stanley Tucci did a very hilarious and cringe-worthy Flickerman! All the actors were just terrific.

Edited by Peacefield

My 15 year old daughter is seeing this tonight with friends. She has read all the books and is pretty excited. She is responsible for most of her friends having read at least the first one now too. I probably won't get to see it for another week.

Honestly, I heard the books are great, but after seeing the previews to the movie, it spoiled it for me. I lost my desire to read the books. I'm hoping someone can persuade me to read them anyway. Feel free to tell me why I NEED to read this series and what I'd be missing if I didn't. I would like to be re-interested.

Honestly, I heard the books are great, but after seeing the previews to the movie, it spoiled it for me. I lost my desire to read the books. I'm hoping someone can persuade me to read them anyway. Feel free to tell me why I NEED to read this series and what I'd be missing if I didn't. I would like to be re-interested.

Why not have a look at the thread for the books? http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/4188-the-hunger-games-series-by-suzanne-collins/ - lots of reviews and comments on there explaining why we loved, liked or hated them! :) I loved the first book, but didn't think the second and third were quite as good, but still enjoyable. Haven't seen the film yet, but hoping to go this week or next.

I saw the movie yesterday. I thought it was an excellent adaptation. The changes that have been mentioned didn't bother me enough to spoil the movie, although the shaky camera thing was way overused and very annoying.

I saw it last night.

Am I the only person that felt a little bored during it though :blush2:

I think it's because I only finished reading the book last week and it was a bit of an overload. My friend I went with also thought the same. She had only just finished it too. I guess the books are always better aren't they.

The film was pretty much spot on to the book though.

It annoyed me seeing bits missing but obviously they can't cover everything.

I found that

they didn't really make enough of the 'romance' between Katniss and Peeta I didn't think. In the book it's a big storyline about their survival.

I also didn't think they

showed enough of Katniss hunting and killing animals, collecting herbs & cooking etc.

but again they only have limited time.

I noticed they didn't

show the makeovers at the end when they have won the games.

Also

Rue didn't seem to be in it long but I guess she isn't in the book

What really really annoyed me was the camera shaking at the part when they

first enter the games and run off their platforms.

I couldn't tell what was going on & who was being

killed

etc.

I'm sure myself & my friend are in the minority though with regards to the film. We both LOVED the books.

I managed to catch this last night, and found it very enjoyable. The changes they made from book to film didn't really bother me enough to take from the enjoyment. I thought the characters were well cast and all gave great performances, particularly Katniss (and the people I went with agreed too). I, like you Michelle, was very happy they did Cinna well (Lenny Kravitz was an excellent choice and did the character well), because he was awesome in the novel. It was funny because one of my friends said: 'I hope she gets with Gale', followed by another saying 'Oh of course she will, the whole love triangle is so predictable, and she'll be with him in the end.' I laughed to myself and refrained from saying 'maybe it isn't so predictable after all.' :lol:

I forgot to add that I thought it was great that they had Caesar Flickerman narrating throughout the games and explaning things for the audience who haven't read the books. I.e explaing about the tracker jackers and their side affects etc.

I dragged my husband to The Hunger Games movie last Saturday and we both enjoyed it. If I could only get him to read the books! There were some things I think could have been expanded on, but, overall, I think the film makers did the best they could with the time they had, or otherwise we'd been watching a Gone With the Wind length film for an average size book. I really can't wait till this comes out on DVD.

Overall I did like the film, very enjoyable.

Two things bugged me though, firstly, which many have said, a film about children fighting to the death should not be a 12!

Secondly

I could accept all the futuristic science and technology up unto the point they created the dogs out of nothing... I haven't read the books so I don't know if this is explained or not but creating life out of nothing is best left to the gods.

I just watched Hunger Games at the cinema. We had to queue to get in , It was absolutely packed and there were queues waiting to go in for the next showing as we came out. I have never known that at a multiplex before. The audience in our particular showing was 95% teenage girls with their mothers so I was very glad I took two of my kids and didn't go on my own!

The adverts were all for sanitary towels and spot cream talk about targeting a demographic.

I enjoyed it and was thankful that what was in there was true to the book but there was something missing for me I am not sure what yet I will have to think about it some more.

At the scene with Rue's death the row of girls behind us were all sobbing.

Edited by vodkafan

I enjoyed it and was thankful that what was in there was true to the book but there was something missing for me I am not sure what yet I will have to think about it some more.

I totally agree with you. I enjoyed it but wouldn't watch it again I don't think.

I didn't get lost in the movie. I can't put my finger on what the problem was though. I thought it was because I had just finished the book and maybe it was a bit too much too soon but I'm not sure.

My experience was tainted as I was feeling unwell whilst there, BUT.. for me, it all seemed a bit rushed, with a lot of the subtleties missing. I think they did well as an adaption, but there's so much more in the book. Someone mentioned the mutts - this was really spoilt for me.. in the book it shows just how mean the gamemasters can be, but in the film it gave the impression they were created by the computer.

for me, it all seemed a bit rushed, with a lot of the subtleties missing. I think they did well as an adaption, but there's so much more in the book.

Again I totally agree Michelle. The whole Rue thing felt extremely rushed for me.

Also if I hadn't read the book I don't think I would have been able to follow it that easily. For example I'm pretty sure there was no reference to Effie's name. I wouldn't of known who she was :doh:

I saw the movie last week. It's a really good movie, but I feel like some things could have been done better. I also thought it was a bit rushed, and I think it would have been better if the movie concentrated more on the games instead of everything before the games. I know the events preceding the games are very important in the book as well, but the movie should have shown more details about the games themselves.