1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I know we shouldn't take these lists too seriously, but there are several versions of lists of "books everyone should read" floating around, and I have recently started selecting books off these lists to widen my reading repertoire, and been pleasantly surprised.

The lists have recommended titles and authors that I wouldn't otherwise have chosen (as unfortunately I am often too easily swayed by a pretty cover), and I have to say I have enjoyed some good reads lately (Anna Karenina excepted - hated it!)

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd mention that a third edition of this book has been released in the last day or so. A new version of the spreadsheet will appear on Arukiyomi's website shortly, for those of us who love lists and want to check out what books have been removed/added in the new version. :lol:

I thought I'd mention that a third edition of this book has been released in the last day or so. A new version of the spreadsheet will appear on Arukiyomi's website shortly, for those of us who love lists and want to check out what books have been removed/added in the new version. :lol:

:lol: Oh boy, that's a lot of work right there. (Must admit, it might be rather fun :lol:) Too bad I don't have my book with me so I could make alterations. I don't think I'll be removing any of the books from the 2nd edition book though, I think I'll just be adding. Do I realise that in that way, it more than 1001 Books, and I'll never finish the challenge because new editions will always come my way? Yes :D

:)

Thanks Kylie for the info! :D

Edit: I've just read some of the comments about this on the goodreads.com 1001 Books -group and there's someone saying that the difference last time (from 2006 to 2008 edition) was something like 100 books. So it's not just a small change, oh boy.

Edited by frankie

It will be interesting to see if it will be a similar amount this time. I noticed after I made my last post that Arukiyomi is now asking for donations for the new spreadsheet. I'm sure the list will appear elsewhere though.

It will be interesting to see if it will be a similar amount this time. I noticed after I made my last post that Arukiyomi is now asking for donations for the new spreadsheet. I'm sure the list will appear elsewhere though.

Does he now. Well, in all fairness, it would be easy just to write the new list down, but he makes those spreadsheets and has apparently arranged all the other lists, the added stuff and the omisions really neatly.

Yes, I saw the screen snapshots and it does like really nicely done. Apparently he is also releasing a 'lite' version which will just be the 2010 list. I'll have to think about which one I want.

I just checked the Goodreads 1001 group, and someone who has the new book has posted a list:

Here are the titles that were removed:

1. Animal's People

2. The Reluctant Fundamentalist

3. The Kindly Ones

4. A Short History of Tractor's in Ukranian

5. Small Island

6. The Plot Against America

7. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time

8. Islands

9. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

10. The Heart of Redness

11. Small Remedies

And the new ones... drum roll please...

1. The Elegance of the Hedgehog

2. The Children’s Book

3. Invisible

4. American Rust

5. Cost

6. The White Tiger

7. Home

8. Kieron Smith, Boy

9. The Gathering

10. The Blind Side of the Heart

11. Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

So not a very big change! They've taken off one that I've read and two that I have on my TBR pile. :lol:

.I just checked the Goodreads 1001 group, and someone who has the new book has posted a list:

Here are the titles that were removed:

1. Animal's People

2. The Reluctant Fundamentalist

3. The Kindly Ones

4. A Short History of Tractor's in Ukranian

5. Small Island

6. The Plot Against America

7. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time

8. Islands

9. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

10. The Heart of Redness

11. Small Remedies

And the new ones... drum roll please...

1. The Elegance of the Hedgehog

2. The Children’s Book

3. Invisible

4. American Rust

5. Cost

6. The White Tiger

7. Home

8. Kieron Smith, Boy

9. The Gathering

10. The Blind Side of the Heart

11. Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

So not a very big change! They've taken off one that I've read and two that I have on my TBR pile. :lol:

A very small change indeed! I was expecting a lot worse. Although those changes are compared to the 2008 edition, I'm doing the 2006 version and I've never even looked at the 2008 edition. What are the two that are on your TBR pile? Read them anyway, if you've bought them you want to read them and deserve to cross them off a list!!

I didn't know The Reluctant Fundamentalist was on the 2008 list, I just read about the book in the May Reading Circle poll and I thought it was really interesting. What was A Short History of Tractor's in Ukranian doing on the list anyway, I thought the book was ****?? I hate that they've omitted Small Island (on my wishlist), The Plot Against America (on my wishlist), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time (I've read it and absolutely loved it), The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (on my wishlist, although not disastrous because it's on the Rory list anyway so I'll get to read it and cross it off). Weirdos!!

The new additions: I love it that they've added The Elegance of the Hedgehog because I've recently bought it and it's supposed to be really good, I also wouldn't mind reading The White Tiger. But the other names? I've never heard of most of them, and Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is total BS according to BF. Aren't they supposed to add great titles and not just random novels??

I've read and loved A Curious Incident... and I have The Plot against America and Kavalier and Clay on my TBR pile. I didn't buy them as list books but it would have been nice to be able to cross them off. Well, I probably still will cross them off, because I tend to stick more to the original list. :lol:

I would prefer that they made more changes to older books on the list rather than contemporary novels. Some of these are so new that it's impossible to tell whether they will stand the test of time. I think they should stop adding new books and play around more with books from the 1900s.

While I'm glad in a way that they didn't change the list too much, I'm kind of annoyed that they've gone to so much trouble for so few changes.

I've lost 4, and gained 2. Of the losses, I don't mind Curious Incident or Tractors in Ukrainian, both of which are nice enough but pretty lightweight.

I'm shocked that the excellent Plot Against America is off, given how much better than other Roth I've read it is; and even more shocked that the brilliant Kavalier and Clat has gone. It seems the editor is moving against New York jewish world war II books.

Of the additions, The White Tiger is probably deserving, although it's not as good as the two I mention that have gone. And as for Oscar Wao, it's utter garbage and has no place anywhere except the recycling bin.

'The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao' was terrible .. at least I thought so. 'The White Tiger' was good and I can see why The Children's Book' is included .. a remarkable read (though too detailed for me).

I would've thought 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' should have stayed on the list ... whilst not exactly challenging it was quite thought provoking and was maybe one of the few novels narrated by a character with Autism/Aspergers.

Thanks Frankie. I'm going to send a few dollars and get the super-dooper version. I left a comment on Arukiyomi's page to mention that I like to add a 'w' to the list for books on my wish list, and he has kindly incorporated my suggestion into the spreadsheet. :smile2:

Thanks Frankie. I'm going to send a few dollars and get the super-dooper version. I left a comment on Arukiyomi's page to mention that I like to add a 'w' to the list for books on my wish list, and he has kindly incorporated my suggestion into the spreadsheet. :smile2:

I noticed your message on his page earlier and was wondering if it was you, because it was signed 'Kylie'!! So cool that he added that feature into the spreadsheet :) :) A very good feature it is.

I realised while I was downloading the spreadsheet that yet again, I would need Microsoft Office for that and I don't have it (long story). So no spreadheeting for me :D

Anyways, have fun with the listing! :P

OMG!! Sure I have Open Office, but I never realised I could open that (Microsoft) spreadsheet using Open Office instead!! I'm such an IT moron at times :) Now I can do the Rory spreadsheet as well, which I previously figured I couldn't do because it was also a Microsoft Word spreadsheet. Yay, very pleasant occupation for a lazy Saturday :)

Thanks ever so much Janet :smile2:

Edited by frankie

I'm looking at the 2010 list now and it's like a whole other list alltogether, I keep forgetting that the list I've been doing is the 2006 version and it's changed since that once before already. Very confusing :smile2:

Edit: I'm so pleased to see that there's even a Finnish novel on the list, V

Edited by frankie

I'm looking at the 2010 list now and it's like a whole other list alltogether, I keep forgetting that the list I've been doing is the 2006 version and it's changed since that once before already. Very confusing :smile2:

Edit: I'm so pleased to see that there's even a Finnish novel on the list, V

On the list I've got .. which may be an older one, the list recommends 'The Summer Book' by Tove Jansson .. (No. 352). Obviously I know 'The Moomins' but I haven't heard of this particular book .. have you read it Frankie?. I read the reviews on Amazon and it sounds like the sort of book that I'd like.

Forgive me for making the assumption that because the author's Finnish you're bound to have read her book ;)

Ah, I'd forgotten about Tove Jansson! I guess that's partly because although she was from Finland, she was actually Swedish-Finn and she wrote in Swedish. Her Moomins novels are popular here but I've never been a fan, I thought the Moomins are really boring :smile2: So I have to say I've never read anything by her (I've watched the tv-series as a kid and that's it). I tried one of her book once for about a page and it was okay, I can't really remember which book it was and why I didn't finish it.

If you're interested in the novel, do give it a go! :lol: I think ii from the forum has read it, or at least some other Jansson novel and if I remember correctly she enjoyed it :lol:

I didn't 'get' The Moomins either .. I tried reading them when I was little.

This book looks promising though .. (Waterstones Synopsis)

An elderly artist and her six-year-old grand-daughter are away on a summer together on a tiny island in the gulf of Finland. As the two learn to adjust to each other's fears, whims and yearnings, a fierce yet understated love emerges - one that encompasses not only the summer inhabitants but the very island itself. Written in a clear, unsentimental style, full of brusque humour, and wisdom, "The Summer Book" is a profoundly life-affirming story. Tove Jansson captured much of her own life and spirit in the book, which was her favourite of her adult novels. This new edition, with a Foreword by Esther Freud, sees the return of a European literary gem - fresh, authentic and deeply humane.

I think I will add it to my ever increasing TBR list ... even though I said I wouldn't add any more :smile2:. I know from looking at this list that there are some that I'd never read because they're just not my thing .. but a lot of those that I've looked up seem to be really good ;).