reading the same paragraph about 5 times before it sinks in

Phil1980

Some books flow nicely but others..in my case historical books, have me reading the same paragraph over and over again before I understand what ive just read haha. Is it just me or do other people have this problem? I'm currently reading 'All Hell Let Loose' by Max Hastings, and whilst its fascinating I'm constantly referring to the dictionary and the internet for reference. I'll be reading this for some time I think :readingtwo::banghead:

Yes I have that problem sometimes, but I find it's usually more to do with distractions around me than what I'm reading. Or if I'm really tired, it can feel like nothing I'm reading is actually going in.

Edited by Ruth

I know the feeling! I usually find it is because the writer is using particularly long sentences, dotted with a comma here or there and I can't seem to connect with it. Very frustrating.

I find this more with spiritual books than with other types of non fiction, usually where the writer says something so profound that really makes you want to stop and re-read to make sure you really understood.

It happened to me with Ayn Rand.

And now with Mr God This is Anna.

Some new ideas take time to chew on and get inside.

But I like going slow with books like these - makes you almost stop and breathe. Deeply.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...