Dark Tower Series - Stephen King

kitty_kitty

Kitty, Nici, I can help you here, I have read them all!, granted 'The Gunslinger' is a bit slow but it does get better and the rest of the series is just brilliant! So go for it!

Be warned, if you get too engrossed, Roland will become your friend!:D

Are they doing a graphic novel prequel or the whole series in graphic novels

That they are Kitty, here is one of the pictures for it.:D

DarkTower_p0304_col2-1.jpg

I think you should dive right in. :D It's a great series that will really drag you into the story. I have to admit, I preferred the early books, and was a bit disappointed in the last few that he published (though I absolutely loved the ending). My favourite is Wizard and Glass. Such a sweet story. :blush:

I also have these books sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read!

I have been told that the first one is really quite hard to get into but you have to read it and then the rest of the books are brilliant...

I bought these second hand but as new and i have been daunted about starting them so come on tell shall i dive in?

What are they like without spoiling it!?

I envy both of you. You have some great reading ahead of you. I wish that I had all those great books to read. Oh well, I enjoyed them when I did read them. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh a definite dive in. I really loved this series. Not a total King fan but these are wonderful. Roland is my hero. I was so sad when the final book was finished and no follow up to look forward to... *sigh* "Wizard and the Glass" my favourite too. :D

Start them ASAP, they are superb. The Gunslinger does drag its heels for the first 50 pages but after that the whole series flies by IMO. My favourites is Wolves of The Calla for the various modern sci-fi references but you will no doubt gain your own.

• 2 years later...

I used to go to a local reading group and the first book in this series was one we tried

I often find Kings book difficult to get into, but i did like the first book of this series and ended up getting all the others. Personally i think some books are better than others. And i was annoyed that King wrote himself into the series and tried to link instances from other books into this series - that was a cheat i think

And the ending ......... well if you;ve not got that far i wont spoil it for you but i was so annoyed :lol:

Think about the epic grandness of 'Lord Of The Rings', then add a few shots of spagetti western, some 'Wizard Of Oz', a little horror, and shake well.

All the books are different in feel, but they share vivid characters and great scenes, and also tie in some of King's other books.

The first book is dry, and a simpler affair than the others, and this may be a stumbling block, but beyond it are some impressively complex worlds.

As a little horn-blowing of my own, the end of the series mirrors a short story I wrote when I was in my teens, almost exactly, but don't let that put you off.

Edited by Pablo

I own and read the first 3 years ago but haven't gotten or even attempted to get the 4th or any other i don't even have any idea how many more there are as there was such a big gap in between I lost interest. I might re-visit them again at som point though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I think I have a crush on Roland. He's amazing!

I think the first book is my favourite so far (just finished book 5).

The series really is worth the time invested. I'd have to say that The Gunslinger is one of the best books I've ever read. I wasn't so keen on Wizard and Glass but that was really because I didn't like the female character in it (don't want to give a thing away!).

I have to pace myself and only read one every other book I read (so a non Dark Tower after each one) otherwise I think I'd go Todash myself!

• 4 weeks later...

I've read the gunslinger, I really liked it but I'm biased towards Stephen King anyway, I think he's a great horror/fantasy writer. My boyfriend wanted to start reading more, so I thought he would like Stephen King. We read the first book together and now we're moving onto the next.

• 1 month later...

I've read 1-4 and have the rest on my Self ready to be read.

Easily some of the best story writing I've ever read. Each book is set in very very different surroundings so your reading a completely different book each time. The characters are so strong and vivid. I can't wait to finish my current book so I can continue this series.

I desperately want a Billy Bumbler of my own.