Me Before You by JoJo Moyes

Star

It’s getting fab reviews at the moment and people are saying it will be book of the year. I think it will be hard to top this.

From the cover -

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

My review –

Will Traynor is in his early thirties loves life and lives it to the full. He enjoys travelling, being a powerful businessman, sports, sex and much more. That is until he is involved in a motorcycle accident that leaves him paralysed pretty much from the neck down.

Will doesn’t enjoy life anymore. He hates being restricted to a wheelchair, being spoon fed like a baby, having decisions made for him, being bathed, having to rely on others to change his tubes, being in constant pain and on medication for the rest of his life and knowing that he won’t get any better. His independence has gone. He doesn’t have his own place anymore and has had to move back in with his parents. He wants to end his life by going to Dignitas in Switzerland.

His mother hires a carer named Louisa Clark to look after him on a 6 month contract to try and change his mind and show him that he can still live a happy life.

Lou is such a warming caring character who I really felt I connected with. We see her change from this unambitious person who couldn’t think of anything worse than wiping a person’s bottom to this outgoing courageous young lady.

I didn’t like Will at the beginning. He was so grumpy and sarcastic that he made me angry but as the book goes on and the bond between Lou and Will grows he changes too. I started to like him and found him funny and witty.

The writing is fantastic, the characters are believable and it makes you think about the every day things we take for granted. Jo Jo Moyes has done her homework here and researched it well. It is such a believable plot.

It’s an incredibly moving book that will make you feel grateful for what you have. I will recommend everyone to read it. It’s much, much more than a love story. Don’t be put off by the girly cover. I couldn’t put it down. I loved every single page of it. It made me laugh out loud and made me cry too. I don’t think I will read a book that will even come close this year. It will stay with me for a long time, maybe even for life. Truly a beautiful read that everyone must put on their wishlist this year!!!!!!!!

Edited by Star

I can second this, fantastic book!!!!!!! :-)

Thanks Chalie. You were right about it :smile:

I cannot wait for JoJo to write more. For a debut novel aswell :o

I honestly don't think I have EVER read a book as good as that. It really moved me. If I thought I had read one then this has topped it because I can't even remember it lol. It will take some beating thats for sure.

Any recommendations on anything similar? I tend to like the sad books, I like to feel moved.

I loved Will in the end. The bit about the mushed up carrots in his food as she was feeding him really made me laugh. Oh and when he bought her those tights for her b'day made me cry. Will read this again without a doubt :D

It wasn't actually a debut novel (I've learned since reading Me Before You), it was her 9th book, so there's a decent back catalogue for you to peruse, here's a link to her website ..

http://www.jojomoyes.com/

I'm trying not to buy any books at the moment but I have a couple of them on my Amazon wish list, The Horse Dancer and The Ship of Brides.

Another book that made me 'feel' as deeply as this was Night Road by Kristin Hannah, she's an American author and not all of her books are easy to find over here (at least not at a reasonable price) but this one was part of a book club, Richard and Judy I think, so there were lots of copies over here. It was in my top 6 books last year and has stayed with me, rather like Me Before you will I think. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished this one. I read most of it on the sly at work because I just couldn't put it down! It is fantastic and I'm so glad I read it. I'll be reviewing it in my book log as soon as I've managed to put my thoughts together on it.

And to anyone who's wavering over this one..... do it!

I've just finished this one. I read most of it on the sly at work because I just couldn't put it down! It is fantastic and I'm so glad I read it. I'll be reviewing it in my book log as soon as I've managed to put my thoughts together on it.

And to anyone who's wavering over this one..... do it!

Yay glad you liked it :friends3:

She has another book coming out in September called 'The Girl You Left Behind' which I can't wait to get my hands on. Although I can't find the blurb on it yet I'm sure if it's only half as good as this then I know I'll enjoy it :D

I agree with Chalie I don't think I've recommended a book so highly before. I can't believe you found it in a charity shop. I don't think I could part with it :blush2:

Come back and let us know what you think Ruth :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

I've managed to find the blurb of her new novel The Girl You Left Behind due out on 27th Sept if anybody might be interested.

What happened to the girl you left behind?

In 1916 French artist Edouard Lefevre leaves his wife Sophie to go to fight at the Front. When her town falls into German hands, his portrait of Sophie stirs the heart of the local Kommandant and causes her to risk everything - her family, reputation and life - in the hope of seeing her true love one last time.

Nearly a century later and Sophie's portrait is given to Liv by her young husband shortly before his sudden death. Its beauty speaks of their short life together, but when the painting's dark and passion-torn history is revealed, Liv discovers that the first spark of love she has felt since she lost him is threatened...

In The Girl You Left Behind two young women, separated by a century, are united in their determination to fight for the thing they love most - whatever the cost

Thanks for this Star! It sounds great. I can't wait to give it a read.

Please come back and post what you thought of it after :flowers2:

I was really excited to give it a try but it doesn't sound as good as 'Me Before You' so I'm sat on the fence at the mo :blush2:

Edited by Star

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would have to agree with all of the review and say that this was a fantastic book and one that I have recommended to all of my friends. It was a unique story with some very touching moments. Brilliant, cannot wait to read more of her books.

• 1 month later...

I ordered this from the library on 17th August and have still not received it. I decided to call them yesterday and it appears that there are 50 people in the queue before me waiting to read this book!

I consoled myself by buying The Girl You Left Behind as it is in Asda Charts at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Another book that made me 'feel' as deeply as this was Night Road by Kristin Hannah, she's an American author and not all of her books are easy to find over here (at least not at a reasonable price) but this one was part of a book club, Richard and Judy I think, so there were lots of copies over here. It was in my top 6 books last year and has stayed with me, rather like Me Before you will I think. :smile:

Chalie I've ordered Night Road. It's on its way and I got it for a bargain price. Brand new £2.19 :o:D:readingtwo:

It's been on my list ever since you recommended it. I shall let you know what I think once I get round to reading it. Very excited about this one!!! :P

Edited by Star

Chalie I've ordered Night Road. It's on its way and I got it for a bargain price. Brand new £2.19 :o:D:readingtwo:

It's been on my list ever since you recommended it. I shall let you know what I think once I get round to reading it. Very excited about this one!!! :P

I'm sure you'll love it Star, I recently finished her latest book, Home Front, which didn't disappoint either!! :smile::readingtwo::smile: