Crime Classics Challenge

bree

I just completed reading Christie's Partners In Crime - a collection of 14 short-stories with Tommy and Tuppence as the leads.

While the stories are not her best ones, it is a light-hearted read, with each short-story mimicking the style of a famous fictional detective of the period - 1920s.

I was tempted to read the originals, and picked up the list from this wiki link.

This is the list of the 14 authors and their detectives (and in some cases the exact book alluded to):

1. Herbert George Jenkins - detective Malcolm Sage (1921)
  2. R. Austin Freeman - Dr Thorndyke
  3. Valentine Williams - detective brothers Francis and Desmond Okewood (The Man with the Clubfoot : 1918)
  4. Isabel Ostrander - detectives Tommy McCarty and Denis Riordan (The Clue in the Air : 1917)
  5. Arthur Conan Doyle's - Sherlock Holmes (The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax : 1911)
  6. Clinton H. Stagg - the blind detective Thornley Colton
  7. G. K. Chesterton - Father Brown
  8. Edgar Wallace
  9. Baroness Orczy - Polly Burton and Bill Owen (The Old Man in the Corner : 1909)
  10. A. E. W. Mason - French detective Inspector Hanaud
  11. Freeman Wills Crofts - detective Inspector Joseph French
  12. Anthony Berkeley - detective Roger Sherringham
  13. H. C. Bailey - detectives Dr. Reginald Fortune and Superintendent Bell
  14. Agatha Christie - Hercule Poirot (The Big Four)

Most of them seem to be available as free e-books on the internet - which makes it easy.

I hope to enjoy this challenge, and re-visit "Partners In Crime", to fully appreciate the parodies.

If you could make any sense of this, and it interests you, do join in!

Edited by bree

Ooh, interesting challenge! I've read Partners in crime, but didn't realise the stories were parodies! If most are available free I'm tempted to give it a go - and then like you, go back for a reread! I've read the Big Four, so 13 to do!

Ooh, interesting challenge! I've read Partners in crime, but didn't realise the stories were parodies! If most are available free I'm tempted to give it a go - and then like you, go back for a reread! I've read the Big Four, so 13 to do!

Yay! Do join in - and yes, a quick search will throw up the online free e-books.

I have read the Big Four too - but I don't seem to remember it(!)