Reading Comfort Zones

I have just finished reading 'You Got Nothing Coming' by Jimmy Lerner. Recommended by a friend, it gives a graphic (both of detail and language) account of life in an American prison. Left to my own devises I would never have thought about reading this type book, but it was a very insightful and (if it's possible) enjoyable read.

Have you read a book that you would never have dreamt of reading, but in the end, really enjoyed? Or do you stick within your reading comfort zone and only read tried and tested genres?

Edited by karen.d

I like to read things outside of my comfort zone sometimes. Sometimes I've read books that I've found discomfitting or upsetting, and I wouldn't do that just for the sake of doing it, but it's taught me to appreciate different genres. I've realised that sometimes I'll like something that I never would have considered reading before. Also, I don't like to stick to just one genre or author (in fact, I try never to read two books by the same author or in the same genre in a row).

Also, I have to say that this is largely due to being part of such a good forum here. Reading people's opinions on books that I wouldn't have previously considered, will often encourage me to try something different myself. :)

Nearly all the books I read for my reading group are books I would never have chosen otherwise. Sometimes you hit on a gem and other times you tear your hair out in frustration. I rarely refuse to read a book (I even read The Da Vinci Code for them, for goodness sake!) but I sometimes find I've got to the meeting without having had the inclination to read the book - this is usually reserved for the crime books as I hardly ever enjoy that genre, and it would have to be something out of the ordinary to tempt me. Generally though, of the two book choices every month, at least one will be something I would never have picked up on my own.

I'm more of a discomfort-zone-non-reader (how weird does that sound!)

I won't read horror (The Shining was enough to confirm that I'm a scaredy-cat) and sci-fi (my mind just doesn't seem to be able to appreciate it).

Anything else I'm willing to try at least once.

Nearly all the books I read for my reading group are books I would never have chosen otherwise. Sometimes you hit on a gem and other times you tear your hair out in frustration. I rarely refuse to read a book (I even read The Da Vinci Code for them, for goodness sake!) but I sometimes find I've got to the meeting without having had the inclination to read the book - this is usually reserved for the crime books as I hardly ever enjoy that genre, and it would have to be something out of the ordinary to tempt me. Generally though, of the two book choices every month, at least one will be something I would never have picked up on my own.

same here. Thanks to my book group I have read some corkers, which I probably wouldn't have picked up otherwise. And a few duds too! I doubt I would have read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, A Perfect Balance, or Soul Catcher if they hadn't been picked for the reading group, and I loved all of those books.

Like you, I never refuse to read a book, but occasionally I've skipped reading one, because I pretty much know I won't like it.

Edited by Ruth

When it comes to NOVELS,I my "comfort zone"(MY FAVORITES)are sci-fi and sea stories(which inspired my picture that I have here on the forum and my profile)and adventure stories but I read all other kinds of books aswell but those are my favorites.I like to a variety of genres.

I reluctently picked up Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, but thought that I wouldnt enjoy it at all but I absolutly loved it. Its now one of my favourite books now.

This was also one of those books for me! I picked this book up at the library a few years ago, knowing nothing about the author or even what a Geisha was and I absolutely loved it. This is now one of my all time favourite books.

This was also one of those books for me! I picked this book up at the library a few years ago, knowing nothing about the author or even what a Geisha was and I absolutely loved it. This is now one of my all time favourite books.

Me too! :smile:

I am open to all genres but chick-lit. Thanks to this forum though you guys have expanded to my ever increasing list, mostly of books I never knew existed, or new authors I have never heard of.

I will admit, when I first joined this forum, I felt a little out of place because my knowledge of authors/books is so small compared to you all. :lol:

I am open to most things too, although I don't go a bundle on horror or chicklit, I have read some chicklit and enjoy it occasionally after I have a lot of heavier books. The one thing I would never read though is celebrity autobiography, at least not the modern kind. I thought I would add that last bit, as at the moment I am halfway through reading Charlie Chaplin's memoirs.

I am open to all genres but chick-lit. Thanks to this forum though you guys have expanded to my ever increasing list, mostly of books I never knew existed, or new authors I have never heard of.

I will admit, when I first joined this forum, I felt a little out of place because my knowledge of authors/books is so small compared to you all. :lol:

I'm sometimes intimidated by the knowledge that people have on here, but I think this is an excellent place to expand your knowledge and library of books (Amazon loves me! :P). So much so, that I am considering joining in the Reading Circle on here, so I can read other titles that in normal circumstances, I would not normally consider.

I am open to most things too, although I don't go a bundle on horror or chicklit, I have read some chicklit and enjoy it occasionally after I have a lot of heavier books. The one thing I would never read though is celebrity autobiography, at least not the modern kind. I thought I would add that last bit, as at the moment I am halfway through reading Charlie Chaplin's memoirs.

I used to read chick lit, but then realised that a lot of them are mostly all the same. I'm also a bit wary of reading autobiographies, but there are few out there that I would like to read.

Edited by karen.d

I do like to try outside my comfort zone. Only just started reading some autobiographies and self-help type books. My least favourite genre is crime, but I read that too on occasion (when it is recommended to me).

I find that reading "different" books really give me a lot. And I'm lucky enough to have a lot of family members who read different genres and aren't hesitant about sharing them with me :)

• 4 weeks later...

I do not object to reading any type of book, I would happily pick up a book and start reading without knowing the synopsis or even the genre but whilst I have soooo many books I want to read that are in my comfort zone I am gonna stick to them for now :)

Maybe soon I will mix things up. But I do like to swap around genres very randomly so I don't get bored.

Edited by Timstar

I reluctently picked up Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, but thought that I wouldnt enjoy it at all but I absolutly loved it. Its now one of my favourite books now.

Same for me. When I first started the book I expected it to be a real slog, but I adored it.:)

The thing that puts me off a lot of celebrity biographies, is that - well, they aren't really celebrities. Someone who appeared on X Factor - and didn't even win! - writing their life story, at age 21 or something like that? That's just ridiculous to me, and a blatant attempt to cash in on the tv show (which I refuse to watch anyway). I do like auto/biographies of genuine celebrities though. I am currently reading an excellent biography of Gregory Peck, and earlier this year read a superb biography of Gene Kelly. I have Charlie Chaplin's memoirs on my tbr pile (I say pile, but really it's more of a mountain).

I used to read chick lit, but then realised that a lot of them are mostly all the same. I'm also a bit wary of reading autobiographies, but there are few out there that I would like to read.

I'm a bit 'over' chick-lit. There are some good chick-lit authors out there, but most of the time, I can predict exactly what will happen. Occasionally I might pick one up, especially if I've just read something particularly long or involved, but generally I'm not interested in the genre.

I totally agree Karen - don't get me wrong, if you like that sort of stuff then I don't judge anyone, but I personally prefer something a but meatier.

The thing that puts me off a lot of celebrity biographies, is that - well, they aren't really celebrities. Someone who appeared on X Factor - and didn't even win! - writing their life story, at age 21 or something like that? That's just ridiculous to me, and a blatant attempt to cash in on the tv show (which I refuse to watch anyway). I do like auto/biographies of genuine celebrities though. I am currently reading an excellent biography of Gregory Peck, and earlier this year read a superb biography of Gene Kelly. I have Charlie Chaplin's memoirs on my tbr pile (I say pile, but really it's more of a mountain).

I know where you are coming from on this one too - before you can write an autobiography it helps if you have something to put in it, and it also helps if you write it yourself. Let's face it though, a lot of so-called celebrities can't even speak properly let alone write !

Edited by Talisman

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree Karen - don't get me wrong, if you like that sort of stuff then I don't judge anyone, but I personally prefer something a but meatier.

Chick lit seems to be the same story, but different every time. Once I read a few, I spotted the pattern and got bored after that. Chick Lit may be great for the beach but like you, I prefer something meatier.

Hi Karen

your thread actually made me think...I do stick to my comfort zone usually. Humm...thanks for the prompt I am going to go for something completely not me next time!! Thank you.

Oh and also thanks for the tip on the book...suppose that will be added to my TBR list!! Agrh!!

Andie P x

Non Fiction is stepping out of my comfort zone but after reading Bury The Chains by Adam Hochschild a book about slavery I intend to dip my toe in the water a bit more. Also would agree about the celebrity autobiographies however I did read The Moon is a Balloon David Niven's autobiography years ago & loved it so maybe it does depend on the celebrity. Modern crime is a genre I would've put down as not being my sort of thing but have read quite a few recommendations on here recently & enjoyed them so it just goes to show it's better to be open minded about what you will read.

Me too! I read it on the recommendation of a friend (no excuses she also lent it to me to read) Very dubious as didn't think it was my cup of tea it all but I absolutely loved it...

Me too! I read it on the recommendation of a friend (no excuses she also lent it to me to read) Very dubious as didn't think it was my cup of tea it all but I absolutely loved it...

Its now one of my favourite of all time books, I enjoyed it that much! :)

Guest Eliza1

I've read books that I thought would be difficult to read, like some of Charles Dickens works. I'm not lazy but I usually would stick within my comfort zone and read something that didn't take very much concentration or thought. I set myself a challenge and I really enjoyed it! I don't let anything put me off the classics now although I did find it difficult to read Bleak House and I gave up :P

In terms of disturbing works, there is nothing I won't read, it's good to get an insight into everything possible, that is what life is about really. The closest I've come to being out of my comfort zone in those terms is when I read "She's come undone" by Wally Lamb. I found that novel really raw and I thought about it a lot afterwards. A really good experience though in retrospect.