ian

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yes, Boomtown was very good. Kind of like Kurosawa's Rashomon for tv :smile:

Another one that springs to mind is Bochco's Brooklyn South, which I was really getting into when it was cancelled. I think Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue, much as I loved both of them, each ran their course, but Brooklyn South had great potential, imo.

Oh, and I forgot, for me, one of the most obvious ones - HBO's Rome. Loved it.

Brooklyn South!! Thank you! When I was on here yesterday and saw this thread, I was trying to remember the name of that show. I liked it a lot, and agree that it had a lot of potential. I think there are just so many US police shows out there, that it's hard for a lot of shows to compete.

Does anyone remember Murder One? (also a Bocho show). It was a shame that didn't run for longer, The first season in particular was excellent, and the second was good too, although a couple of character changes and a slight format change didn't work brilliantly. It was still riveting television though. From the mid 90s (I think).

I liked NYPD Blue, but agree that it ran its course. Those seasons with Ricky Schroder nearly finished it off, but when Mark-Paul Gosselaar came into it, it picked up again. I always liked the Jimmy Smits seasons though (actually I had a bit of a crush on Jimmy Smits).

Oh yeah, American Gothic was getting really good when it got cancelled!

Anyone remember Tales of the Gold Monkey??

Ah yea, I loved the Wonder Years! I'd forgotten about that.

I also loved

Moonlighting

GBH (although it was a self contained story so I'm not sure how you'd bring it back)

The Riff Raff Element

Tales of the Golden Monkey! Brilliant! Nobody I know even remembers this - I was beginning to wonder if it was a figment of my imagination!

And Moonlighting & GBH were both excellent too!

I liked NYPD Blue, but agree that it ran its course. Those seasons with Ricky Schroder nearly finished it off, but when Mark-Paul Gosselaar came into it, it picked up again. I always liked the Jimmy Smits seasons though (actually I had a bit of a crush on Jimmy Smits).

Yeah, the Jimmy Smits seasons were best although, for me, that show was always about Sipowicz and Dennis Franz, he was just so good in that show. It did start to get silly in the end, as they always found away to kill off yet another one of his family members just to put him through it a bit more, but I'll never forget the episode when Sipowicz and Simone turned up at a hospital to take the details about a body that had been brought in, and they found it it was Andy Jr. Franz was just outstanding.

Tales of the Golden Monkey! Brilliant! Nobody I know even remembers this - I was beginning to wonder if it was a figment of my imagination!

Definitely not your imagination! Stephen Collins and Roddy McDowell. I think the network were trying to cash-in on the success of Indiana Jones at the time, but the show wasn't really that kind of thing, iirc.

When I first saw this thread I immediately thought that 'Frasier' would be the series I would bring back. But then I changed my mind. In the last programme they had all gone their separate ways, finding happiness etc. and the scenario that I loved about the programme - Frasier, Martin and Daphne living in Frasier's flat and Daphne quite oblivious to the fact that Niles was secretly in love with her - was no more. No. I'm quite happy to watch the repeats!

Yeah, the Jimmy Smits seasons were best although, for me, that show was always about Sipowicz and Dennis Franz, he was just so good in that show. It did start to get silly in the end, as they always found away to kill off yet another one of his family members just to put him through it a bit more, but I'll never forget the episode when Sipowicz and Simone turned up at a hospital to take the details about a body that had been brought in, and they found it it was Andy Jr. Franz was just outstanding.

Totally agree. Dennis Franz made that show - he WAS that show. And that scene that you mentioned, I remember crying my eyes out when I saw that. Franz is by all accounts, an extremely nice man in real life. He and David Caruso did not get on together, in fact David Caruso annoyed a lot of people on that show (Bocho said that he would never work with him ever again). Caruso's last scene had to be done in one take, because Caruso said he would only do it once.

Smits and Franz got on very well apparently :) Maybe that's why the on-screen friendship was so convincing.

The West Wing - now there was a show where the quality never dipped. :) Quite rare these days. Studio 60 was good too.

A lot of that had to do with the writing - same writer - Aaron Sorkin. :) Incidentally, he wrote Sportsnight too - if you haven't seen it, go back and watc hit, it's great!

Another show I loved and wish they would bring back - Dead Like Me. Two seasons, then bye-bye! Same - I loved the dark, quirky humour in it. :(

Totally agree. Dennis Franz made that show - he WAS that show. And that scene that you mentioned, I remember crying my eyes out when I saw that. Franz is by all accounts, an extremely nice man in real life. He and David Caruso did not get on together, in fact David Caruso annoyed a lot of people on that show (Bocho said that he would never work with him ever again). Caruso's last scene had to be done in one take, because Caruso said he would only do it once.

Smits and Franz got on very well apparently :) Maybe that's why the on-screen friendship was so convincing.

Caruso does seem to have a, shall we say, large ego, doesn't he? I remember at the time when he left the show he was claiming that he was going to become some kind of major movie star. I liked Kelly as a character but the whole thing took off when Bobby Simone arrived.

Just remembered that Titus Welliver was in both Brooklyn South and Deadwood. Titus Welliver. What a great name. Seems to be a guarantee of cancellation, though!

Great shows I'm seeing listed! I'll second West Wing and Gilmore Girls for sure. I'd also love to see Freaks and Geeks come back.

The first thing that came to my mind is to see Spaced again, and maybe how it'd be fun to see where Daisy and Tim and the gang are now all these years later, but then I thought against it because if we caught up, it wouldn't really seem like the old show. I liked seeing them all in their 20's, acting crazy and irresponsible. Not like they couldn't be like that when they were older, but I think it'd just be weird. Saying that, I sure wish they would've had more than 2 seasons! Heck, I wish they had a full 22 episode season and not this 7 episode business. I wanted more! :motz:

Yep, those crazy Brits and their ridiculously short seasons!

I still haven't watched all of Spaced. I had to start again because I forgot where I was up to. I think I finished the first season before I stopped again. I like it, but, well, I think I'm missing something (I know for sure I must be missing a lot of sci-fi references).

A lot of that had to do with the writing - same writer - Aaron Sorkin. :) Incidentally, he wrote Sportsnight too - if you haven't seen it, go back and watc hit, it's great!

Another show I loved and wish they would bring back - Dead Like Me. Two seasons, then bye-bye! Same - I loved the dark, quirky humour in it. :(

I haven't seen Sportsnight, but I might have to look for that. (I think I've heard of it - if it's the one which Felicity Huffman was in). Dead Like Me looks good too. :)

Caruso does seem to have a, shall we say, large ego, doesn't he? I remember at the time when he left the show he was claiming that he was going to become some kind of major movie star. I liked Kelly as a character but the whole thing took off when Bobby Simone arrived.

Just remembered that Titus Welliver was in both Brooklyn South and Deadwood. Titus Welliver. What a great name. Seems to be a guarantee of cancellation, though!

Titus Welliver. Yes, he pops up in things now and again (he was in an episode of Suits recently), but doesn't seem to get many main cast roles these days! Good actor though. He played a small part in NYPD Blue as well, as Sipowicz's doctor in season 2 (I think).

Titus Welliver. What a great name. Seems to be a guarantee of cancellation, though!

Nathan Fillion has the same problem - Firfly and Drive got cancelled before the end of their first seasons. If he's the main star, you ca nguarantee it'll get cancelld. Apart from Castle. That one seems safe for the moment. We're on season 4 and it's just as good as it's always been, so there's hope that he's broken the curse! ;)

I haven't seen Sportsnight, but I might have to look for that. (I think I've heard of it - if it's the one which Felicity Huffman was in). Dead Like Me looks good too. :)

Yup, Felicity Huffman, Josh Charles, Peter Krause, Joshua Malina (who was also in West Wing), and in season 2, we also had William H Macy (Huffman's real-life partner). It's a great show. Much shorter episodes than West Wing or Studio 60 - about 25 minutes each without the commercial breaks - but there are 45 episodes and they're all great. Well worth watching. :)

Titus Welliver. Yes, he pops up in things now and again (he was in an episode of Suits recently), but doesn't seem to get many main cast roles these days! Good actor though. He played a small part in NYPD Blue as well, as Sipowicz's doctor in season 2 (I think).

Oh crikey, I remember that now! Seriously, though - who'd want to be Sipowicz's doctor? :lol:

Nathan Fillion has the same problem - Firfly and Drive got cancelled before the end of their first seasons. If he's the main star, you ca nguarantee it'll get cancelld. Apart from Castle. That one seems safe for the moment. We're on season 4 and it's just as good as it's always been, so there's hope that he's broken the curse! ;)

Yeah, Castle's great fun, and it seems to have made him quite a star. I think Joss Whedon has a guaranteed recipe for cancellation. Angel, Dollhouse, Firefly - Nathan Fillion just got caught in the undertow on that one I think!

My Brother would agree with you, Vodkafan, he raves about it! I, but it reminds me to add Space 1999 to the list!

UFO. Anybody else remember that ? Karsa?

I have vague memories probably watching the repeats in fact I know it was watching the repeats as I was a mere twinkle in 1970 I remember the wierd hair of the main guy, white carpet like and women wearing a lot of silver clothing :D didn't it appear partly on earth and partly on a moonbase or am I thinking of something else

Oh yes. Ed Straker and co. I had a toy of one of the Interceptor craft when I was a kid, used to fire a missile right across the room. Very dangerous but highly amusing :D

I also remember Gabrielle Drake with purple hair ... :wub:

didn't it appear partly on earth and partly on a moonbase or am I thinking of something else

That's the one :smile:

In fact, bring back everything Gerry Anderson ever did!

In fact, bring back everything Gerry Anderson ever did!

So long as it's not another live action Thunderbirds movie :banghead:

Actually, I did quite like the re-vamp of Captain Scarlet they did a few years back.