Most over-rated film ever?

Timstar

I was wondering what people think are the most over-rated films they have ever seen?

Films that are popular and praised, win awards and make loads of money... but you just can't understand why!

Good chance of making some people angry! but feel free to express your views.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me a main contester has to Hunger. Set in Ireland in 1981, it follows a prison in which ultimately Michael Fassbender goes on a hunger strike in opposition to British rule.

I am very open to films, and a big fan of Fassbender. I do love artistic films of all sorts.

This film was critically praised and everyone who had seen it told me how brilliant it was.... I just don't understand. It is truly awful. Without giving to much away...First of all it follows two inmates (not Fassbender's character) there is not explanation who they or what they did, doesn't explain there motives or believes. Just shows them in their daily prison lives (which is grim) for about half the film then just leaves them. Don't know what happens to them or anything. They don't go on hunger strikes or show up again in the film.

It then moves on to Fassbender's character in Prison (again no previous connection to the other two, or anything about his life pre-prison.) It has one good scene, about 15 minutes of un-cut dialogue between Fassbender and a Priest, where he explains what he wants to do.

I won't explain anymore, but basically the hunger strike is completely underwhelming.

Ultimately you feel nothing for the characters or their cause.

This was directors Steve McQueen's debut film, it had so much potential and I was so disappointed. His new film, Shame, has also been praised in the same way, I will give it a chance but certainly won't pay to see it.

I felt that way about Cloverfield when I saw on TV. Everyone Ispoke to had been banging on about how original it was etc etc. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind but I watched it and thought "is this it?" The ending really bugged me as well. At least I hadn't paid to see it!

Good thread!

Ian

I felt that way about Cloverfield when I saw on TV.

Oh, and The Blair Witch Project. I was still waiting for it to get started, when it finished!

No one likes the hand held films then! I didn't mind these two, but I would have to agree that they are overrated

I would choose this too and 'Blade Runner'.

Yeah I never got Blade Runner... might have been too young to appreciate it fully. Stupid number of editions for it as well.

Yeah I never got Blade Runner... might have been too young to appreciate it fully. Stupid number of editions for it as well.

I had to watch this as part of a film studies modules at uni and I didn't (and still don't) understand why it has received such a cult following.

I think a handful of the Oscar nominated films this year are hyped beyond belief:

• Puss in Boots for best animated feature.
  • Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy for best actor, adapted screenplay and original score
  • The Help for best actress, best supporting actress (two nominees!), best film and everything else
  • Hugo for best film, director, adapted screenplay and everything else

For me a main contester has to Hunger. Set in Ireland in 1981, it follows a prison in which ultimately Michael Fassbender goes on a hunger strike in opposition to British rule.

I am very open to films, and a big fan of Fassbender. I do love artistic films of all sorts.

This film was critically praised and everyone who had seen it told me how brilliant it was.... I just don't understand. It is truly awful. Without giving to much away...First of all it follows two inmates (not Fassbender's character) there is not explanation who they or what they did, doesn't explain there motives or believes. Just shows them in their daily prison lives (which is grim) for about half the film then just leaves them. Don't know what happens to them or anything. They don't go on hunger strikes or show up again in the film.

It then moves on to Fassbender's character in Prison (again no previous connection to the other two, or anything about his life pre-prison.) It has one good scene, about 15 minutes of un-cut dialogue between Fassbender and a Priest, where he explains what he wants to do.

I won't explain anymore, but basically the hunger strike is completely underwhelming.

Ultimately you feel nothing for the characters or their cause.

This was directors Steve McQueen's debut film, it had so much potential and I was so disappointed. His new film, Shame, has also been praised in the same way, I will give it a chance but certainly won't pay to see it.

Hi Timstar

I think what the viewer of this film needed was a previous knowledge of the hunger strikes that happened in Long Kesh prison. The message I got from this powerful film was what a waste of human life on all sides occured during the "troubles" in Northern Ireland and the failure of all the political sides involved not to have gotten around a table and negotiated a solution to a very complex problem, most notably an illegal occupation of its neighbouring nation by the British Government and its armed forces. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox. :smile:

Back on topic:

Totally agree about Tinker, Taylor. Most over-rated thing I have seen in ages. Some more for the list:

Titanic

The Kings Speech - Colin Firth as usual playing Colin Firth. That man's range is never-ending. :smile:

The Untouchables - One of the worst mob movies I have ever seen. Again starring an actor who plays himself in every role: Sean Connery.

Edited by Milo MInderbinder

I had to watch this as part of a film studies modules at uni and I didn't (and still don't) understand why it has received such a cult following.

Can't agree on this one...blasphemy!! Blade Runner is superb..Philip K Dick story... artistic vision of Syd Mead..the music..the concept of artificial humans and the issues raised ....for me a recent over rated piece of rubbish was the latest Planet Of The Apes effort...typical of the worst Hollywood films..just throw some big names in with a formula plot and a lot of CGI. They will still be talking about Blade Runner in 25 years time while films like this will be forgotten.

Hi Timstar

I think what the viewer of this film needed was a previous knowledge of the hunger strikes that happened in Long Kesh prison. The message I got from this powerful film was what a waste of human life on all sides occured during the "troubles" in Northern Ireland and the failure of all the political sides involved not to have gotten around a table and negotiated a solution to a very complex problem, most notably an illegal occupation of its neighbouring nation by the British Government and its armed forces. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox. :smile:

My history on the subject isn't perfect, but I'm aware of the atrocities committed by both sides. The film did well to portray a couple of these. But it still left the viewer completed disconnected from the characters. You don't know which side to route for, or what happens to the characters at the start of the film. It portrays practically nothing of his hunger strike. It has long slow shots which are completely meaningless, like a guy mopping the floor for about 5 mins!!

Can't agree on this one...blasphemy!! Blade Runner is superb..Philip K Dick story... artistic vision of Syd Mead..the music..the concept of artificial humans and the issues raised ....for me a recent over rated piece of rubbish was the latest Planet Of The Apes effort...typical of the worst Hollywood films..just throw some big names in with a formula plot and a lot of CGI. They will still be talking about Blade Runner in 25 years time while films like this will be forgotten.

I agree that 'Blade Runner' will be one of those films that will be debated about for years to come. There will be those who hate it and those that love it. In defense of 'Blade Runner' I think that anything, whether it be a film or a book, that sparks up a debate, is a good thing. For me however, I just don't see the appeal of this film at all.

And Slumdog Millionaire

It was a dreadful film. Such a shame because the book was brilliant! It didn't deserve ANY of the Oscars it won and shouldn't even have been nominated in the first place, to be honest.

Titanic- not only the name of the ship, but the only thing big enough to describe James Cameron's ego. Made even worse by Celine Dion's warbling.

So true. What a dull film, especially considering the talent involved.

By the way Coffin Nail, I love your avatar. That's one of all time favourite movies and actors :)

With you on this VF. I love every second of Bladerunner. I actually think the film based around Dick's book was better. I think what this thread shows is how subjective films are. Lets raise a glass to the power of cinema.

Ooh, just thought of another absolute stinker: The Thomas Crown Affair. I'm a big McQueen fan but that film was awful.

I really really really disliked Avatar! There I said it :lol: Oh and the Harry Potter movies - mainly because of Daniel Radcliffe!