True Crime

kitty

I really loved reading True Crime a while back, anybody else read it? Think it makes a change from Fiction now and again. I do get some strange looks if anybody sees what i'm reading!:D

My favourite of all I have read, is a book about Ed Gein.

I quite like to read a few True Crime books here and there. I read one a couple of years ago which I really enjoyed.

THE DEADLY GAME

Simon Cooper

Let the games begin.....

He was a quiet, gentle man. He was someone who mocked a man dying of cancer. He was a reptile. He was a weird recluse.

Wrapped in cheery festive paper, six parcels were delivered to branches of Barclays Bank across London. But the paper hid a deadly Christmas gift. Inside each parcel was a video cassette box and inside each box lurked a booby trapped shotgun cartridge. A trap that detonated as two workers opened the boxes.

Attached to each parcel was what appeared to be a still from the hit film reservoir Dogs, annotated with a cryptic message - 'Welcome to the Mardi Gra Experience'.....

I like True Crime. I did go off it for a few years after I read about the Black Dahlia case, but I'm back into it again. :blush:

I like anything by John Douglas - he wrote Mindhunter, a brilliant read. The best True Crime book I have read was Helter Skelter, about the Manson family. Scary stuff! :blush:

Kitty, I think I've read that Ed Gein book. Is it called Depraved? He was one sick puppy. :D

Yes it was, very sick! I have not read some of the books mentioned by you, so ill be putting them on my list. Im going to Florida in about 4 weeks, and there is this great book shop there, that does all Crime really cheap. My boyfriend hates it!:D

• 1 month later...

Kitty,

I hope the Florida book shop is as good as you remember it to be......

As for true crime... Joseph Wambaugh and Ann Rule are two true crime authors I enjoy immensely. Does anyone else read them?

I love reading posts and getting new authors to add to my list of authors to check out...I have annotated Ed Gein, Simon Cooper, & John Douglas. Thanks!

Danna

I used to read a lot of this genre when I was younger. I must be becoming a bit of a wuss now though as I find most of it just gives me the creeps and I can't sleep. Find myself listening out for noises in the dead of night & imagining the bogey man coming to get me.:sleeping-smiley-009

I suppose living alone doesn't help! The best (or should that be scariest) I ever read was The Shankhill Butchers by Martin Dillon. Freaked me out so much I only ever got half way through it and it's back on my TBR pile. Someday.....!!

I like true crime as a subject, espcially certain specific ones like JFK's assassination, the Borden case etc. Depending on one's viewpoint, there is some truth in the adage "fact is stranger than fiction". There is a case on record where the killer shot her victim using a bullet made from pig's bone and so the police could not find the mechanical bullet that they were looking for at autopsy.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you imagine someone whittling a pig's bone to use as a bullet? That right there should have been enough for the jury to find her guilty!

Danna

The bone bullett fragmented and dissipated into the victim's body tissues after being fired. At autopsy, they mistook the fragments for the victim's own bone tissue.

YIKES! That is absolutely too much information to take in before breakfast!!!

That was a person determined to pull off "the perfect crime." I hope the authorities caught the culprit!

They did. The story appears in a good True Crime anthology called What the Corpse Revealed by Hugh Miller. This particualr story is called Ego Tripper.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not usually into the true crime thing, but Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson, was recommended to me and I loved it..historical suspense about a serial killer at the World's Fair in Chicago in the late 19th century. Very well written -- I could not put it down!

:lurker:My first post!