Janet's Roald Dahl's Children's Books Challenge! **Completed**

Janet

I am going to attempt to read all of the books that Roald Dahl wrote specifically for children, together with the two parts of his memoirs, Boy (which I have already read) and Going Solo.

The Books

01. The Gremlins (1943) This book is unavailable and very difficult, if not impossible, to get hold of, so unless a miracle happens, it won't be included!*
02. James and the Giant Peach (1961) - finished 15.09.12 - 3/5
03. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1964) - finished 06.11.12 - 3½/5
04. The Magic Finger (1 June 1966) - finished 20.05.13 - 2½/5
05. Fantastic Mr Fox (9 December 1970) - finished 29.02.12 - 4/5
06. Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (9 January 1972) - finished 07.11.12 - 1/5
07. Danny, the Champion of the World (30 October 1975)
08. The Enormous Crocodile (24 August 1978) - finished 28.01.15 - 3/5
09. The Twits (17 December 1980) - finished 01.02.12 - 2½/5
10. George's Marvellous Medicine (21 May 1981) - finished 03.04.12 - 4½/5
11. The BFG (14 October 1982) - finished 17.06.13 - 3/5
12. The Witches (27 October 1983) - finished 01.04.14 - 3½/5
13. The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me (26 September 1985) - finished 05.03.12 - 3/5
14. Matilda (21 April 1988) - finished 21.12.12 - 4/5
15. Esio Trot (19 April 1989) - finished 05.03.12 - 5/5
16. The Vicar of Nibbleswicke - (9 May 1990) - finished 14.08.15 - 2½/5
17. The Minpins (8 August 1991)

Children's poetry
1. Revolting Rhymes (10 June 1982)
2. Dirty Beasts (25 October 1984)
3. Rhyme Stew (21 September 1989)

Memoirs
1. Boy (1984) - finished 06.02.12 - 5/5
2. Going Solo (1986) - finished 20.05.13 - 3/5

* See post by Hayley below. :)

15/22

Edited by Janet

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good challenge! I love Roald Dahl too!

Isn't this the Roald Dahl's 'The Gremlins'? I know its a re-print and not the original but it looks like it's still the original text http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gremlins-Artists-Writers-Guild/dp/1593074964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329666245&sr=8-1

Looking forward to seeing what you think of them all :smile:

What a fab challenge Janet, I love Roald Dahl too, I have so many favourites of his but I always remember reading 'The Magic Finger' at school. :) Happy reading hen :)

RoaldDahl.jpg

:)

Great challenge. I've read several of his books, and have many more on TBR. I have too many challenges to attempt this one properly, but I'll chip in with a few posts now and again when I get around to some of his books on TBR (I do plan to read some of them this year). Best of luck with this one, Janet. :smile2:

Thanks Paula. :)

I used to have that picture of Matilda as my avatar on here - I ought to change it back in recognition. :)

I thought it looked familiar :)

What a great challenge! I read most of the Roald Dahl books when I read them to my daughter, now she's a mum herself! :blush2: I love them :smile: I didn't know about The Gremlins though. Happy reading Janet.

Thanks. :) I only found out about The Gremlins a few weeks ago when I was reading about Roald Dahl on Wikipedia :)

Great challenge. I've read several of his books, and have many more on TBR. I have too many challenges to attempt this one properly, but I'll chip in with a few posts now and again when I get around to some of his books on TBR (I do plan to read some of them this year). Best of luck with this one, Janet. :smile2:

Thanks, Ben. :) Despite my new year's resolution, I'm woefully behind with my reviews. I need to catch up before I forget what happened in all the books! :giggle2:

I thought it looked familiar :)

Thanks for reminding me about her - she's back! :)

I am going to attempt to read all of the books that Roald Dahl wrote specifically for children, together with the two parts of his memoirs, Boy (which I have already read) and Going Solo.

An excellent challenge! I'm definitely going to pop in and keep a track of your progress (thus not needing to figure out myself which books of his I should read. I can just go for the ones you rate the highest :giggle:)

Thanks Paula. :)

I used to have that picture of Matilda as my avatar on here - I ought to change it back in recognition. :)

I recognised the pic and knew you've had it as an avatar before, but I never knew it was Matilda! :)

Anyways, happy reading! :smile2:

An excellent challenge! I'm definitely going to pop in and keep a track of your progress (thus not needing to figure out myself which books of his I should read. I can just go for the ones you rate the highest :giggle:)

:giggle2:

Thanks, frankie. :)

Hi Janet,

I'm new here and hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread and asking you a few questions.

Your challenge sounds so much fun and I'd love to join in too.

I'm not sure of how these challenges work - so if I'm out of line saying I want to join - do feel free to tell me go make my own!

(And how do these challenges work? Do you read the books in a particular order an post reviews, or something else?)

Thanks!

Happy reading Janet .. what a happy challenge .. you're going to be laughing lots :D

Thanks - I certainly will! :giggle2: I found Esio Trot for 20p in a charity shop today (actually, two copies in the same shop - so I bought one for my niece who is also collecting them!). :D

Hi Janet,

I'm new here and hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread and asking you a few questions.

Your challenge sounds so much fun and I'd love to join in too.

I'm not sure of how these challenges work - so if I'm out of line saying I want to join - do feel free to tell me go make my own!

(And how do these challenges work? Do you read the books in a particular order an post reviews, or something else?)

Thanks!

Hi bree. Welcome to BCF. :)

Of course you can join in. Just start your own thread in here and list how you get on. Anything goes really, so I'm not going to read them in any particular order - just whichever takes my fancy. I have quite a few on my 'to read' pile, and am looking out for the rest in charity shops - or the library. :)

With other challenges I've done, I tend to post my reviews in my 'reading log' in the main section (that this forum is a sub-forum of) but I might post the Roald Dahl ones in this specific thread. :)

Hi bree. Welcome to BCF. :)

Of course you can join in. Just start your own thread in here and list how you get on. Anything goes really, so I'm not going to read them in any particular order - just whichever takes my fancy. I have quite a few on my 'to read' pile, and am looking out for the rest in charity shops - or the library. :)

With other challenges I've done, I tend to post my reviews in my 'reading log' in the main section (that this forum is a sub-forum of) but I might post the Roald Dahl ones in this specific thread. :)

Thanks Janet, makes sense now!

Have fun with Dahl - I hope to catch up with you soon :reading:

Great challenge :) I'll be looking out for your reviews because I really should read more by Dahl :)

Thanks - I must catch up with all my reviews!!

... I can't deny there is an utterly scrumptillyumptious temptation to join in with this one too! Maybe next year ... ;)

:lol:

Better late than never!!

• 3 weeks later...

Book 1/22 - Review - finished 1 February 2012 - 2½/5

007-2012-Feb-01-TheTwits.jpg

The Twits by Roald Dahl

The ‘blurb’

Mr and Mrs Twit are really disgusting. They smell because they never wash, they fight because they play tricks on each other, AND they hate children. But worst of all, they keep monkeys in their back garden. In cages. It's time for the monkeys to get their revenge on these two most revolting creatures…

One of Dahl’s books for younger readers, and of course, a story with a moral. The Twits are not nice people – they don’t even like one another, let alone anyone else. They keep monkeys in the garden because they used to work at a circus – Mr Twit makes the monkeys do everything upside down. One day a strange, wise bird appears and helps the monkeys formulate a plan that will enable them to have a better life, whilst having a little revenge on the evil Twits.

I'm not sure if this was a good place to start my challenge or not! The story was quite amusing, but there wasn't really a lot to it. As I am woefully behind with my reviews, I do know that it's not going to end up as my favourite of Dahl's children's books but despite this it was enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

Book #2 - finished 6 Feb 2012

009-2012-Feb-06-Boy.jpg

Boy by Roald Dahl

The ‘blurb’

Into his description of an enchanted boyhood spent in Wales and Norway, counterpointed with his cruel, often barbaric, existence at an English public school, Roald Dahl weaves a sparking thread of reminiscence filled with wit, high spirits and more than a touch of his macabre.

Boy covers Dahl’s family life from before his birth until he leaves school – he states that it’s not an autobiography but rather a collection of stories about his life. Dahl was born in Wales to Norwegian parents – his father had become wealthy after starting his own business and Dahl led a pretty idyllic childhood.

This memoir is packed full of photographs, drawings and anecdotes – all in Dahl’s relaxed conversational tone. In one incident Dahl describes having his adenoids taken out on a table at the doctor’s surgery with no anaesthetic - ouch! Many of his tales made me chuckle out loud. For instance, the time when the family holidayed in Norway and he put goat droppings in his sister’s boyfriend’s tobacco (probably funnier than it sounds!).

It’s not without its bleaker side too. Dahl’s sister died of appendicitis when he was just three years old, and his father died weeks later of pneumonia. His mother thought of returning to Norway with her children, but his father had wanted the boys to receive an English education so the family stayed. Dahl attended public schools – first a preparatory school in Wales when he was seven, transferring to boarding school in England at the age of nine and then at 12 moving to Repton in the Midlands. His time at these schools was not always happy – the masters favouring corporal punishment, but there were some good times (notably an incident referred to by Dahl as The Great Mouse Plot).

After Repton, Dahl joined the company Shell as a trainee, and this is where the book ends. I think whether you are young or old you will find something for you in this excellent book and I’m very much looking forward to reading the second part, Going Solo.