Margaret Atwood books

KAY

Just got through reading half of the shorts in The Dancing Girls, a collection of hers. I enjoyed what I read. I could do with a recomendation of a single title of hers to start out with.

I'd go with Alias Grace, but her books are all pretty much fantastic. :sleeping-smiley-009

• 7 months later...

How Do Yo Download Audio Versions?

I didn't enjoy "surfacing". I couldn't finish it.

Thanks for that Polka Dot Rock I'll give Oryx And Crake a try.

Edited by Maureen
Merged posts, amended punctuation.

• 2 years later...

I've read two Atwood books now, Lady Oracle and Moral Disorder (which I've just reviewed in my reading blog) and the thing I've noticed with both, is that they require you to think. I'm not sure if I can say I've enjoyed either book, but have been challenged by both, and will probably attempt some more (we have a few on the bookshelves at home that I haven't read yet) but my experience so far is that they do require time and dedication to appreciate them.

I loved the Blind Assassin and Alias Grace but then felt really disappointed by Oryx and Crake. I think I'd bought it fully assuming that it would be my new "favourite book ever" so I was only ever going to feel disappointed!

I still think she's a beautiful writer and any time I've heard her on the radio I feel like the world makes slightly (but only slightly) more sense.

I've read A Handmaid's Tale and Oryx and Crake and really enjoyed both. I can't wait to read The Year of the Flood, but I'm waiting for that in paperback.

I also have Alias Grace, Cat's Eye, The Robber Bride and Surfacing on my TBR pile. :lol:

I LOVE Margaret Atwood. She is officially my favourite author. I read The Handmaids Tale for A Level, and although I did enjoy it, it was spoilt slightly by having to over-analyse it and memorise huge chunks! I think if I were to re-read it I would probably enjoy it much more.

I've also read The Blind Assassin and Cat's Eye (my review for that is here) and they are two of my all time favourite books. I just think she writes sooo beautifully.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished reading 'Year of the Flood' which I really enjoyed but I am now going to have to go back and re-read 'Oryx and Crake' as they appear to be linked, some characters appearing in both the books, and there is quite a lot of stuff that I didn't understand when I originally read Oryx and Crake but now makes sense, having read 'the flood'. I also really like the cover for the hard backed version of 'The Flood' - very Adam and Eve!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've only read the Handmaid's Tale, which I read as part of my ALevel Eng Lit course. Did it at the same time as 1984. I really loved Handmaid's Tale (it's become one of my favourites) but hated 1984 :lol:

same here!!! I didnt hate 1984 but definitely didn't think it lived up to the hype. The Handmaids Tale was definitely my favorite of the two!! :-)

• 1 month later...