A fresh outlook on Historical Fiction

Yannick Grant

Hi guys, I just finished reading the Day Time was Hacked, it is a historic time travel book. And I hear you guys groaning, oh god sci-fi, I came here for historical fiction! But this book is different, so here is my review:

When reading the back cover of The Day Time Was Hacked, some will face a psychological struggle. Science fiction fans will ponder upon the historical facts and the setting in the Vatican, and the history lovers will wonder about the futuristic elements of this gripping story. But this is a battle not need fought, for Carel Mackenbach has the capacity to fascinate any type of reader - whether they are thriller lovers, history diggers or sci-fi fanatics. This is sci-fi time travel and history, executed to perfection. The author weaves history, science and fiction into a marvelous tale astonishing in both its detail and vision.

Mackenbach takes the reader from Mary Magdalene's arrival in France, to the Vatican and Washington DC, on to a striking new world in 2315. Mackenbach's debut novel is a gripping, tech-literate thriller that spans the past and the future. This story is different from everything we ever read. It balances the seemingly unconnected stories of the main characters until they fall together in a gripping chain of events that takes us on a journey, not only through space and time, but also through the wonders of the human mind.

Mackenbach is evidently an intelligent author, effortlessly spinning tales within tales, within tales. In an inception-like way the author guides you through the different narratives, never losing his public in his complexity. Right from the first pages you are dragged into mysteries and puzzles which need to be solved. After having read the last words, you will find yourself going back through the pages, to see the intricate plot unfold itself before your eyes once more. Only then you discover extra layers in the story, those hidden gems that had not revealed themselves at first.

The Day Time Was Hacked is all about the suspension of disbelief, and the high suspense and complexity of the plot make it a real page-turner. With the his scientific reasoning, Mackenbach sets his foundations so credible in description that many will not dare think about disbelief, long after the tale is finished. Mackenbach is truly a leading Dutch expert of new technologies, who knows Geo-politics in depth and has a profound knowledge of history. I was extremely impressed by the depth of research into the organizations represented in the book: The Secret Archives of the Vatican, the United States Naval Observatory, The US Naval Network Naval Command, for example, and many more. In reading Mackenbach's comments on his research, it truly felt like we were getting the latest scoop on cutting edge technology and future projects. The Day Time Was Hacked stands out from other books about time travel, not only because of its plot, but also because it sheds a fresh light on a future that may be.

This book gives the reader an insight in places not accessible to most people. Mackenbach describes everything in such vivid detail and color, it truly is as if you were there. If you don't have time for a trip around the world, Mackenbach's is the next best thing. Mackenbach takes the reader on a tour of the birthplaces of civilization, while intertwining it with incredible fiction.

Readers of The Day Time Was Hacked will find it hard to keep track of time, while they are lost in this book. Stories of days spent reading are not uncommon among his readers, myself included. For two days I was not available for anything, I just kept on reading. If I was to criticize Mackenbach, my only criticism would be that this book is so immensely packed with information, side-plots, and much more that The Day Time Was Hacked will keep me busy for much longer than just those 2 days spent reading.

So to conclude, The Day Time Was Hacked is definitely a must read. This debuting Dutch writer has written a book in a language that is not even his native language, but that is nonetheless a fully fledged American masterpiece. Carel Mackenbach weaves a great story that ranges from religion, sci-fi, intrigue, and adventure running to a great conclusion. The Day Time Was Hacked is a thrilling tale that has everything you want out of a book. It is a book that leaves its readers profoundly happy and extremely unsatisfied, yearning for more.

CanI ask if you have any connection with this book, the author of the publisher?

It's unusual for a first post from a genuine member to be a review such as this and we prefer promoters to be upfront and honest about thier intentions, as per the rules of the forum.

Of course you can ask, I can tell you I have absolutely no connection the author or the publisher for that matter. I am just a fan, and I love both reading and writing so I like to write long posts. Besides I tihnk there are a lot of undervalued authors out there, being crowded out by the big writers, so that's why I made an effort to write my recommendation.

So yes guess you can call me a promotor, but not a commercial one, just a promoting fan ;)

My husband just downloaded this book to his kindle, read the first bits to me, and it does sound good. The writing is well done so far.

And the price was right, at 2.99 USD.

Edited by pontalba

Of course you can ask, I can tell you I have absolutely no connection the author or the publisher for that matter. I am just a fan, and I love both reading and writing so I like to write long posts. Besides I tihnk there are a lot of undervalued authors out there, being crowded out by the big writers, so that's why I made an effort to write my recommendation. So yes guess you can call me a promotor, but not a commercial one, just a promoting fan ;)

What do you do for a living. You are surely good at writing book reviews.

Haha thank you for your love, I am a software engineer by day and a history enthusiast by night. When I went to college it was either computer science or history, and well computer science won that battle. But I still love history and some small part of me wishes I would have chosen a history major. So whenever I come across some historical fiction I truly can't help myself ;)