Would you like to live in a house like this?

rykketid

Whoaaaa ><

I wish I could live there *o*

When the journalist ask him he said that he has 30 000 books in there, and 50 000 altogether !!!!

But during 3/4 of the interview he is talking about old books. For exemple, the first book he show, the big one, was so expensive that it took him three year to paid it o_o. So I think most of his books are collection one, but still, this is a very nice library

Whoaaaa ><

I wish I could live there *o*

When the journalist ask him he said that he has 30 000 books in there, and 50 000 altogether !!!!

But during 3/4 of the interview he is talking about old books. For exemple, the first book he show, the big one, was so expensive that it took him three year to paid it o_o. So I think most of his books are collection one, but still, this is a very nice library

That is amazing! I was hoping someone would be able to translate! Thank you!

Edited by Devi

For the love of books, don't let Kylie see this! :giggle2:

Kylie Eco. What do you think? It has a nice ring to it. :P

My marriage proposal is on my way to him as we speak. :)

Is that an etymological dictionary he's looking at, Taïr (the expensive book it took him 3 years to pay off?)

How wonderful, I've always wanted a library with a sliding ladder, in fact it will be a must have if I win the lottery! :smile:

me too....and preferably a hot houseboy that will climb on up there for me to get the books since am afraid of heights :giggle:

Yes it is, it's one volume of "Etymologiae" by Isidore of Seville

And for the curious, here a more detailed translation :

At first (from 0:30 to 0.50) to they are talking about is book : "The Prague cemetary" and how he's mixing reality and fiction.

Around 0.55 the journalist ask : "Do you know exactly where are every books of your library" and Umberto Eco answer "Yes, yes I do" (I don't know how he does though xD. He have so many books)

Then they talk about the expensive old book (Etymologie d'Isidore). Umberto said that the book is wonderfull because the paper is a very good quality, that it seems that it was print a few day ago and that it seems totally manuscript/handwritting (I don't know why he first said "print" then "manuscript" xD). Then he say he found it in Paris, and took three years to paid it.

After, he's talking about another book which is "the world's most beautifull book" for the paper quality, the drawing inside...(Le songe de Polophile) And the book is very expensive because everybody want it. It was printed in Venise in the end of the 15 century (around 1499).

After, when Umberto Eco is in his chair, they are talking about how many books he has (30 000 books in there, and 50 000 altogether). Then, about how false documents are use to make and falsify history and he give fiews exemples ("La Donation de constantin", "La lettre du prêtre Jean" The Priest Jean Letter's, The syrian report to Bush about nuclear weapon in Irak...). Some drive to good things (The Priest Jean Letter's), and others to bad things (The Syrian report). Then in the end, he is talking about his book : "The Prague Cemetary"

Edited by Taïr

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome, it was a good exercise x)

And I'm actually reading a book (A discovery of Witch) who make me want to study old books, his library attract me even more now ><