Dystopian novels

Chiara

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have mentioned, The long Walk by Stephen King, The man in the high Castle by Philip K Dick are both very good. Also Fahrenheit 451 is a true classic of the genre. I must get around to reading some of the others mentioned on this thread; it's a genre I particularily enjoy but I seem to have neglected it for a while now

Also The Forever War by Joe Haldeman if you want something more futuristic.

This has been on my TBR list for a while, I have it in an Omnibus edition called Peace And War. I've kind of agreed with myself I can't read it unless I read War And Peace too around the same time (that's such a big, complicated book that I haven't started it yet). Silly maybe, but I'm weird like that :readingtwo:.

This has been on my TBR list for a while, I have it in an Omnibus edition called Peace And War. I've kind of agreed with myself I can't read it unless I read War And Peace too around the same time (that's such a big, complicated book that I haven't started it yet). Silly maybe, but I'm weird like that :readingtwo:.

:lol:

The Forever War is fantastic.  I haven't bothered with the sequels, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. A Clockwork Orange and Fahrenheit 451 have already been mentioned but I feel the need to repeat it because they are absolute favourites of mine so give those a go! :)

Agree completely with Salma :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Dystopian fiction is my favourite genre!

I love the social critique that runs through them, and how the author uses their artistic license and imagination to create a world that is so different, but so similar to ours.

The Hunger Games (which you've already read) is very similar (or it was in my mind) to Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

1984 by George Orwell

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (full on messed up, but so readable)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Philip K Dick (this is the book that the film Blade Runner was based on)

Don't judge me for this one, but The Passion of New Eve By Angela Carter. It was completely weird, like seriously, I think Carter was high the whole time she was writing it, but for some strange reason, I really enjoyed it.

Edited by Cumberbabe

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know some other good dystopian novels? :smile:

Just finished Aldous Huxley's Ape and Essence. While he's better known for Brave New World, A&E is well, err... really trippy. Of it, wikipedia states:

'The book makes extensive use of surrealist imagery, depicting humans as apes who, as a whole, will inevitably commit suicide.'

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Haven't posted on this forum for a few years but have completely gotten my reading bug back over the past few weeks and I seem to be swaying towards the dystopia genre quite a bit.

It started with The Hunger Games trilogy, but all the series I've looked up seem to be YA novels, which is fine, but since I'm not a YA anymore, I feel I should be reading something more age appropriate.  :D

I've recently read The Silent Land by Graham Joyce which I quite enjoyed, and I've just finished America Pacifica by Anna North which was ok.  I also read Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland a few years ago and loved it.

I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations along those lines?  I'd like to read another series of books, but it doesn't necessarily have to be one.

I loved The Passage by Justin Cronin. It´s planned as a trilogy. The 2nd part is called The Twelve, and the last one is not yet released.

Also really good was The Road by Cormack McCarthy.

Edited by Niamh

Although technically I fit into the YA age bracket I find many of those books lacking for what I like to read, so I would recommend the The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood, along with Kidsmum's suggestion of the Handmaids Tale which is also brilliant.

Edited by bebesyy

Thanks everyone! I saw Wool in Asda yesterday and made myself put it back on the shelf as I bought three books last week  :D I'll put it on my TBR list though.  I've seen all the others on dystopia lists on Goodreads but some of the reviews on there can be quite conflicting! I'm actually waiting for The Road to come back into the library so fingers crossed I can read that in a few weeks.

Picked up one called Outpost by Adam Baker from the library today so hopefully it'll be a good read.

This keeps coming around, but I can't find the other threads that cover dystopian/post-apocalyptic novels.

A quick list of suggestions:

The War of the Worlds, by H.G. Wells

The Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham

The Kraken Wakes, by John Wyndham

The Drowned World, by J.G. Ballard

The Death of Grass, by John Christopher

Nineteen Eighty Four, by George Orwell