opinions on Clive Barker books

charmer

Hi charmer

Weaveworld is one of my favourite books, here is the synopsis from Amazon:

Cal Mooney is mysteriously drawn towards an old house in Liverpool. There, in the form of an old carpet, he witnesses a world of rapture and enchantment by which he is beguiled. Unbeknownst to Cal, this is 'Weaveworld', created decades before by the Seerkind, a people more ancient than man, gifted with magical powers. Threatened with annihilation in the last century they wove themselves and their culture into a carpet for safekeepng. Now, with the last of their human caretakers dead, the Weaveworld comes to life. Dark forces are alerted by the awakening: a desperate battle is about to begin.

Weaveworld is a book of visions and horrors, a story of quest, titanic struggles, of love and hope. Barker weaves a spell of enchantment around his readers, encapsulating a world that is at once terrifying and miraculous, magical and monstrous, impossible to resist and heart-breaking to leave.

Hope you enjoy whichever one you try next! :)

• 1 year later...

I recommend Coldheart Canyon (A Hollywood Ghost Story) i couldnt put it down. Also Mister B Gone was a good read about a demon called Jakabok Botch writing his story, and also Galilee was a good read. Im going to order the books of blood and hellbound heart to read.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I´ve read all books of blood (my favorite tale is "The Midnight Meat Train"), they are very good and they really scared the hell out of me. So did "The Hellbound heart". But I think that my favorite so far has been "Cabal". Very gripping.

Clive Barker comes close to being my favorite author.  I've read a lot of his work, attended a lecture by him and also attended a bookstore event.  I met him both times.  Once, I brought him Forums of Heaven, his book of one act plays, to sign (my dog chewed this up as a puppy.)  He asked me "Oh- you brought the plays?" with a big smile and I was dumbfounded.  I can't even remember my reply, but I know it was something lame lol  That was long ago, like when Galilee came out.  I remember he did a signing after the lecture and this guy brought in a HUGE framed copy of the Imagica cover for him to sign.  So cool.

Edited to add this was the image of the Imagica cover

https://www.google.com/search?q=clive+barker+imajica&hl=en&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS541US541&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KRvnUsaVK5GEogS7nIGAAw&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=965&bih=460#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=4gsxwtHl5ovlpM%253A%3BrdM47SbHxtp0IM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.tumblr.com%252F7312bcb5bce8b6978d44807918ae428e%252Ftumblr_inline_mlbq8iwSzx1qz4rgp.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fjoshboonemovies.tumblr.com%252Fpost%252F48086900096%252Fsince-stuck-in-love-is-about-writers-and-im%3B400%3B440

Edited by Anna Begins

• 4 weeks later...

As a great horror fan I have always been intrigued by Clive Barker yet never managed to read any of his books....however soon to be put right as I have ordered Books of Blood vol 1-3 as it is always highly recommended :smile: