Mistress Masham's Repose by T H White

Janet

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love most fish, but I don’t think I’ve ever tried herrings (apart from once accidentally trying soused herring, not realising ‘soused’ meant they would be in vinegar – yuk) - and I’ve never tried bloaters!

Soused herring, that sounds really horrid. I got goosepumps thinking about it :D

I haven’t read Bridge to Terabithia. Did you see the film? I wonder how it compares to the book?. I saw the trailer for it when it came out and thought it looked quite exciting, but have never got round to watching it.

Tom’s Midnight Garden is great – you must try to get hold of it!

I haven't seen the film so I can't say how it compares to the book. I'm so lazy with movies, I hardly ever watch any :blush:

I've had TMG on my wishlist for ages but I just always, always forget about it =D Poor book! I should make a poster of the title. That would remind me.

That word 'Quincunx' is following me around again .. it's just turned up in the book VF sent to me .. The Blue World by Jack Vance. I'm getting seriously freaked now ... how come I haven't noticed it before .. it's everywhere

Spooky :D You know... things happen in threes, or how does the phrase go? Well, since it's 'quincunx', you'll come across it five times, so you better get used to it :giggle:

I wrote somewhere that the more I think about the book the fonder I am of it, I think only frankie and me feel that way about it. This book in particular has made for a really interesting circle .. all sorts of varied opinions and viewpoints. Thanks Janet

I think you wrote that in my reading log, when I commented on my review that I'm getting fonder and fonder of the book the more I talk about it and might not want to give up my copy after all. I've had a lot of fun reading other people's opinions, especially when they have been so mixed and when people dislike my favorite characters. Controversy is good!

' Who was your favourite character...?

My favourite was The Professor, I really liked him character and although he was a bit here and there I found him quite loveable.

He was a real sweetheart, wasn't he :smile2:

I have never read any Pratchett. I tried one once but I just couldn’t get into it.

Which one was it? I've only read a few, but I really enjoyed Feet of Clay. I didn't like Going Postal, though, for example. It might be a case of you having stumbled upon one of his 'lesser' novels. But I'm no expert on Pratchett, having only read a few. However, I do suggest you give him another go at some point, if you please :)

You, Frankie and Laura. It has been a very varied circle which I’m pleased about. I was a bit nervous of hosting one!

You needn't have been, you've done a great job! But I do remember being nervous myself the first time round, so it's very understandable.

I made kipper paté when I was about 13 years old. My Dad was really funny about it and couldn’t bring himself to try it! Mum and I loved it though!

Kipper paté, that sounds absolutely mischievous and ... perky? :D I have to google it.

Although I can see why White used that effect, and whilst it didn't particularly bother me, I can see why you would find it irritating, Laura.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book. :)

I'm not sure why it bothers me, but I've always had trouble reading in capitals. I really enjoyed this book :)

thanks for a great reading circle :)