Secret agent/spy books

Hello there

I'm looking for books about Secret Agents/Spy etc. I've read some books from frederick forsyth, andy mcnab, david Baldacci and john grisham really liked Cobra, Avanger and the broker.

So basically a book that involves any kinda of Intelligence agency, world wide traveling, terrorism and political conspiracies.

ps: Sorry for the bad english

You could try Len Deighton - his Game, Set and Match trilogy is excellent, although maybe a little dated now

I was going to suggest Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Spy or Berlin Game, but also thought that they were great books. Billion Dollar Brain is also good, but being focused on a computer it is very dated, but nonetheless interesting, especially I imagine if one likes the history of computers.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this books qualifies as a secret agent/spy book. But there's lots of politics, espionage, secrets, plot twists, amazingly interesting characters. The book has won several awards and at this point I would say the entire world has heard of it and now its a movie. If you haven't read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy you absolutely should. I hate books about politics and financial journalism but this book became one of my favorites right at page 100 and kept my going non stop through all 3 of the novels. Fantastic read! :D

• 4 months later...

You can't go wrong with James Hadley Chase - almost all his books have something to do with crime, secrets, and espionage.

A good starting point and his books featuring ex-CIA Mark Girland :

This Is for Real

You Have Yourself a Deal

Have This One on Me

The Whiff of Money

And also almost everything by Alistair MacLean - war stories, with spies, action and some thrilling adventures thrown in.

Where Eagles Dare and Guns of Navarone are particularly brilliant.

There is also the "John Rain" series by Barry Eisler. Begins with Rain Fall, then Hard Rain. There are some more, but I've only read those so far. Pretty good.

John Rain seried on Amazon

I haven't read many of the Lee Child, Jack Reacher series, and only a few of Clancy's Jack Ryan series. However I'll say this much. I don't think that aside from being a strong male protagonist that can raise all sorts of cain, experts in causing mayham there is a lot of similarity. Reacher seems to work on a more personal level helping indivduals get out of bad situations and Ryan is on a more international level with political overtones. Just my impressions. They both have lots of action though. Hope that helps a little.

Oh, regarding the Bond series. I loved them years ago, and still love the films. However I find that the books are now dated a bit. If that doesn't bother you, go ahead and enjoy!

Edited by pontalba

• 3 weeks later...

The best spy novels are a few decades old now, so they're all bound to be dated. But then I suppose Shakespeare is dated.

John Le Carre, Eric Ambler, Graham Greene, Len Deighton are all high quality, as are Somerset Maugham's Ashenden stories. Though if you're looking for thrills and spills, Maugham is not your man. His work is very character-based.

I wouldn't class Ian Fleming's novels as spy novels: they're too far removed from reality to count as that. But as stylish action thrillers, if you can get past his worst excesses, they can keep you reading.