Suggestions for the Doorstep Challenge

Nici

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the book i'm reading is 664 pages.

i wish it'd hurry up as i'm anxious to read the monthly book before the month is out.

(and that's the second time it's happened to me on here! *pout* )

Not to worry - there's no time limit on commenting on the reading circle books. :blush:

I aim to start Jonathan Strange on Saturday (have to start again since it's been a year since I last picked it up!!).. hurrah for the online support service; thanks Kell!! :blush:

Oh you are in for a treat, Jane! My tip when (re)starting it is to bear with the first few chapters (I remember feeling like "is this worth the slog?"). But it really is BRILLIANT - I'm really looking forward to reading it again.

One of my all time favorites!

Is this the first time reading it?

*whisper* Pontalba, I don't think I read this right ....thought we were supposed to be making recommendations for long books, I'm not actually reading it at the moment (but quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn). I've probably read it at least three times. It's luvvverly :blush:

*whisper* Pontalba, I don't think I read this right ....thought we were supposed to be making recommendations for long books, I'm not actually reading it at the moment (but quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn). I've probably read it at least three times. It's luvvverly :blush:

I think I may have to read this, I loved the movie and yet I've never tried the book:blush:

• 3 weeks later...

The new Harry Potter books is 608 pages according to amazon.

Diana Gabbaldon outlander series i am sure all books are over 500 pages.

Jean Auel Earth children series - Again i am such all books are over 500 pages.

If youlike Historical books - Elizabeth George books

Helen of Troy

The Autobiography of Henry VIII

The memoirs of Cleopatra

I, Elizabeth - Rosalind Miles

Magician - Raymond E. Feist

• 3 months later...

Jean Auel Earth children series - Again i am such all books are over 500 pages.

Loooove that series. The first two books especially. The last book was a bit "eh", but I'm hoping the final book will make up for it by tying up all those loose ends...and hopefully it comes out soon! She's been writing that series almost her whole life apparently. :0

I recommend House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, a 709 pager. There are a few chapters that drag, but I found myself unable to put it down for the sheer brilliance of the way the text is laid out (and slowly falls apart) as the novel progresses. It's like you can read the author going mad as you get near the end, it's incredibly intriguing.

Lion's Blood by Steven Barnes is also a highly recommended chunker. I inhaled this book when I first got my hands on it back in high school. This novel is more in the sub-genre of historic fantasy as it is set in alternate-universe colonial America where Africans inherited the New World and Irish slaves are imported. It really is a compelling, thought-provoking piece of literature and one of my all-time favorite books.

I guess my book counts as part of both the classics challenge and the chunky challenge! I started The Pickwick Papers today, which is 719 pages long! here goes nothing! :lol: :lol:

I recommend House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, a 709 pager. There are a few chapters that drag, but I found myself unable to put it down for the sheer brilliance of the way the text is laid out (and slowly falls apart) as the novel progresses. It's like you can read the author going mad as you get near the end, it's incredibly intriguing.

I've got this one at home, but just couldn't get through it. :lol: I picked it up, simply because of the text layout, and thought it would be a great read. However, it just got too confusing for me, trying to follow all the different bits of the book (how a notation [i think that's the right word - but I've gone blank!!] would go on for a few pages, and then I'd have to flip back to pick up the main thread of the story. It definitely is an ambitious 'project' by the author though, and I certainly admire the effort that must have gone into the book.

I've got this one at home, but just couldn't get through it. :lol: I picked it up, simply because of the text layout, and thought it would be a great read. However, it just got too confusing for me, trying to follow all the different bits of the book (how a notation [i think that's the right word - but I've gone blank!!] would go on for a few pages, and then I'd have to flip back to pick up the main thread of the story. It definitely is an ambitious 'project' by the author though, and I certainly admire the effort that must have gone into the book.

Yeah, I had a hard time getting through the first portion of the book myself. A few of those chapters he would just ramble on and on about random topics that had nothing to do with anything and it got annoying. And I know exactly what you mean about trying to navigate the book--sometimes it's almost like a maze! x_x But the last half of the book (if you can muscle your way through it to that point) is so interesting and creepy and fun to read because of the layout (the reading also goes faster because he starts spacing out the words a LOT. Sometimes only one to a page) that by the end of it you're sitting there going "woah" and eyeing all of the shadows in your house with mistrust for about a week. If you ever get some time, I think it'd be worth another try, but that's just me. :lol:

• 5 months later...