The Grail Quest - Bernard Cornwell

Timstar

I recently finished the grail quest trilogy, (Harlequin, Vagabond and Heretic) by Bernard Cornwell, thought they were amazing!

I am a big fan but new fan of Cornwell's and this was my first deviation from Sharpe. I love his ability to describe battles and historical events.

Thomas of Hookton is such a great character and he really brings the archers to life. I thoroughly recommend it to any historical fiction fans!

These are definitey on my list, nice to hear they're up to scratch! I'm only a recent Cornwell convert - I read his Arthurian 'Warlord Trilogy' before Christmas and they were stonkingly good, can't recommend them enough (I reviewed them here: http://www.bookclubf...post__p__279360 ) - so shall be working my way through the others eventually.

:smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I loved the Grail Quest series. I had tried the Sharpe books a longtime ago and although I was very interested in that period of history I couldn't get into them. I was hooked by Harlequin from almost the first page. I can recommend Azincourt too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of Bernard Cornwall's historic fiction. I absolutel love his 'Saxon Stories' series. Follows the life of a Saxon born boy who is raised by the Vikings and then throughout his life fights on both side of the ongoing conflict.

Another series I would recommend is Manda Scott's Boudica books. The first is called 'Dreaming the Eagle'. Tells the legend of Boudica from a personal persective and does a brilliant job of it!

Another series I would recommend is Manda Scott's Boudica books. The first is called 'Dreaming the Eagle'. Tells the legend of Boudica from a personal persective and does a brilliant job of it!

Ooh, interesting <<heads off to look for it>> :smile:

• 5 months later...