The Painted Man - Peter V. Brett

Amesy

The Demon Trilogy, Book 1, The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett. (The Warded Man to those of you over the pond)

Synopsis:

The Painted Man, book one of the Demon trilogy, is a captivating and thrilling fantasy adventure, pulling the reader into a world of demons, darkness and heroes. Voted one of the top ten fantasy novels of 2008 by amazon.co.uk. Mankind has ceded the night to the corelings: demons that rise up out of the ground each day at dusk, killing and destroying at will until dawn, when the sun banishes them back to the Core. As darkness falls, the world's few surviving humans hide behind magical wards, praying that the magic will see them through another night. As years passed, the distance between each tiny village stretched farther and farther. It seems that nothing can stop or harm the corelings, and nothing can unite the dwindling populations. Born into these isolated hamlets are three children: A Messenger teaches 10-year-old Arlen that it is fear, rather than the demons, which has crippled humanity. When she is only 13 summers old, Leesha's perfect life is destroyed by a simple lie, and she is reduced to gathering herbs for an old woman more fearsome than the demons at night. And young Rojer's life is changed irrevocably when a travelling minstrel comes to his town and plays his fiddle. But these three children all have something in common. They are all stubborn, and know that there is more to the world than what they've been told, if only they can risk leaving their safe wards to find it.

My Review:

My Aunt suggested this book to me on Boxing day, telling me that my cousin, who does not find interest in reading, read the first page and was out buying the sequel just 2 weeks later. I've been completely unable to put this book down. The characters are exceptionally well drawn and very believable, the plot line is fresh and original and the action scenes were so intense, I found myself having to stop to make a cuppa to calm down at several points. A thoroughly riveting read that I highly recommend to anyone who likes the fantasy genre and recommend even more to those wanting to break into the genre. As for me I am now starting Book 2 of the, as of yet, unfinished Demon Trilogy and will hopefully have another review shortly.

Edited by Amesy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

These books have been discussed more in individual reading lists/blogs.

From Wiki: 

Demon Cycle

• Novel Quintet:
    • The Painted Man (2008) (US title The Warded Man; 2009)(FR title L'Homme-Rune; 2009)
    • The Desert Spear (March 27, 2010, Del Rey)(FR title La Lance du désert; 2010)
    • The Daylight War (February 12, 2013)[7]
    • The Skull Throne (Forthcoming, working title subject to change)
    • The Core (Forthcoming, working title subject to change)

• 2 months later...