The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

aromaannie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Isabel Dalhousie and Bertie books.  I tried to read the No. 1 Ladies Detectives a couple of years ago, but couldn't get into it.  I might try it again, as maybe it was just the wrong time for me to read it. 

For me it is the opposite! I really enjoyed the series with Precious Ramotswe, while I was completely disappointed by the first book with Isabel Dalhousie. Soon or later I will give them a second chance ;-)

• 2 months later...

I have read about 3 of the Ladies Detective Agency. A good-ish light read, however hearing them on the radio the other day just rammed home the main thing that annoyed me about them ; the sheer repetitiveness of the prose. The main characters say the same thing over and over again, the author can fill half the page sometimes with banal chat in the office[in fact more than half a page.]This is why, he can churn out so many of these books.Now I will go and make us a nice hot cup of red bush tea. :sarcastic:

• 2 years later...

Apologies for dragging up an old topic, I have recently read the first one in this series, after watching the tv series and loved both! The rest of the series is on my to read list... I am constantly looking for the series...

It's okay to post in here :). It's better to post in an existing topic on the subject than to make a new one, and we can always talk about books!

I have this series on my TBR, but I haven't read it yet.

Apologies for dragging up an old topic,

We love seeing new members bump up old topics for discussion! Feel free to do it more often. :)

I watched most of the episodes and really enjoyed it, but I stopped reading the series at some point and gave the books away. They were lovely, light reads, but they were a bit samey, and I figured I should spend my time reading other books. :)