The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

aromaannie

At the risk of being flamed, I find the series all a bit lacking in any substance. They are easy reads & all that, but for me any way, that's about it.

I agree but it's nice to have an easy read every now & then. I look out for them in charity shops as I don't enjoy them enough to pay full price

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are light and easy reads but I found their simplicity very refreshing in the context of the busy and complicated lives we often lead. The Ladies' Detective Agency series are wonderful at getting the reader back in touch with what's important in life - a bit like The Little House on the Prairie series which I loved as a child. Oh dear I'm starting to get profound!:lol:

I am about halfway through this book, the first of a series.

Ever have one of those experiences where a book title keeps popping up in your life? I first noticed the title here in the forum (now where is that thread about if titles sell books?) and since then I seemed to see this title everywhere.

Finally I just had to buy it and give it a go.

I like the slow pace of the book, it seems to reflect the long hot days in Botswana. The cases that Precious solves are not always what one expected to result to be - so I like the surprises too.

It was those gorgeous covers that initially caught my eye.

I totally agree. Beautiful cover, well designed.

I enjoyed the book!

It seems my recent reading has had an international flair with The No. 1 Ladie's Detective Agency in Botswana, Bangkok 8 in Thailand, The Kite Runner in Afghanistan, Zorro in Spain and Bless Me, Ultima on the US/Mexico border. Mebbe I should've joined the Olympic Challenge!

It seems my recent reading has had an international flair with The No. 1 Ladie's Detective Agency in Botswana, Bangkok 8 in Thailand, The Kite Runner in Afghanistan, Zorro in Spain and Bless Me, Ultima on the US/Mexico border. Mebbe I should've joined the Olympic Challenge!

Yes I keep contemplating that. I love reading about different countries and it's encouraged me to find out about their histories.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
I think his books are very amusing. They can make me laugh on a bad day.

Ratna, I'm with you on this!

And>>>

Have they already aired the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency movie in Great Britain? If so, I will try to track it down here in the States.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I have just started 'Friends, Lovers, Chocolate' by this same author. These ones are based in Edinburgh, Scotland.....so far I am enjoying it. I also know places, areas they are talking about in the book too which I like.

That's one of the Isabel Dalhousie series, Diane, and my favourite series of his. I've ended up nearly always buying them in hardback as soon as they come out, as I can't wait for either the paperback or even the library reservation to come through!

Yes it is Isabel....I'm just getting into it now...she is looking after her neice's delicatesen while she is away to a wedding in Italy. Not much has happened yet, but am loving it.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Friends Lovers Chocolate.Isabel the philosopher meets Ian the heart rransplant patient and he tells her he is experiencing meories which he thinks is related to the new heart! So the story begins as she digs deep to find out where his new heart came from and possibly jumps to the wrong conclusion to quickly.

One thing I did love was the cover of the book, one of the reasons I was attracted to it I think. I love the art work Alexander McCall Smith finds for his covers. But disappointed there wasn't as much reference to 'chocolate' as the title would lead you to believe....lol.

• 8 months later...

My dad's not much of a reader but he loves Alexander McCall Smith. I wanted to find something similar for presents - does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know of anything similar - but there are many books and series he's written.

You could probably pick some of the unread ones?

Edited by bree

My boyfriends' mum really likes these books. I saw two of them for cheap on a book fair and have since started to collect them (recently buying some in a sale). I haven't actually read any of them yet (I prefer to read a series in order, though I have the first one so I could read that one). I look forward to reading them, they generally get pretty good reviews and it may be a great combination of mystery, detective and contemporary fiction that I'll really like. I don't really read many thrillers anymore but detectives I still enjoy, and these books look to have great character development too (I accidentally read the back of I think part three and six or something, and it spoiled something for me), so all in all it sounds pretty good. I also own a few books of his other series (also picked up on a sale or book fair), I don't know if they're good or not though they seem to have favourable reviews.

• 2 months later...

Have just bought 7 of the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency books - excusing myself such foolishness, as they were only £2 each in a charity shop, and in great condition  :smile:

I've already read all this wonderful series, but they call me back again and again, and never get "old".  

The humour, the respect the characters show each other, ,and the pure love of life shines though each one. Sometimes I even shed an emotional  tear or two ... 

It's the cheapest little holiday I can take, and I love the DVD's too.  

I love the Isabel Dalhousie and Bertie books.  I tried to read the No. 1 Ladies Detectives a couple of years ago, but couldn't get into it.  I might try it again, as maybe it was just the wrong time for me to read it. 

I've probably said this before on this thread somewhere, but I'm the same, bookmonkey.  I did read the first five of the No. 1 Ladies series, but I lost interest, but the Isabel Dalhousie and Bertie books are firm favourites with me.