The Fifth Witness - Michael Connelly

ian

"In tough times, crime is one of the few things that still pays, but even criminals are having to make cutbacks. So, for defence lawyer Mickey Haller, most of his new business is not about keeping people out of jail; it's about keeping a roof over their heads as the foreclosure business is booming.

Lisa Trammel has been a client of Mickey's for eight months, and so far he's stopped the bank from taking her house. But now the bank's CEO has been found beaten to death - and Lisa is about to be indicted for murder...."

My review.

I've read a number of Michael Connelly books in the past, but only one in this series (The Lincoln Lawyer) before. I didn't feel that I was disadvantaged by not having read the whole series to date. What I like about the writing here is that everything isn't black and white. Even the protaganist, Mickey Haller, isn't painted as a whiter than white defender of justice: he isn't above cutting a few corners or palying a few dirty tricks in court to get his verdict. The same goes for the accused, who is fairly unlikeable, but as the case progresses, you come to think she is innocent. Despite most of the book being taken up with the trial, there is still plenty of page turning action as well as well observed details of court procedure - I was hooked from the first page. The characters are believable because they all exist in grey areas.

If you've read any MC before then get this, as you will like it. If you haven't, still get it, as it's a good introduction

4/5

Thanks for the review, ian, I have this book waiting to be read and you have made me look forward to it! I have read a lot of the Harry Bosch books, and a couple of the Lincoln Lawyer books too, and do enjoy Michael Connelly's writing :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what it was about this book, but it was the first Mickey Haller book I didnt enjoy. I like Michael Connelly, but sometimes I find his books hard to get into, I know though it is worth the perseverance because I DO get hooked, but this one, I don't know, I could have taken or left it. Won't stop me buying the next one though. I agree with Harry Bosch being his bread and butter though.

I don't know what it was about this book, but it was the first Mickey Haller book I didnt enjoy. I like Michael Connelly, but sometimes I find his books hard to get into, I know though it is worth the perseverance because I DO get hooked, but this one, I don't know, I could have taken or left it. Won't stop me buying the next one though. I agree with Harry Bosch being his bread and butter though.

I do understand what you mean, Kirsty. I struggled with The Lincoln Lawyer at the time. I think it's the charactor of Mickey Haller himself. He isn't very likeable ( especially in TLL) which makes it very hard to have any sympathy for anything that happens to him. Having said that I personally found this book more approachable.