New food you've tried recently...

Maureen

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blue viened cheese. My mother used to buy them and I hated the taste, but now appreciate it. I've plucked up the courage to be inventive, by using it in cream sauce instead of the usual cheddar. Delicious.

Batty

Yes, Gorgonzola or Dolcettate make fantastic sauces...

Yes, blue veined cheese for me too. I couldn't stand it up until recently .. now I love it.

Something I tried (well, made recently) were two things that I've had before but never together and that was chocolate cake made with butternut squash ... I thought, that's never going to work in a month of Sunday's .. but it did and it was delicious.

Yes, Gorgonzola or Dolcettate make fantastic sauces...

Gorganzola is a bit whiffy. I've had a nibble of dolcelatte and it started out okay creamy and savoury but that mouldy taste crept up in the end.

I've had Bison pat

I'm feeling like I need to try somethiing new today so I'm going to try and talk one of my friends into going to the one and only Indian restaurant in town tonight. Never having tried any form of Indian food I'm sure it will be an experience!

Exciting, Cali! I went out for Indian on Friday and had some of my favorites - veggie Samosas, Tikki, Paneer and chicken Pakora, yum! My friends always get the chicken Korma so I know that's good, and if you like mango, get a mango lassi drink. They taste really good with spicy food. Oh and you can't forget the naan bread!

I had Chapli kebab for the first time when I went there on Friday, and it was very good. It reminded me of the Lebanese kibbi, made with ground beef and onions, except it didn't have bulgur wheat and had different spices. Very tasty for dipping in yogurt sauce though!

Korma is gorgeous, very mild and creamy. Naan bread is a lovely flat bread that is wonderful for soaking up juices and sauces.

Plain naan bread is lovely, although you can get different versions, some with minced meat inside (keema naan), or nuts and raisins (Peshwari naan).

Most good restaurants are only too happy to offer suggestions, they want you to enjoy your food and return anther time, so ask away. I'm really excited for you ~ good indian food is great, so you should have a good time. :D

For the past 15 or so years, I haven't eaten red meat or poultry but recently I decided to try it again, wondering how I'd find it. Apart from bacon, I didn't like anything at all.....chicken, beef, lamb, sausage, hamburger.......yack!

So here's to the next 15 years! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently joined weightwatchers for the second time and have discovered a few new recipes. The latest one which I'm hooked on is a smoked salmon creation which is lovely.

Smoked salmon, mushroom, aubergine, spinach leaves, pine nuts and low fat spready cheese. Basically, add them to a frying pan with a few squirts of One Cal spray oil and you're left with a small portion of heaven! :blush:

Jacobs savours sweet chilli thin crackers are so yummy. I tried them for the first time the other day and oh my, I could eat them all if I could, but I won't, i'll savour them as the packet says, with cheese or on its own :D Mind you i'm a fan of anything with sweet chilli in.

As we have ran out of soft cheese to put on the crackers I put some fat free bio yoghurt on a hob nob - ooo tasty! Like a mini cheese cake - yum!

• 5 months later...

I went to visit my brother in Italy a couple of weeks ago and he taught me how to make polpetta. They are meatballs with ham, onions, parmesan, mozarella, egg and flour mixed in to them in a tomato sauce with linguini pasta. I made it last weekend and although it tastes great, it is very rich.

I was also watching river cottage on thursday. And he made what he called polpetti. But they were just nibbles. Like dough balls with bacon and something else in them. I think polpetti is the italian word for nibbles or "bites". Very confusing.

• 2 months later...

I tried Sausages with Apple yesterday.

Absolutely delicious! Just chunky sausages with a gentle, sweet apple flavour to the juices. Absolutely loved them.

Anybody else had them? I seem to be getting a lot of weird looks when I mention them!

I tried Sausages with Apple yesterday.

Absolutely delicious! Just chunky sausages with a gentle, sweet apple flavour to the juices. Absolutely loved them.

Anybody else had them? I seem to be getting a lot of weird looks when I mention them!

I think we've had them from the farmers market before & they were very nice we've also had sausages with red onion marmalade which were yummy.

Love them Noll! :D

We buy sausages occasionally from a company called Giggly Pig, and they do a whole range of sausages, my current favourites are chestnut ones.

Bet that pig wouldn't be giggling if it knew it was going to be made into sausages :wink: