#661 Raven

Raven

Peace & Love

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts
  • Reading now?:Guards! Guards! By Terry Pratchett

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:40 PM

I saw this post on imgur and thought I'd share. It's a post about all the different Harry Potter book covers. There are some real beauties in there!

http://imgur.com/gallery/JCqvc

I think the current UK children's covers by Jonny Duddle are the best ones, excellent illustrations.

Edited by Raven, 30 June 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#662 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:34 PM

I saw this post on imgur and thought I'd share. It's a post about all the different Harry Potter book covers. There are some real beauties in there! 

http://imgur.com/gallery/JCqvc

Wow, some of those are really beautiful!

#663 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,044 posts
  • Reading now?:Grunt - Mary Roach

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:37 PM

I like the simplicity of the Original Edition by Christian Peterson. I also like the Russian Edition.

Interesting that the German Children's Edition spells out her first name: Joanne K Rowling. That threw me when I saw it...I've never thought of her having a first name. :lol:

#664 woolf woolf

woolf woolf

Mega Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

I like the chinese, japanese and recent british versions. I don't understand the need for adult and minimalist covers.

#665 Tiger

Tiger

Totally Wild

• Advanced Member
  • 1,064 posts
  • Reading now?:Lots and lots of books!
  • LocationDover/Plymouth, UK

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:43 PM

I'm a Potter!

#666 Tiger

Tiger

Totally Wild

• Advanced Member
  • 1,064 posts
  • Reading now?:Lots and lots of books!
  • LocationDover/Plymouth, UK

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:44 PM

Some of the art covers on that article are beautiful, too! :D

#667 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:28 AM

I'm quite fond of the editions I have (UK Bloomsbury), but I love the last three sets in that link (especially Corley). The minimalist look is great! :)

#668 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:32 PM

I'm a Weasely!

#669 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

I think the current UK children's covers by Jonny Duddle are the best ones, excellent illustrations.

Yeah, those are pretty cool! 

I like the simplicity of the Original Edition by Christian Peterson. I also like the Russian Edition.

Interesting that the German Children's Edition spells out her first name: Joanne K Rowling. That threw me when I saw it...I've never thought of her having a first name. :lol:

I also like the Peterson editions for the same reason :yes: And yes, the Russian editions area really cool :o Very very dark. Adult stuff, I would say. 

I'm quite fond of the editions I have (UK Bloomsbury), but I love the last three sets in that link (especially Corley). The minimalist look is great! :)

There are more editions after those, you just have to click on the link :) They only allow 10 pictures on imgur, if you have more you'll have to click the link to see the rest :) 

I couldn't choose a favorite if I had to. I like some of the covers by Kazu Kibuishi (but not all!), and I am rather fond of the original UK Bloomsbury children's editions. The Jonny Duddle versions are really cool. Ooooh and the original UK Bloomsbury adult editions. I also like the M. S. Corley, Christian Peterson and Risa Rodil editions, even though (or because) they are so simple. 

I also like the original Dutch versions... I'm somewhat partial to the Finnish editions, but only because that's with what I started and I'm used to them. If I wasn't used to them, I'd probably think they are the worst ones out there :blush: Well, I don't like the French or German editions either. Although I do love the German Adult edition :D 

#670 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:20 AM

There are more editions after those, you just have to click on the link :) They only allow 10 pictures on imgur, if you have more you'll have to click the link to see the rest :) 

I couldn't choose a favorite if I had to. I like some of the covers by Kazu Kibuishi (but not all!), and I am rather fond of the original UK Bloomsbury children's editions. The Jonny Duddle versions are really cool. Ooooh and the original UK Bloomsbury adult editions. I also like the M. S. Corley, Christian Peterson and Risa Rodil editions, even though (or because) they are so simple. 

I also like the original Dutch versions... I'm somewhat partial to the Finnish editions, but only because that's with what I started and I'm used to them. If I wasn't used to them, I'd probably think they are the worst ones out there :blush: Well, I don't like the French or German editions either. Although I do love the German Adult edition :D

Ah I didn't know that, thanks!

I have a couple of those original Dutch editions, but my sister kind of took them as she loved the books more than I did, at the time. I bought the first four and she bought the next two, then she couldn't wait anymore so she owns the last one in English instead. I've no idea where they are, but I think she has the whole series in the attic somewhere. It's okay though, I have the English versions and I know how much the series means to her :). They are pretty covers though, nice to hear you like them too :).

The Finnish ones do have their appeal though I wouldn't call them the prettiest out there (but then.. I couldn't just pick one prettiest.).

#671 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:17 PM

Well duh, I knew that! :lurker:    :ontome:

The Finnish ones are nice, but I keep getting distracted by their large snozzes. :D

I think all of the covers have good and part points. The only ones I particularly dislike are the Bloomsbury Adult Editions (2013). The colours are too bright for my liking, and the text is too large, and the pictures are too difficult to make out in the background.

After looking at them all again (including the extra ones that I always knew were there  :ontome:), my favourites are still the minimalist covers I mentioned earlier.

I think my absolute favourites are the original MS Corley books. I like the retro look of the text at the top of the cover. It makes me think of old Penguin books. But I rather wish 'and' wasn't capitalised in each heading. My other favourite is the Risa Rodil edition. She(?) doesn't capitalise 'and'. ;)

#672 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

Well duh, I knew that! :lurker:    :ontome:

I'm sure you did! :lol: You were just lazy. :giggle:

The Finnish ones are nice, but I keep getting distracted by their large snozzes. :D

That (or those!) is the exact reason why I dislike them passionately :D Although as I said before, I'm very much used to them because those are for me the 'original'. I didn't see the English originals till years later.

I think all of the covers have good and part points. The only ones I particularly dislike are the Bloomsbury Adult Editions (2013). The colours are too bright for my liking, and the text is too large, and the pictures are too difficult to make out in the background.

I agree on all the points you made about the Bloomsbury Adult Editions. They also make me think of Jeffery Deaver's paperbacks. And don't get me wrong, I love his novels, but it's not a good thing that the HP books would remind me of a whole other genre, author and books series.

I think my absolute favourites are the original MS Corley books. I like the retro look of the text at the top of the cover. It makes me think of old Penguin books. But I rather wish 'and' wasn't capitalised in each heading. My other favourite is the Risa Rodil edition. She(?) doesn't capitalise 'and'. ;)

:lol:  That's reason enough! :giggle:

Edit: Just googled her. She's 21 years old!!!! :o 

Edited by frankie, 08 July 2015 - 02:54 PM.

#673 hazel.grace667

hazel.grace667

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:56 AM

Harry Potter is the Great creation by J. K. Rowling.

#674 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

I found something else re: Harry Potter on Imgur :smile2: 

#675 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:42 PM

Heh. The pictures are funny, and the serious comments correcting the mistakes are even funnier. :)

#676 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:48 PM

Heh. The pictures are funny, and the serious comments correcting the mistakes are even funnier. :)

I thought it was funny how 'reality sets in' :D Great ideas! :smile2: 

#677 Raven

Raven

Peace & Love

• Advanced Member
  • 4,239 posts
  • Reading now?:Guards! Guards! By Terry Pratchett

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:51 PM

Its erecto duh

Yeah, 'cause that was in the books . . .

#678 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,058 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

Hahaha those are hilarious!

#679 Booknutt

Booknutt

Settling In

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Reading now?:A Court Affair by Emily Purdy. Loving it despite the lurid green dress on the cover!
  • LocationCheshire, U.K.

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:18 PM

I've just bought the whole series (again! I've gotta stop doing regular clear-outs of my books) in paperback and all in the "YA" versions, frankly only for economys sake. So Ive got a mixture of different covers, which is fun!

It does annoy me though how, even though the readers are supposed to "grow up "with the characters, actual sets themselves are either cartoonish or more staid, which is the "adult"version.

Why has no one chosen to illustrate the covers starting off younger when Harry is 11, and matureing as each subsequent book completes the story.?

Too much like common sense, maybe - ?

Enjoy, everyone, no matter which versions you read!

#680 Plodit

Plodit

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Reading now?:Edward Marston Railway Detective Stories
  • LocationLeicester

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:10 AM

Great author, Even i would like to start reading Harry potter books series..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users