• Please log in to reply
679 replies to this topic

#41 Rawr

Rawr

\__o_O__/

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • Reading now?:Through The Looking Glass, And What Alice Found There / The City And The City
  • Locationx Castle Discordia

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:21 AM

God that epilogue, i hated it so much!

#42 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,058 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

So you are about twenty pages in then?! :lol:

Yup. Well, I was only testing it out. I knew I couldn't really get into it til my review books are done.

#43 Nicola

Nicola

Here, there & neverwhere

• Advanced Member
  • 1,591 posts
  • Reading now?:Prince Lestat by Anne Rice
  • LocationNewcastle-upon-Tyne

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

Yeah.....that epilogue was a bit embarrassing :lol: It was the names of those kids that did it.

But apart from that I really enjoyed it! I don't know how many times I've read them all now and with the new movie coming out soon I'm tempted to read them again. It's really good to read them all again knowing the final outcome.

Edited by Nicola, 21 March 2009 - 08:15 PM.
Spoiler

#44 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,058 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

I need to stop reading this thread lol, I'm seeing spoilers all over the place coz they're not tagged.

#45 Karen1

Karen1

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 907 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

God that epilogue, i hated it so much!

I liked it. I admit that there was a lot of information missing and a lot of unanswered questions but I still liked it!

#46 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,460 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

I need to stop reading this thread lol, I'm seeing spoilers all over the place coz they're not tagged.

Yep - people, can you please be considerate to others who haven't yet read the books.

#47 Nicola

Nicola

Here, there & neverwhere

• Advanced Member
  • 1,591 posts
  • Reading now?:Prince Lestat by Anne Rice
  • LocationNewcastle-upon-Tyne

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

Sorry!!! That's me!!

#48 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,058 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

Ah it's as much my own fault - it was reading people's opinions on the books that made me decide to read them, so I can't help reading the general comments people make - what books are good/bad/drawn out/most exciting/whatever. Makes me more inclined to continue reading them.

#49 Raven

Raven

Peace & Love

• Advanced Member
  • 4,239 posts
  • Reading now?:Guards! Guards! By Terry Pratchett

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

Yep - people, can you please be considerate to others who haven't yet read the books.

To be fair though, the books have been out for a few years now, and anyone reading this thread should expect to see some discussion that will contain spoilers.

#50 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,058 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:55 AM

Well I did say that it's partially my own fault, but it doesn't really matter how long the books have been out - the spoiler tags are there to be used. And it's general forum policy that unless it's a dedicated reading circle thread, then the tags are generally meant to be put to use. I frequent the Twilight thread, and the majority of the female world has read those, but I still use (and encourage others to use) spoiler tags. Although I find that the girls and I who post there a lot never actually post untagged spoilers anyway.

#51 Chimera

Chimera

Book Backpacker

• Advanced Member
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:11 AM

Well I did say that it's partially my own fault, but it doesn't really matter how long the books have been out - the spoiler tags are there to be used. And it's general forum policy that unless it's a dedicated reading circle thread, then the tags are generally meant to be put to use. I frequent the Twilight thread, and the majority of the female world has read those, but I still use (and encourage others to use) spoiler tags. Although I find that the girls and I who post there a lot never actually post untagged spoilers anyway.

I agree... Just because so many people have already read the HP books doesn't mean we shouldn't apply the same caution as with other books. The discussions are also there to help others decide wether or not they want to read particular books. If we dont use spoiler tags then they wont be able to enter the threads.

#52 lexiepiper

lexiepiper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,227 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:13 AM

It only takes a second to spoiler cover the text, it's not really a big problem, but I think some people aren't sure what could be considered a spoiler, as for someone like Roxi who's never read them, anything could technically be a spoiler. You just have to be mindful about what you're posting really, and most of us do manage to do it.

#53 Binary_Digit

Binary_Digit

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:33 AM

For the longest time I resisted reading the Harry Potter series. It was so trendy and popular that I figured it must be awful. I can't remember what the catalyst was, but at some point (between the publishing of books 5 and 6) I finally broke down and started reading the series.

Despite my obstinance, I was rewarded was a light, easy and enjoyable read. Since then I've reread the series a few times, and every time I am quickly drawn into the world of this lovable young man.

Perhaps I am a bit of a low-brow reader, but I don't feel, as many of you do, that the final books of the series were lacking. From start to finish, I would highly recommend this series to anyone who, like me, has been too stubborn to follow the trend.

#54 Mirian

Mirian

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

I've reread the series a few times and I always seem to spot a new hint early that J.K.Rowling leaves. I agree with Binary Digit about the final books.

Can recommend the series to anyone, unless magic in books really annoys you. The characters are well written, the books are easy to read and the story is good.

#55 BookJumper

BookJumper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,735 posts
  • Reading now?:Jasper Fforde, The Last Dragonslayer
  • LocationUK (mostly)

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

every time I am quickly drawn into the world of this lovable young man

I commend you for actually finding Harry loveable - I wish I could have; it probably would have made the final books (which, apart from the change of style that was my main problem, are more Harry-centric than the first three or four) more pleasant to read.

Personally I found him (as he got older) to be in turns whiny and a reluctant "woe is me" hero (a bit like a young Thomas Covenant), and a stubborn, arrogant, "I don't need anyone" brat who thinks he can do it all on his own.

My favourite characters, the ones that made me enjoy the first few books so madly, were the Weasleys (particularly the twins,
Spoiler
), Snape (whose dry wit I love, especially if delivered deadpan by Alan Rickman), the stilishly villainous Lucius Malfoy, Sirius Black (
Spoiler
)... people like that.

But maybe it's just me.

#56 Binary_Digit

Binary_Digit

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

In all honesty, I can't say I loved Harry the entire time. It was hard for me to like him
Spoiler
due to all his anger issues. My wife helped me to forgive Harry by reminding me of my own childhood. There is a time in every young man's life when anger and affront are incredibly difficult feelings to suppress.

In my opinion Rowling did a masterful job of capturing that journey from boy to young man. While Harry's humanity didn't always make him likeable, it made him more real to me, and therefor more lovable.

#57 Karen1

Karen1

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

Reading this thread has made me want to reread the series.

#58 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

I love the Harry Potter books but I was never a big fan of Harry himself. He never seemed like much of a hero - he was just incredibly lucky for the most part, and he had great people around him to lead him by the hand and help him out.

#59 cuddly

cuddly

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

Yeh, you're right. Sometimes I thought "There he goes again with some help to survive" but despite that I really enjoyed reading the books. I read them in german and english :haha:

#60 BookBee8

BookBee8

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:56 PM

Reading this thread has made me want to reread the series.

:haha: I was thinking exactly the same thing.

I love the Harry Potter books but I was never a big fan of Harry himself.

I'm the same. I love the Weasleys. Ron, in particular was a firm favourite of mine. In the books and the movies. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users