Harry Potter Books by J. K. Rowling

I absolutely did not want to read them at first, since I simply hated all the publicity. But at the 4th book I carved, and I'm quite happy that I did. It was really a very good series. Though I have to say, I did not like the end. A bit too deus ex machina for me.

I saw the films up to the 4th, but I greatly prefer the books. I can't really get behind the films. Too much is left out or altered. I guess I am too much of a Potter fangirl, cause that really irritates and grates me to no end, whenever I try to watch them.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely did not want to read them at first, since I simply hated all the publicity. But at the 4th book I carved, and I'm quite happy that I did. It was really a very good series. Though I have to say, I did not like the end. A bit too deus ex machina for me.

I saw the films up to the 4th, but I greatly prefer the books. I can't really get behind the films. Too much is left out or altered. I guess I am too much of a Potter fangirl, cause that really irritates and grates me to no end, whenever I try to watch them.

I was the same way. I didn't want to read it because "every kid HAS to read Harry Potter" so I didn't. I had already read the first 4 because my family liked them, but quit after that. 

About two years ago one of my friends said that I should at least try it and that the final three books were the best out of all of them. They were right, I enjoyed 5, 6, and 7 more than I enjoyed the first four. Someday I'm sure I'll go back and read them all.

EDIT: Just realized that I said this exact thing like a week ago. :doh:  

Edited by BSchultz19

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure what I think about this. Why tell us now?

I always thought that Harry and Hermione would have been too obvious a set up, and were better as great friends. His relationship with the family centric Ginny a better choice for this family lacking orphan who seems to lose pretty much everyone (Mum, Dad, Sirius, Remus, Dumbledore).

Not sure what I think about this. Why tell us now?

I suspect seeing her comments in the context of the article may help.  Also, Emma Watson was guest editor on the edition, that may have had something to do with the timing of the comment.

I think I'm right in saying that the books were always pretty clear that Harry wasn't attracted to Hermione and at the same time Ron and Hermione's relationship was always played in a "when are they going to get together?" kind of way.

Harry may have been the more rational choice for the level-headed Hermione, but whoever said love was rational?

Part of me does like the idea that they would have ended up in counselling, though!

I'm happy enough that Harry and Ginny ended up together. I agree that Harry and Hermione would be too obvious. Besides, if they had gotten together, who would Ron have ended up with? I can only think of Luna—I kind of like that idea!

Besides, if they had gotten together, who would Ron have ended up with?

Does it matter?

I've never really been a fan of the last chapter.  It's always struck me as being a bit superfluous and it also limits the scope for further stories. 

I also don't like the way everyone got paired off.  Okay, Hogwarts is a bit different from normal schools, but surely most people will still meet/marry people from outside the school?

• 1 year later...

Harry Potter secrets to be revealed by new JK Rowling bibliography

I think this will be brilliant.  I've been completely fascinated by the editing process for the books, and I hope this will add light to some of the differing accounts I've heard, and whether they have been hearsay or not.  BUT, it's ludicrously expensive at the moment.  The hardback is £75 and the Kindle edition is currently discounted to £39.  I think it's meant for the book trade predominately, but I'm sure lots of fans will want the book to complete their collections, or just to read more behind-the-scenes details of the Harry Potter books.

In the books, I definitely preferred Ron and Hermione to Harry and Hermoine. However in the movies when Ron leaves them during the 7th movie(?) there is a lot of chemistry between Hermione and Harry that made it seem like they might actually be good together. 

I also thought the final chapter seemed superfluous. It seems odd and unlikely that they would all get together and stay together after going to school together. Certainly, just like in the real world, school (high school or university) relationships often don't last. 

I think the relationships in the Harry Potter books are very different to 'real world' relationships. They went through so many huge and life-altering events together that I think it's absolutely natural that their strong school relationships would continue well into adulthood. And even putting aside their experiences, it seemed to be the same for the generations before them, like members of the Order of the Phoenix had been friends for many years, and some since high school. Maybe it's because the magical world is smaller than the muggle world, but I think their relationships are generally stronger and longer lasting than ours.

I think the relationships in the Harry Potter books are very different to 'real world' relationships. They went through so many huge and life-altering events together that I think it's absolutely natural that their strong school relationships would continue well into adulthood. And even putting aside their experiences, it seemed to be the same for the generations before them, like members of the Order of the Phoenix had been friends for many years, and some since high school. Maybe it's because the magical world is smaller than the muggle world, but I think their relationships are generally stronger and longer lasting than ours.

Yes I suppose that is true. In our "real world" it's so big that after schooling people spread all over the place. There isn't so much spreading in the magical world and that contributes to their closeness. 

• 3 months later...