Harry Potter Books by J. K. Rowling

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to be fair to Bloomsbury, they aren't the only publisher to do this sort of thing - have you seen all the different covers Pratchett books have had down the years? - so why should the Potter books be exempt?

I've been reading Iain M. Banks books for the best part of twenty years now, and as they have gone along their covers have changed three times. I still like the originals, but I have to admit the latest versions look very good indeed.

I know you're right in many ways on this, I think I just don't want Harry's publishers to be economically driven ~ naive and sad I know. :D

I agree, but to be honest I wasn't the biggest fan of old covers. I'm looking forward to seeing what they will look like. But I hope they don't do what Wuthering Heights did and copy the style of the Twilight covers purely because that might appeal to youths

• 4 months later...

I've read all of her series of Harry Potter books. I love them. They get better in the latter books with my favourite being The Deathly Hallows. I was so glad that Harry defeated Lord Voldermort. I don't think it's as good as Lord Of The Rings but not bad.

• 1 month later...

I hate the films but I love the books to death!

The characters, the writing, the magical world, the friendship of Harry/Ron/Hermione!

I have to say SNAPE is a personally fave along Umbridge! POA was particualrly well written and always stands out to me for some reason.

Anyone think the last few books were too long or not long enough!?

I want to hear anything and everything/likes and dislikes/happy memories etc!

Have a great time discussing!

• 1 month later...

Ok here's a question for you all. Did you like the character of Snape as you read the books, or did you like him when you understood what he had done?

You see, I didn't like Snape. I often felt sorry for him, but I did not at any point like him. Despite 'getting' his issue with Harry and his general cr*ppy attitude toward most people, he was essentially a bully who abused his postion as a professor to bully both Harry and Neville. He made poor Neville's life a misery. What was his excuse there?

A little extra question......Do you think Neville should forgive his bullying in light if the revelations in the last book?

Yes and no..

But other wise...I sort of disliked Snape...but finding out he still loved Lily and wanted Voldermort not to hurt her was a shock and then finding out , he played both spy to Albus and Voldermort and worked for both was shocking aswell as finding out Albus knew what Malfoy was up to and asked Snape to kill him if Draco was to fail and Narcisa also did the same out of motherly protection..

......and also finding out that it could of been either Potter or Longbottom who could of be the choosen one was a shocker aswell I was like WHOA!

I think alot of readers always had a suspicion that Snape would turn out to be on the side of good all along. But I never "liked" him as a character. But I will say, as a teacher, that he was consistent. He never fawned all over Harry then ditched him in his hour of need like some other characters. Harry knew what to expect from him until at last he did the unexpected which was to help Harry!

My favourite character was Neville. And yes, I think he could forgive the bullying from Snape as again, Snape was consistent. Neville knew he would be bullied by Snape. Snape also bullied most of the other students who weren't in Slytherin. And at least Neville had supportive friends from Gryffindor.

I suspected when I first read OotP that Snape liked Lily, it was the stereotypical guys being horrible to girls they like sort of thing. Also explained his hate for James. Me and a friend spent many nights arguing over this, you can imagine how happy I was when all was revealed in DH :D .

I have always like Snape, I think it was the mystery of the character that drew me in, wanting to know more, always suspecting things wasn't as they seemed.

I'm re-reading the books at the moment, on PoA one of my favourites :D . I always love reading about the past when Harrys parents was at Hogwarts.

I couldnt bring myself to like Snape even after his "big reveal". I mean, the guy was twisted. He's so in love with Lily that he treats her only child the way he did? It was more of an obsession than love. He was abusive and nasty and he needed a mental evaluation done!:lol: Its almost as if he hated Harry with the same energy that he "loved" Lily and I'll be darn if I'd turn around and name one of my pets, much less a child of mine after him!

I couldnt bring myself to like Snape even after his "big reveal". I mean, the guy was twisted. He's so in love with Lily that he treats her only child the way he did? It was more of an obsession than love. He was abusive and nasty and he needed a mental evaluation done!:lol: Its almost as if he hated Harry with the same energy that he "loved" Lily and I'll be darn if I'd turn around and name one of my pets, much less a child of mine after him!

I think this pretty much sums up how I feel. I would add that I felt, despite doing what he did 'for love', it was a possessive action rather than an action inspired by his feelings.

I think his problem was that he hated James Potter as much as he loved Lily. Therefore he had very mixed feeling towards Harry. Exacerbated by the fact that Lily died to save Harry so in Snape's mind Harry would have been viewed as part of the reason Lily was dead. In the end Snape saved Harry's life and did everything Dumbledore asked him so I can give him alot of credit. Had Snape been more friendly towards Harry he never could have carried out his double agent role with Voldemort.

That still doesn't excuse Snape from picking on Neville of course who he had no such beef against.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this series... I know it's bad but I compare everything to HP - even though HP is really in a league of it's own. It's actually the reason I started reading - sadly I haven't crossed another series like it... it's just too... epic :P

• 4 weeks later...

I read the first three books when I was a child, and then during the 4th got very bored and gave up.

I am reading the series now, for one I feel very left out. Seems the world has read them, plus I am trying to read all the books I own before buying too many more books.

Currently on the third book and I admitt I am enjoying them alot more as an adult, maybe I understand them better.

• 1 month later...