Harry Potter Books by J. K. Rowling

Thank you Lisa, my point precisely. What's the use of a huge fanbase if you're not going to make it easy for to keep up with your output? Of course Kylie is right and the truth will out eventually, still, until then we'll be scouring the bookstore, analysing blurbs and muttering to ourselves, 'does this sound Rowlingish?' :friends0: which seems daft to me.

I am often found in bookstores muttering to myself, so it would make no odds to me!

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a few of the stories in the book. Think "Aesops Fables" for little witches and wizards;) It is in a cute little hard back with charming pictures. I just think its amazing that Rowling could virtually create not just a temporary world but a "real" world with traditions and such.

I'm hoping to read Beetle the Bard soon and the other two - the one about quidditch and the one about magical creatures.

She really is amazing - being able to create the whole world, every single detail. I'm looking forward to that encyclopedia. She promised to put in it every note she ever made about HP world - and she has a lot of those.

I was looking out for the Beedle and the Bard book today but didn't see it about, i think i am going to eventually throw it onto my TBR mountain.

I have never read a Harry Potter or seen a film (same with LOTR) but i have to say that every time i go to a book shop i always pause at the display and have a little look and then think, maybe some other time and go off and choose something else.

Both of the series are fantastic journeys, the hype and hysteria certainly didn't affect either for me. I was three books into the Potter series before it became such a phenomenon though and i'd read The Hobbit and first of the LOTR before the movies. They are brilliant reads! :kissing:

Bad Ned - both series are well deserving of your time and attention, IMHO.

I personally found the HPs went downhill between books 5 and 7 (I didn't feel like the series needed to 'grow', it was the charming innocence in the face of danger which had got me hooked), however I see from this here thread that a lot of people consider those to be the best in the series so I suppose it's a case of what you like. Whichever the best books, the case remains that there is a lot of good to be found in these books. Don't do what I did and wait until a broken foot forces you to discover them, give them a chance of your own free will :)!

As for Lotr... this is the wrong thread for me to convince you of the merits of that, though it has many :kissing:!

In particular Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire are my favourites. I feel the series does lose a considerable amount of magic, if you'll excuse the atrocious pun, in book 5, there just is something lacking from it. Though book 6 is strong and i need to re-read Deathly Hallows to see what i think of it as i rather rushed through on my reading.

Hmm, maybe i'll just grab one the next time i pause at the display and then run to the checkout before i can change my mind :kissing:

Do it! If you promise to read it I will ship you my copy :) Everyone should read Harry Potter. Maybe in 50 years instead of reading Lord of the Flies kids will be reading The Sorcerer's Stone in their Literature classes.

Yes they get very drawn out, the story does need to become more complex of course, but it is quite a steep jump, i feel the magic slowly falls away over Order of the Phoenix.

Do it! If you promise to read it I will ship you my copy :D Everyone should read Harry Potter. Maybe in 50 years instead of reading Lord of the Flies kids will be reading The Sorcerer's Stone in their Literature classes.

Awww thank you :kissing: but i have been enquiring and my nephew has all of them so i am going to borrow one from him and then if i like it i will buy the rest :)

I must say, [The Prisoner of Azkaban and The Goblet of Fire] are my favourite books in the series; after that they are far too indulgent and long winded.
Yes they get very drawn out, the story does need to become more complex of course, but it is quite a steep jump, i feel the magic slowly falls away over Order of the Phoenix.
My point exactly, thank you Rs.

As for J.K. being taught in classrooms, I don't see why not - universities have Children's Literature (oh, the regret, I so should have done that one instead of getting told for a whole term that I couldn't write by a teacher who couldn't write) and Speculative Fiction modules; Peter Pan and Fiscworld are taught in such classes so there's no reason Harry Potter shouldn't join them in either or both.

I have a conundrum, incidentally: I've been long eyeing the collector's editions of HP, only really want to re-read the first four (couldn't finish six and seven the first time round!) but the collector in me does not approve of unfinished series on the shelf... halp?

That is a conundrum, but for me, I would get the entire series because I know a day would come eventually where I would decide on a re-read and get to the end of book four and wish I had the remaining books just so I could see if there were as bad as I remember them!

Plus, the organised hoarder in me, like you, doesn't like incomplete book sets, or DVD collections, or anything else that comes in a set - I want all of them.

I have recently started to read the series, and am how half way through HP and the Goblet of fire. My 10 yr old son is reading them as well (two book marks in one book - and we are competing along. :kissing: ) What I have read so far has been amazing - I must say they hype was certainly well deserved - although that is what stopped me from starting on them for so loooong.I am also amazed at my son's reaction - although he does read every now and then, HP books have opened a chapter for him, which I'm hopeful will lead to further and more frequent enjoyment of other books.

Edited by Maureen
sp

I first read Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone when I was nine years old, when a classmate brought it to school. I remember trying it out one day when I was bored of lessons, and couldn't put it down since, and we had to fight over the book during recess, haha.

I think all the books in the Harry Potter series are the addictive kinds. I'm afraid of picking any one of them up cuz I know I'll never be able to leave it without finishing it. The concept's excellent and I'm glad children love it.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone seen this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/30/bloomsbury-books-harry-potter?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I hadn't realised there had been quite such a big slump since the series finished and I'm intrigued to know what the new covers will look like and if it will work